What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyre

Reaction score
I added a spare tire brake light. I also added an LED flashing third brake light.

The third brake light flashes fast - 3 times then stays steady.
The spare tire light flashes fast - 3 times and then flashes slow 4 times and then stays steady (as long as my foot is in the brake).
You must be registered for see images attach

@rootleaf
So where did you route the wires? I have one I need to install but don't want to drill a hole if possible.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replying to myself,
Strangely enough, greasing the ball joints reduced, but didn’t totally eliminate the “clunk” noise that has been driving me crazy since the summer. Now I am wondering if I have a bad ball joint, with extra play in it. It could have been bad from the get go, but it is possible it got starved for grease and wore itself out. I had to repair my grease gun today because it wasn’t working correctly… which means I could have thought they got greased when I installed them but they may not have been (or not much). The ball joints were brand new Moogs so I am thinking it is more likely my mistake than a defective unit. If they can last until the summer, I’ll replace the LBJ’s when I replace the steering rack.
LOL

This is in case anyone else with a JBA adjust a strut lift is tearing their hair out because they greased, tightened, greased, and couldn’t make a squeaking and creaking noise go away. The upper and lower ball joints were never the issue. I systematically eliminated them. Nor were the upper control arm bushings or pocket bolts. Nor the sway bar bushings or links. Nor the clevis bolt. Nor the heim joint on the strut itself.

The solution was to spray down the entire coilover spring with WD-40. The spring was creaking against where it was seated, I guess. If the WD-40 evaporates and the squeak returns, I will just use lithium grease in the places where the spring and coilover shock mounts come together. (The spring is not rubbing on anything like the body or UCA.) Boom. Done. Finally.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate people.
Some gorilla put the damn oil drain plug in with like a million lb-ft of torque. then some other gorilla destroyed the head on the bolt trying to get it out, and hammered in the pan. I tried easy outs to no affect. I'm going to try and weld a big nut on to the plug, and hope I can get enough penetration to get it out. if that fails, I think the only choice is to replace the oil pan completely.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate people.
Some gorilla put the damn oil drain plug in with like a million lb-ft of torque. then some other gorilla destroyed the head on the bolt trying to get it out, and hammered in the pan. I tried easy outs to no affect. I'm going to try and weld a big nut on to the plug, and hope I can get enough penetration to get it out. if that fails, I think the only choice is to replace the oil pan completely.
I often find a bolt with the tip bevelled more successful, more pentraton than blobs of weld in a nut.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added a patch of heat shield on the side of the air box and some 1" split wire loom on all of the coolant hoses even though they were barely touching each other. Mostly did it for the looks... :rolleyes:

Then reinstalled the airbox, changed the fuel filter and hooked up the battery and
alternator.

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new AC condensor, accumulator/drier and orifice line are coming in later this week, so Im waiting to refill the coolant system since I'll have to pull the overflow tank from the firewall in order to fit the accumulator and swap the orifice line.

That said, HOAT or no HOAT, I simply could NOT wait any longer to see if she would fire up. I double checked for any tools or parts or other debris that I may have left in her, or on her, turned the key ... waited for the glow plug light to turn off and...and ... then.... wait for it ...

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Giddyup snorted at once... and then started purring loudly, just like the b*tchy kitten that she is at heart!!!

And gotta say that my heart ALSO beat just a little faster simply knowing that she survived my extensive and expensive surgery in such fine form!!! :cool:

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Giddyup snorted at once... and then started purring loudly, just like the b*tchy kitten she is at heart!!!

And gotta say that my heart ALSO beat just a little faster simply knowing that she survived my extensive and expensive surgery in such fine form!!! :cool:
Brilliant! Well done

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have 4 jeeps on my drive & the only one that works is my KJ. Renegade is in bits awaiting brakes and the in-laws Grand has a hole lot of fun waiting for me and no parking brakes too.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I currently have 4 jeeps on my drive & the only one that works is my KJ. Renegade is in bits awaiting brakes and the in-laws Grand has a hole lot of fun waiting for me and no parking brakes too.
As of last weekend, when the running XJ decided it wouldn't go backwards anymore (made a Devon lane more interesting than usual when rounding a bend, further down the hill, there's a tree across the road) none of mine work (KJ's brake job's been on hold for a few months now) - so I'm reduced to using my Suzuki parts chaser.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Result! - but don't fancy your chances removing the old filter.
Filter was practically falling off, when it was part of the reason why I decided to do an oil change anyways.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of last weekend, when the running XJ decided it wouldn't go backwards anymore (made a Devon lane more interesting than usual when rounding a bend, further down the hill, there's a tree across the road) none of mine work (KJ's brake job's been on hold for a few months now) - so I'm reduced to using my Suzuki parts chaser.
The joy of old cars!

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Dug the 07.Kj out the backwoods. Some taillight and tow hitch wiring got stuck on tire and came loose. I’m replacing the connector for the driver side taillight instead of fighting it to sit flush on said taillight. I noticed this ground but from the looks of it I might have to play the guessing game to see where it goes. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 10

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dug the 07.Kj out the backwoods. Some taillight and tow hitch wiring got stuck on tire and came loose. I’m replacing the connector for the driver side taillight instead of fighting it to sit flush on said taillight. I noticed this ground but from the looks of it I might have to play the guessing game to see where it goes. Any insight is appreciated.
On metal...:rolleyes: