What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I'm a bit lost on the "lost shape" bit but that wheel does look to be at an odd angle - in 2 planes.

However, that tyre shows no abnormal wear pattern, which I'd expect with any alignment, & some worn component, issues.

Love seafish's suggestion, oh my, how the other half live! We don't have such establishments: tracking's done at a tyre shop (they might have fancy 4 wheel laser alignment kit - but as nothing else is usually adjustable, they really needn't bother) & the only wear they'd find is something obvious like tie rod ends, which shows up in the course of adjustment.

Oh, & good to have back in the fold, even if it was a possible problem that meant you couldn't allow life to get in the way any longer.
Hey! I hope is all good with y'all! It's been a very long winter and not conducive to messing around with the Jeep.
It had new UCAs and track rod ends 6 months ago and the alignment done. I've booked it in to have it checked next week. If anything I think it may have been set incorrectly. However there is no point buying new tyres with out sorting out the cause first. And yes, there is no uneven wear on the tread.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work’s been super slow for me lately. I was laid off for three weeks, and now I’m on a second week of three work days. So, the KJ hasn’t been worked too much.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the battery, drove it from western CO to southwest UT. Then drove it to western OR.
No issues!
I'm in southwest Idaho, I hope you at least waved as you went by. You'll find that there are very few upgrading Liberties around here.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently seen 3 CRD Libertys in the Oklahoma City area; mine makes four of them. Two of the other three are completely stock, but the third one is a really nicely built red limited. I rarely see upgraded Liberties around here.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember a few days ago when I said that when I hot wired the two electric cooling fan relays that it didn't seem like there was much difference in fan speeds between the hi and low relays?

Well, today I did it again, but also used a handheld tachometer and a piece of shiny sticky on the fan. The tachometer confirms that there is really NO difference between the low and high fan speeds.

Fan speed is about 2000 RPM jumped from either relay.

QUESTIONS:
You must be registered for see images attach

Is 2000 RPM a normal low speed or a normal high speed??

Anyone have any ideas as to why that would be happening??

Bad motor??

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, @derekj. I am curious, how did you get the inner tie rods off? I have not been able to budge mine and am about to have a shop do it for me. Those Moog boxes looked familiar.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replying to myself,

LOL

This is in case anyone else with a JBA adjust a strut lift is tearing their hair out because they greased, tightened, greased, and couldn’t make a squeaking and creaking noise go away. The upper and lower ball joints were never the issue. I systematically eliminated them. Nor were the upper control arm bushings or pocket bolts. Nor the sway bar bushings or links. Nor the clevis bolt. Nor the heim joint on the strut itself.

The solution was to spray down the entire coilover spring with WD-40. The spring was creaking against where it was seated, I guess. If the WD-40 evaporates and the squeak returns, I will just use lithium grease in the places where the spring and coilover shock mounts come together. (The spring is not rubbing on anything like the body or UCA.) Boom. Done. Finally.
The creak and squeak are back. :(

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALSO added a pair of Hella FF50 fog lights with yellow Xenon bulbs into the bumper skirt to supplement the crappy OEM fog lights.

Made some HD extruded aluminum plates a little larger then the brackets that came with FF50s in order to reinforce the bumper at the mounting point.

Then carefully wired into the Hella housings, and left a pigtail inside the bumper but will still need to add a relay harness and jump the pigtail into the factory fogs with a splitter.

I had to mount them a little farther forward then I wanted in order to make the bulbs easily replaceable and the lights adjustable without removing the entire bumper, but even though they're small, these FF50s are high quality fog lights, and now that they are mounted on the Jeep closer to the ground (where they should be as opposed to the oem foglights mounted at almost headlight level) I am looking forward to seeing how they work after I finish putting everything back together.

ALSO have a pair of FF50 driving lights that I am going to split up and mount one in the center of the bull bar and the other bolted to the hitch frame next to the trailer plug for additional backup lighting.

Last edited:

KJRUS

Reaction score
2005 Liberty Sport - completed hazard flasher mod for LED turn signals - other members have reported success using 0.18 Ohm resistor but that still gave me hyper flash. I put two 5W 0.18 Ohm resistors in series for a total resistance of 0.36 Ohms. I was a little concerned about heat from having two resistors in that housing in close quarters but I tested it on hazard flash with my IR thermometer for about four minutes and the warmest resistor only got up to 75 deg F. (ambient was about 72 deg F). Flash rate for turn signal is about 2Hz.

I will try to post a video soon. I am pleased with the LEDs I used - good output and well built (but pricey). Using amber LED behind orange lens gives a rich color and the same for the red LED in the brake/tail light. Here is the bulb list;

Front Turn Signal - 3157 Amber Sylvania ZEVO

Front Side Marker - 168 Amber Sylvania ZEVO

Rear Tail/Brake - 3157 Red Sylvania ZEVO

Rear Turn Signal - 3157 Amber Sylvania ZEVO

Reverse Light - 3157 White Sylvania ZEVO

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, @derekj. I am curious, how did you get the inner tie rods off? I have not been able to budge mine and am about to have a shop do it for me. Those Moog boxes looked familiar.

I have a large pair of Knipex pliers that will pretty much undo anything you can fit them around - I just turn the steering all the way over to one side, pull the boot back, and undo the inner tie rod from the rack. On my truck the only bolts that have given me any grief were the tie rod ends - could not adjust the toe without getting the outer tie rod cherry red with the torches(which is a bit of a no no from a professional standpoint) so I just got new ones. These are the pliers I use - 22" long

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I found the answer to the question that I posted here yesterday.

Is 2000 RPM a normal fan low speed or a normal fan high speed??

The 3 wire electric cooling fan on my 2005 CRD has two relays in the PDC that control fan speed. One relay is labeled "Low" and the second one is labeled "High"

While hot wiring EITHER of the fan relays alone made the fan run at 2000 RPM, when I hot wired BOTH relays at the same time, the fan definitely ran at a higher speed of 2400 RPM.

So EITHER the fan relays are wired in series OR the fan motor has TWO sets of windings, ...still NOT sure which, but probably the latter.

At least I know that the electric cooling fan is working as it should and if anyone else needs to test theirs, simply jump terminals 87 and 30 first on one relay, then on BOTH relays.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HOW THE $)($#)$(#)$ AM I SUPPOSED TO FIX THAT!?!?

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
view up inside, where the visor bolts up.

I think I got it finally.
I finally took the outside trim off, cleaned it up, and blew high pressure compressed air in from the inside.
I saw bubbles on the outside.
I've now applied a sufficient amount of urethane in the appropriate areas to cover all of Rome.
let's see how it works during tomorrow's rains.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Giddyup rides again!!! :cool:

Finished installing the headlight panel with new headlights and fog lights, put the bumper back on, added just over 2.5 gallons of 50% HOAT, jacked up the front end and let her idle and burp for about 20 minutes and then finally topped off the rezzy to the full mark.

I took her for a short test drive into town...she definitely runs MUCH more quietly and smoothly. The check engine light, which I hadn't taken the time to reset yet, turned off all by itself as I drove back home...I musta have done SOMETHING right. :p

Also I think she looks BEAUTIFUL with her new glasses on ;)

Last edited: