What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don’t know. Would I be able to DIY the installation considering I have to reset the backlash, etc.?

I have a Torq locker for the rear end I haven’t installed yet. I know I can do that one myself.
It is doable at home, its a matter of replacing shims, which is in my opinion a lot easier than the rear, assuming you have a bunch of shims on hand. You likely need to completely redo the backlash since the LSD will be different than the OEM, but it very doable...... you could also get lucky and all the dimensions are the same and you can re-use existing shims..... you never know.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever used the Spartan Helical LSD, which seems to be a competitor to the old reliable Detroit TrueTrac. It’s on sale for $280 right now for the D30 so I have to ask.

Currently running one now. Perfect fit, works great, and no pippty popping in turns.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is doable at home, its a matter of replacing shims, which is in my opinion a lot easier than the rear, assuming you have a bunch of shims on hand. You likely need to completely redo the backlash since the LSD will be different than the OEM, but it very doable...... you could also get lucky and all the dimensions are the same and you can re-use existing shims..... you never know.
I was lucky with mine. I put the shims back in in exactly the same orientation and it was perfect as I was gonna get it.
You must be registered for see images attach

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lucky with mine. I put the shims back in in exactly the same orientation and it was perfect as I was gonna get it.
Thats a very good pattern for something completely different. That is lucky. What we generally do is check the pattern before hand and set it back exactly the same, whether we agree with it or not. Assuming it wasn't noisy to begin with and the gears aren't worn. That's only if we are in there for another reason as well.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a very good pattern for something completely different. That is lucky. What we generally do is check the pattern before hand and set it back exactly the same, whether we agree with it or not. Assuming it wasn't noisy to begin with and the gears aren't worn. That's only if we are in there for another reason as well.
I did that with grease, before I had gear marking compound. This was also before I learned about doing with some resistance.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eyeballing another parts jeep. if I get it it'll have 3.73's in it, and it's an 07.
might have to snag me some LSDs for it, pull 'em and go to town.
then if I want more, do a 4.10 swap into them.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I figured out why B2S1 was faulting... the connector came loose. guess I didn't squish it in hard enough.
that's fixed, and we're back to P0430 again, damnit.

I don't get it... with B2S1 being ignored, downstream data was looking perfect. no switch, but with some variation. that means it was running on pre-programmed data, with no tweaking by the sensor.
I guess I need to try a different sensor in B2S1 and see if that makes a difference.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I figured out why B2S1 was faulting... the connector came loose. guess I didn't squish it in hard enough.
that's fixed, and we're back to P0430 again, damnit.

I don't get it... with B2S1 being ignored, downstream data was looking perfect. no switch, but with some variation. that means it was running on pre-programmed data, with no tweaking by the sensor.
I guess I need to try a different sensor in B2S1 and see if that makes a difference.
When PCM see an open/high resistance circuit like that, they are programmed to run on a pre-mapped fail safe. It will use other data, such as the other upstream O2, MAP, MAF and TPS to determine how much fuel to allow. Down stream data more less normal if the CAT is warmed up and mostly functional. An O2 that is functioning, but skewing the data causes way more driveability problems than a sensor that is unplugged.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried tossing another used O2 into it, and it's causing B2S2 to switch less, but still not making the system happy.
I'm loathed to try a brand new one, for fear of fouling it/ruining it if it doesn't work.

plus I can now condemn the torque converter, or rather its clutch. the prior nimrods did such a fantastic job #sarcasm of maintaining this thing, what with having 134k on the trans fluid, a clogged trannie cooler, and leaking lines.

trying to get a hold of someone selling an 06 w/ 174k and "needs engine work", but a bunch of stuff recently done (like manifold back exhaust, including new cats), that's also silver with good doors, Np242, and 3.73 axles.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into why I get an RPM flare on down shift when going up steep hills, only on initial down shift. Letting go of throttle briefly seems to allow pressure to build and issue to be gone. Unfortunately Chrysler is less than helpful on that one, which means I have to actually do some real work in figuring it out. That said there is a star case (TSB sort of but not available to the public) for the oil pump, but for different conditions and mainly cold start.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into why I get an RPM flare on down shift when going up steep hills, only on initial down shift. Letting go of throttle briefly seems to allow pressure to build and issue to be gone. Unfortunately Chrysler is less than helpful on that one, which means I have to actually do some real work in figuring it out. That said there is a star case (TSB sort of but not available to the public) for the oil pump, but for different conditions and mainly cold start.
Sonnex has some interesting stuff on the 545RFE on there website.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like that silver jeep dropped a pushrod (according to the mechanic) or a rocker arm. either way he's getting me pictures of the bottom of the doors and I can have it for $800.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried tossing another used O2 into it, and it's causing B2S2 to switch less, but still not making the system happy.
I'm loathed to try a brand new one, for fear of fouling it/ruining it if it doesn't work.

plus I can now condemn the torque converter, or rather its clutch. the prior nimrods did such a fantastic job #sarcasm of maintaining this thing, what with having 134k on the trans fluid, a clogged trannie cooler, and leaking lines.

trying to get a hold of someone selling an 06 w/ 174k and "needs engine work", but a bunch of stuff recently done (like manifold back exhaust, including new cats), that's also silver with good doors, Np242, and 3.73 axles.
You likely need the passenger side cat

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A push rod he says.......;)
I give less than zero credence to he-said info about car issues, from someone who clearly isn't a car guy. Obviously I'll spend a day looking it over to see if it's something terminal or not, but really I want it for parts.

just got videos of the doors. they're not pristine, but they're better than mine, and should be salvageable more so than mine.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I give less than zero credence to he-said info about car issues, from someone who clearly isn't a car guy. Obviously I'll spend a day looking it over to see if it's something terminal or not, but really I want it for parts.

just got videos of the doors. they're not pristine, but they're better than mine, and should be salvageable more so than mine.

probably.
hence the potential procurement of ANOTHER parts jeep that just had its cats replaced. :D
should assemble a 2nd jeep in running order

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.