What is the widest tire for stock suspension.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, New member here!
I just bought my daughter her 1st car, a 2003 Liberty Sport. She doesn't even know it at this time, its gonna be a surprise, so I want to fix it up a little before we it to show her.

Right now the tires are 215/75R 16, they kinda look like bicycle tires, too skinny. Were not gonna lift anything up and I wanted to know what is the widest tire I can get without rubbing the front fenders.

Thanks!

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're not going to do any work to the suspension, I would stay with a stock size. Either 235/70-r16 or 225/75-r16. Assuming you still have the original suspension, it is definitely sagging by now, at least 1" probably closer to 2". So if you don't want to worry about rubbing, at least get it back to stock height and do 245-70's...or leave it as is and put on 235-70's.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're not going to do any work to the suspension, I would stay with a stock size. Either 235/70-r16 or 225/75-r16. Assuming you still have the original suspension, it is definitely sagging by now, at least 1" probably closer to 2". So if you don't want to worry about rubbing, at least get it back to stock height and do 245-70's...or leave it as is and put on 235-70's.

x2 with this. Everyone will tell you that the 245s will fit. And they will...but probably with heavy rubbing. I'm at the point where a new 235/70/16 rubs sometimes (they stopped rubbing after about 10k miles of wear).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, New member here!
I just bought my daughter her 1st car, a 2003 Liberty Sport. She doesn't even know it at this time, its gonna be a surprise, so I want to fix it up a little before we it to show her.

Right now the tires are 215/75R 16, they kinda look like bicycle tires, too skinny. Were not gonna lift anything up and I wanted to know what is the widest tire I can get without rubbing the front fenders.

Thanks!

The problem starts that you have a KJ that is 9 years old, from experience you're sitting about an inch or more below new stock height. Plus the springs are way weaker now than new so when you hit a bump it will compress more. So stock size of 235-70-16s is about it. IF your suspension was newer then 245-70s would do great.
But you're pretty much stuck at where you are

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I change from a 75 to a 70 will the speed o need to be recalibrated.

I saw a good sale at Walmart Good Year Wrangler 235/75R/16 $82.00
Will that be taller or wider than the stock tire I have??????

Dude1116-Where can I get a Hood Decal SPORT 4X4.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

215-75-16 is 28.7" tall, 8.46" wide.
235-75-16 is 29.88 tall. 9.25" wide.

Here's a good site for measuring tires.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html
Just enter the tire size and it will do the rest.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, New member here!

Thanks!

Sorry man you are not real bright
You are willing to let your kid drive ,not just ride, in a car
with suspension that is 99.99% in poor condition
I modified the factory roll cage in my TJ because I felt it was
not up to the task of protecting my family
You are looking for tires ,important yes, but only as good as
the springs and shocks they are under

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dude1116-Where can I get a Hood Decal SPORT 4X4.

Your speedometer is probably off a little right now because 215/75 isn't the stock size, 225/75 is...slightly bigger tire 29.29" vs. 28.69". A 235/75 will be 29.88" it will change the speedometer from what you have now, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really concerned with it, run a gps and compare and see how accurate it is...I've found most speedometers are off by 2-3mph anyway. I would be more concerned with rubbing which may happen with a 235/75 and an old suspension. 235/70 is safer, unless you do the suspension.

And keep in mind, you don't necessarily need to do a lift...just bringing it back to stock height would be a good idea...not only for the tire size, but also because when you corner with an old suspension there is a lot of lean...not exactly the best thing for a new driver who probably doesn't have a lot of experience in the difference between driving a truck and a car to begin with...a jeep needs to be treated like a truck, when you try to corner a little too fast, with a bad suspension, rollovers happen. It would be a wise idea to look into doing shocks and springs.

You can measure how your suspension is sitting by going from the center of the wheel to the underside of the fender flares. There is a whole thread about it on here so you can compare where yours is to stock and lifted.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Easy man. You're way too critical. Sometimes people can't afford it. Plus it's not unsafe like this. I'm driving mine with stock suspension...

and millions of other people do the same with other vehicles. It's not like we're the only ones. But sometimes replacing suspension isn't necessary at all.

Also @ the OP, I got my decal here: Sport 4x4 Decals

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your speedometer is probably off a little right now because 215/75 isn't the stock size, 225/75 is...slightly bigger tire 29.29" vs. 28.69". A 235/75 will be 29.88" it will change the speedometer from what you have now, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really concerned with it, run a gps and compare and see how accurate it is...I've found most speedometers are off by 2-3mph anyway. I would be more concerned with rubbing which may happen with a 235/75 and an old suspension. 235/70 is safer, unless you do the suspension.

And keep in mind, you don't necessarily need to do a lift...just bringing it back to stock height would be a good idea...not only for the tire size, but also because when you corner with an old suspension there is a lot of lean...not exactly the best thing for a new driver who probably doesn't have a lot of experience in the difference between driving a truck and a car to begin with...a jeep needs to be treated like a truck, when you try to corner a little too fast, with a bad suspension, rollovers happen. It would be a wise idea to look into doing shocks and springs.

You can measure how your suspension is sitting by going from the center of the wheel to the underside of the fender flares. There is a whole thread about it on here so you can compare where yours is to stock and lifted.

There is SOME truth to this, but when I tell you I've slid this thing sideways and didn't roll it, it's the truth. (Probably one of the DUMBEST things I've done. I don't suggest it.)

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is SOME truth to this, but when I tell you I've slid this thing sideways and didn't roll it, it's the truth. (Probably one of the DUMBEST things I've done. I don't suggest it.)

lol yeaa...I did donuts in the snow last winter and didn't roll....that probably wasn't the brightest idea either lol.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
KJ's are made for donuts in the snow! ...lol :D

seriously I will add my 2 cents

I can attest to how unsafe a saggy suspension is .. it makes an incredible amount of difference to braking, traction, cornering... just about everything.

Before I put my new suspension in my aging silent armors had no emergency stopping power left and they would easily spin on a mild grade when wet and under acceleration exiting uneven corners.
I kept the same tires on for two weeks after my lift ... the performance was night and day different .. every category improved to the point that I almost didn't want to get rid of the tires anymore. One thing is for certain, they were not the main cause of my problems.

Good Luck,

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Not everyone thinks like the hand full of folks here that do things right the first time J!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good tires/ good suspension all go hand in hand.
Take a great set of brand new tires and throw them on weak/crapped out suspension and its going to ride and handling/braking will be like a big tu**.
Install new springs / shocks / tires and it'll be like a brand new vehicle once again
I've never ran a stock suspension over 50-60,000 miles before

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy man. You're way too critical. Sometimes people can't afford it. Plus it's not unsafe like this. I'm driving mine with stock suspension...

and millions of other people do the same with other vehicles. It's not like we're the only ones. But sometimes replacing suspension isn't necessary at all.

Also @ the OP, I got my decal here: Sport 4x4 Decals

No I will not go easy
This is the type of person who's wife rear ended mine
'02 Suburban 150k miles brand new tires skid marks
showed that the tires were hopping
why? Bad shocks!
My wife's VW with good shocks and tires held its ground
other wise she would have gotten T-boned as well

Replace the worn suspension

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Thompson
I wouldn't be so quick to say that the suspension is 99.99% in poor condition.
First off, who are you to say what condition my suspension is w/o ever seeing the vehicle and don't say 99.99% of the 2003 Libertys suspension are shot.
In fact my suspension is in real good shape given the fact that it was just examined by the dealer! I care a great deal about my family. For one of the many reasons this is way I ask about tire size instead of guessing. I don't know where you get off making comments like this, just because I asked about tire size?????
Why don't you crawl back under the rock of yours just south of DOUCHEVILLE and keep your mouth shut. You should be ashamed of just using such a town name as that.
Obviously you have NO CLASS!!!

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to keep this thread on track. I appreciate everyones positive input, Thank You!

In regards to stock tires. I checked the vin tag on the side of the drivers door and it states 215/75/16. When I first looked at the tire size I was reading the spare tire which is also a 215/70/16. Since the tires on the Jeep look so small I thought they were also 215's but they are actually 235's. So, at this point I will be replacing the tires with 235's.
Is my Jeep the only one with the door tag reading 215's?

Dude1116-Thanks for the info on the decal!