what engine should i put in my 2005 jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramcharge12

Reaction score
shoulf i put another 3.7l v6, a 4.7l magnum v8 or a 5.7l v8?? comment below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The correct one, a 3.7. Unless you got lots of time, money, patience, and a will to do lots of extra work with little gain and possibly more problems. These aren't quite like the cars of years past where you could just swap engines with little modifications.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for a Jasper remanufactured 3.7. My Jasper has run better than the original engine for the last 105,000 miles. And it came with a 3 year 100k mile warranty that included labor if anything went wrong (which it didn’t).

The gov

Reaction score
shoulf i put another 3.7l v6, a 4.7l magnum v8 or a 5.7l v8?? comment below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️
Honestly the aggravation and trouble to try and shoehorn anything but a 3.7 into a liberty is not worth the effort and expense.... seen it tried ended horribly.... built a good 3.7 or purchase a rebuilt one like everyone has suggested in the end you're farther ahead with no hassles, it's not like the good old days where a carburetor and ignition wire were all that was required, computer equipped vehicle's are too complicated and costly to start swapping out powertrain combinations ....
if you're up for the challenge go for it but honestly there's nothing to gain but an ulcer or two...

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
Well the 3.7 is supposedly 3/4 of the 4.7 Magnum, so I would think it should bolt up to the transmission. Since the CRD would shred the transmissions that came with the 3.7 though, I would think you would have to do an upgrade to a 545RFE transmission like the CRD.
Then you would have to address the additional weight. CRD springs in the front would be about 200# shy of the magnum, so maybe OME heavy springs for the CRD plus ARB bumper.
Then I would think the 4.7 would be at least 5" longer than the 3.7, which probably would be into your radiator.
Speaking of radiators, I would imagine the 3.7's wouldn't keep the Magnum cool in adverse conditions, so while you're stretching your front end to fit a v8, you'd have to put in a larger radiator.
Then you would have to address any issues with electronics.

Or you could just find a V8 Commander

beelatch

Reaction score
I swapped an 05 CRD into an 02 that had a dead 3.7. I've seen so many dead 3.7s, mostly from overheating and resulting destroyed heads. I had a 4.7 in a Dakota do the same. Basically same engine, same problem. The swap worked fine, vehicle ran fine. See link below where I mention the obstacles, but they were for an 02, the CRDs were 05 and 06 so there should be none of those issues since you have an 05, should you decide to do the swap.:

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/parts-for-crd-in-other-jeeps-etc.78976/

Latest posts

Members online