What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever used the Spartan Helical LSD, which seems to be a competitor to the old reliable Detroit TrueTrac. It’s on sale for $280 right now for the D30 so I have to ask.

If you do get it let me know how it goes. I have been thinking about a LSD for the front over an air locker.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the suckage from here.
My big buddy heater was a life saver
If you do get it let me know how it goes. I have been thinking about a LSD for the front over an air locker.
It feels a little heavier in the steering during tight turns such as parking lots, but really it's hardly noticeable. Performance is awesome offroad. I've got a video of where I get the front wheel off the ground on a steep climb and it keeps turning under power. Forgot to mention that I also swapped in 4.10 gears from 3.73 during my install. Dimensionally I couldn't find a difference between the spartan and the stock carrier.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My big buddy heater was a life saver

It feels a little heavier in the steering during tight turns such as parking lots, but really it's hardly noticeable. Performance is awesome offroad. I've got a video of where I get the front wheel off the ground on a steep climb and it keeps turning under power. Forgot to mention that I also swapped in 4.10 gears from 3.73 during my install. Dimensionally I couldn't find a difference between the spartan and the stock carrier.

Thanks for the info. I worry about the aluminum front diff. From what your telling me this is going to be my next upgrade. Thanks

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger. It may be a bit until I can get around to installing it, but I will definitely chronicle the process here.

Now of course I need to resist the mission creep.

"I need to replace a steering rack and axle seals, so I'll have the front diff out anyway..." purchases limited slip...

"I'll be into the front axle anyway to install the limited slip..." thinking about DIY-ing 4.10 gears...

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger. It may be a bit until I can get around to installing it, but I will definitely chronicle the process here.

Now of course I need to resist the mission creep.

"I need to replace a steering rack and axle seals, so I'll have the front diff out anyway..." purchases limited slip...

"I'll be into the front axle anyway to install the limited slip..." thinking about DIY-ing 4.10 gears...
Hardest part will be installing the pinions, you will do it all to the proper torque and it will be loose. I found that you need a big ratchet (breaker bar), a pinion holder and a lot of man strength to install them. You will then use a dial torque wrench and check the pre-load of the crush sleeve. Another option is to re-use the crush sleeve and go a little over torque to get it right. I would suggest re-using the crush sleeve if you plan on doing it yourself.

Also check the pre-load before you remove it and match it to that if you know for sure it had a great install that is currently on it.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever used the Spartan Helical LSD, which seems to be a competitor to the old reliable Detroit TrueTrac. It’s on sale for $280 right now for the D30 so I have to ask.

I installed one in my 02 last year. Seems like a good piece of kit and I have maybe 3000 miles on it with no issues. I gambled and decided not to touch the pinion and its bearing since everything seemed in good shape and I've no regrets yet. In normal driving I don't notice any difference from the open diff. Jury is still out on how it performs off road. I have a Powertrax Grip Pro LSD in my rear diff and got stuck this summer with one wheel spinning on each axle and no amount of brake application could get the other 2 moving. Wishing now that I had put a locker in the rear diff but still think the Spartan is the best performance / dollar option for the front, especially at that price.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed the FSM to get it done. Went with all new bearings and crush sleeve. Had to kneel on the diff up on the work bench to get the crush sleeve to crush. 3 foot breaker bar. Picked up a 4 foot breaker bar to get the rear done as the torque is considerably higher. 500ish lbs rear compared to 160ish front going off memory. Found a lot of the tools on Amazon (pinion holder, bearing race driver, 4ft breaker bar, brass drift for reassembly.) I did not use a diff spreaer as per FSM, but used the brass drift to carefully tap in the thick. spacers/shims.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people using the Sebring one since I joined this board in 2013. My original one has hung in there all these years so never had to do it myself.
The second time I replaced mine I used the Sebring one. Has lasted longer than the one from the dealership.

Reactions: klc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put in the Sebring board, there’s a post here somewhere that has the amazoon link.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sort of. :D
driver's fender and grill are black (I think, primer black actually)
hood is white
front bumper is from a sport, not a limited.
didn't get thee story on that, but it looks all the world to me like deer strike. I haven't even looked in the engine bay.

$800, and if I can't fix the engine problem cheaply, we're stealing the converter/trans/cats (possibly whole exhaust) from it for the khaki, I'm taking the transfer case at some point (NP242, then install the teraflex 2LO kit), and I'll get parts together to do 4.10s and LSDs. oh and i'm gonna steal the doors at some point. they have a little surface corrosion underneath, but are totally salvageable, unlike my doors which have rotted enough off the bottom that the skins are barely hanging on. :(

I'll start eval'ing it tomorrow I guess. see what the scan tool says.

Members online

No members online now.