What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of shirts like that. They weren't skin tight when I bought them, but... :rolleyes:

(I have been hitting the gym like a maniac for seven weeks now so that is slowly getting corrected.) ;)
Yeah, I had some too. All the work in the gym last year or so for me resulted in an entire new wardrobe...gained a buncha weight.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's like 90 minutes to 2 hours from me, depending on traffic. halfway between me and methville.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My own vehicle is gaslighting me, after all the hundreds of gallons of gas I’ve given it. I checked both CVs, and the one in question has a touch of play perpendicular to the shaft, but not an insane amount more than the one I replaced a couple years ago. To top it off, I drove circles in a parking lot and got no noises. That was in 2wd, so I’ll try again in 4wd, I guess.

Update: No noises in 4wd, either.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The mad dash to get some upgrades and modifications done is real. My home workshop, usually reserved for fossil preparation and fine art, has become the staging area for Jeep Stuff. The fume hood in my personal lab at work has been converted to a paint booth. Got lazy and filled the glassware washer with parts to be coated. Why clean and degrease by hand when I can get a literal clinical steam clean?

It has been a such long time since I did the Winter Dash to build Bert I had forgotten how much fun it is to have a backlog of work and a strict deadline.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask what would sound like an angry kitten under my hood but I found out shortly after leaving work. First the power steering quit, a block later the battery light came on, but I was only a couple blocks from O'Reilly's, the grooved pulley on the belt tensioner locked up. Fixed it in the parking lot in the rain and made it home

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I was going to ask what would sound like an angry kitten under my hood but I found out shortly after leaving work. First the power steering quit, a block later the battery light came on, but I was only a couple blocks from O'Reilly's, the grooved pulley on the belt tensioner locked up. Fixed it in the parking lot in the rain and made it home
And the kitten?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I took Jeepy to U Wrench It Auto in Palmyra, NJ. I brought along way too many tools for too many projects. I had 6 hours in the bay but nothing comes easy on a 2008 that has had 16 years for bolts and nuts to corrode and fuse together.

I did get to work on my Jeep on a lift for the first time ever. That was awesome!
You must be registered for see images attach

I tried to replace those rear shocks from 2012 but admitted defeat when my electric impact, the shop’s air impact, and my breaker bar and breaker bar extension would not budge the bolts. I had an induction heater and got the bolts red hot, but not hot enough apparently. I will need to take it to the professionals who have stronger methods of persuasion.

The lower shock bolts did eventually come out but it was a fight.

The upper shock bolts refused to budge. I got them free from that outer section under the bolt head, (paint now missing due to the induction heater) but not where they went into the frame.

The sway bar links and bushings were on the docket for today but I never got to them. I reassembled the lower shock bolts and nuts so that I could drive home for now.

The day was far from a total loss though! I did a Mobil-1 oil change, lubed all the grease zerks on the JBA lift components, did a tire rotation, and fixed a bad electrical connection to my drivers side front blinker. I am happy with that.

Next weekend I will be back at U Wrench It Auto to do a water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch. I learned my lesson and will only bring one project at a time! :p

PS, the owner of the shop, Matt, was awesome to deal with. He was also super helpful and I learned things about working on my Jeep from him today that I didn’t know before. His shop is spotless and organized and the tools that are there are of good quality. I highly recommend this place if anyone (@sota ;)) is in the neighborhood and needs to work on their rig.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lfhoward thanks but I have a home garage full of tools, a set of quckjacks, and a bunch of cardboard. :D
I only wish I had at least 1 more bay, so I could keep one tied up for weeks/months with a vehicle in the air during the winter, since i'm not allowed to have my beautiful big shed.

I'm also helping a family friend clean up his mother's house (she's not dead yet, but not living nearby any longer), and he's granted me use of at least 1 of the 2 garage bays there for storage and wrenching if I need. Which is good, because I still need to finish the Jeep for their daughter! :D

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Today I took Jeepy to U Wrench It Auto in Palmyra, NJ. I brought along way too many tools for too many projects. I had 6 hours in the bay but nothing comes easy on a 2008 that has had 16 years for bolts and nuts to corrode and fuse together.

I did get to work on my Jeep on a lift for the first time ever. That was awesome!

I tried to replace those rear shocks from 2012 but admitted defeat when my electric impact, the shop’s air impact, and my breaker bar and breaker bar extension would not budge the bolts. I had an induction heater and got the bolts red hot, but not hot enough apparently. I will need to take it to the professionals who have stronger methods of persuasion.

The lower shock bolts did eventually come out but it was a fight.

The upper shock bolts refused to budge. I got them free from that outer section under the bolt head, (paint now missing due to the induction heater) but not where they went into the frame.

The sway bar links and bushings were on the docket for today but I never got to them. I reassembled the lower shock bolts and nuts so that I could drive home for now.

The day was far from a total loss though! I did a Mobil-1 oil change, lubed all the grease zerks on the JBA lift components, did a tire rotation, and fixed a bad electrical connection to my drivers side front blinker. I am happy with that.

Next weekend I will be back at U Wrench It Auto to do a water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch. I learned my lesson and will only bring one project at a time! :p

PS, the owner of the shop, Matt, was awesome to deal with. He was also super helpful and I learned things about working on my Jeep from him today that I didn’t know before. His shop is spotless and organized and the tools that are there are of good quality. I highly recommend this place if anyone (@sota ;)) is in the neighborhood and needs to work on their rig.
Have you a can of Free All?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have been using AeroKroil, which has never failed me before. Is Free All more effective?
Can be. Kroil for stuff that looks like it has been underwater for a decade and can be soaked in a tub. AeroKroil for g.p. use. Free All for dry stuff that may have rust seized threads with thread locker. I use both.

I think since Aero Kroil and heat failed, a good dose of Free All for a day or two may work.

In your case I would have already bought new stainless steel hardware and used the grinder wrench to get the old Grade 8s out.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Been up since 0400. Spent most of the day doing prep and paint on a bunch of goodies while getting a ton of work done in the Lab.

Was not impressed with the duplicolor acid etch primer. perhaps I just got a bad can, but it went on like fine sand. It did not bond well and came right off with wet sanding with 400 grit.

I stripped the primers off the test scraps with anhydrous ethyl acetate/acetone. I then compared and examined surfaces under the microscope. Duplicolor did not etch aluminum well. More on that in the other thread.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can be. Kroil for stuff that looks like it has been underwater for a decade and can be soaked in a tub. AeroKroil for g.p. use. Free All for dry stuff that may have rust seized threads with thread locker. I use both.

I think since Aero Kroil and heat failed, a good dose of Free All for a day or two may work.

In your case I would have already bought new stainless steel hardware and used the grinder wrench to get the old Grade 8s out.
Yup, the first thing I did after getting home last night was order new hardware for the shocks and sway bar links since it is clear that the old is going to be destroyed. :thumbsup:

I will see if I can find Free All in my area. Is this an order it online kind of thing or is it at HD/Lowes/Ace?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting for a tow.

So I remember details later, here is what happened:
- Driving normally with no indication of an issue
- ⁠suddenly no power, can’t accelerate
- ⁠pressing gas pedal causes the rpm’s to drop, release, they come back up
- ⁠red lightning icon on dash for electronic throttle control issue
- ⁠Jeep now will not idle, stalls while driving, coast to a stop.
- ⁠none of this was violent, all silent and without bad vibrations
- ⁠no check engine light or codes (Scangauge)
- ⁠attemp to start multiple times. Sputters, runs a bit when accelerator is depressed but stalls immediately
- ⁠pending code P0300 for random misfires shows up after start attempts.
- ⁠suspect electrical issue with throttle, or maybe a fuel pressure issue.

No ETA yet from AAA… patience, Grasshopper