What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So yep, that mystery sound was the transfer case chain. Found I must have had a slow leak at the shaft input. never saw a puddle or nothing so must have been blowing out on the freeway. For now got it filled back up. Haven't decided what to do yet. Bert's days of endurance trips are over. Decided that during the east coast run. May just patch things up for my short daily commute, or just rebuild/replace before winter.

I was in a lot of pain during the east coast run, even with limiting myself to a max of ten hours drive time. Bert is a tank for sure, but isn't really very comfortable for days upon days of windshield time. My shoulders are still sore even after over two weeks. I blame West Virginia.

Then again, cant beat not having a car payment and a vehicle that is fairly easy to repair.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yep, that mystery sound was the transfer case chain. Found I must have had a slow leak at the shaft input. never saw a puddle or nothing so must have been blowing out on the freeway. For now got it filled back up. Haven't decided what to do yet. Bert's days of endurance trips are over. Decided that during the east coast run. May just patch things up for my short daily commute, or just rebuild/replace before winter.

I was in a lot of pain during the east coast run, even with limiting myself to a max of ten hours drive time. Bert is a tank for sure, but isn't really very comfortable for days upon days of windshield time. My shoulders are still sore even after over two weeks. I blame West Virginia.

Then again, cant beat not having a car payment and a vehicle that is fairly easy to repair.
If you want to keep Bert on the job, I hear that the 02-04 seats are WAAAAYYYY more comfortable than the 05-07 seats. Check those out in the junkyard and see if you want to do a swap...

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep Bert on the job, I hear that the 02-04 seats are WAAAAYYYY more comfortable than the 05-07 seats. Check those out in the junkyard and see if you want to do a swap...
My 03 Limited is like an old favourite armchair, brilliant seats.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Aw Johnny, you can't blame WV for sore shoulders. A more likely side effect of driving in my neighboring state is a semi-permanent state of vertigo and nausea from all those windy roads ! I live just across in MD and visit WV for some of the finest parts yards around.

Glad you found the source of the noise!

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnny, I hear you on the no car payments and easy to repair. I’d also like to add that googling repairs/parts are easy. I was thinking back to when I had my Cherokees. Google X-repair for Jeep Cherokee, and you get your results, plus every generation of Grand Cherokee. So, you google Jeep XJ, and you will also get Jaguar XJ pages. All I’m saying is I appreciate googling repairs and items for the liberties :D

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Few weeks ago i was in a pinch and decided to borrowed the 07.KJ upper and lower coolant hoses for the 04.KJ Well today the 07 got these Dayco hoses let’s hope they hold up well. Did need to trim the lower hose to get a figment that i liked but beside that went in normally.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new serpentine belt on the 06 Renegade at 184001 miles. I have owned it since 89000 and finally replaced it and it could have gone longer

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new throttle position sensor (TPS) and a throttle body cleaning for the in-laws’ 2004 WJ tonight. No more P0122 code and it seems to run more smoothly and have more oomph when you put your foot into it.

A 4.0L with stock sized tires can really move. It’s a fun diversion from my 3.7L with the lift and 31’s. Man I wish I could regear. There is always something higher on the priority list and a finite amount of money.

razor78016

Reaction score
Ty bud. I have a 2.5" lift for it, but turned out I need to have a spring compressor for struts...more than I'm willing to do in this scorching heat.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty bud. I have a 2.5" lift for it, but turned out I need to have a spring compressor for struts...more than I'm willing to do in this scorching heat.
You can take the strut components to a local garage and have them compress and assemble them for you. Safer as well as cooler.

razor78016

Reaction score
Dang, shoulda thought of that while I had the jeep on stands. Installed new struts and rear shocks a couple days ago.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new throttle position sensor (TPS) and a throttle body cleaning for the in-laws’ 2004 WJ tonight. No more P0122 code and it seems to run more smoothly and have more oomph when you put your foot into it.

A 4.0L with stock sized tires can really move. It’s a fun diversion from my 3.7L with the lift and 31’s. Man I wish I could regear. There is always something higher on the priority list and a finite amount of money.
My ‘90 XJ was quick, even with the “non-HO” 4.0L. It had the NP242 t-case, and it was nimble as could be on snowy streets. I could do some Ken Block stuff with it. All that low end grunt was great.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Aw Johnny, you can't blame WV for sore shoulders. A more likely side effect of driving in my neighboring state is a semi-permanent state of vertigo and nausea from all those windy roads ! I live just across in MD and visit WV for some of the finest parts yards around.

Glad you found the source of the noise!
I enjoyed the "redneck rollercoaster" but it took its toll like a 12 hour kayaking trip. Wasn't so much the drive itself as was the constant need to dodge really, really bad, dangerously oblivious drivers in their junkmobiles while on it...I'm still shocked by the horrors I witnessed on the freeway there. The truckers discussing those folks on the radio was gut-bustingly funny too.