What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
When I went to put the diff mount bolts in the other way around I found that they're difficult to get past the rack bolts and could potentially be in the way if the cam bolts were adjusted inboard. Ended up putting them back to original orientation.
Thanks man. I will put diff mount bolts back in original orientation and see how close I can get with the cam bolts. Also when inspecting passenger side rear wheel sound I saw that the brake shoes are literally gone, seems like that next on my never ending list.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
@duderz7 I put all the bolts in original orientation and boom the cam bolts went into place and now the car runs great! I do have a question are the rack and pinion mount bolts supposed to ride the rack and pinion bushing? It looks like it might be a little space between the bolt and bushing or do I tighten till it makes contact with metal?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@duderz7 I put all the bolts in original orientation and boom the cam bolts went into place and now the car runs great! I do have a question are the rack and pinion mount bolts supposed to ride the rack and pinion bushing? It looks like it might be a little space between the bolt and bushing or do I tighten till it makes contact with metal?
Hard to say without a picture, but those bushings are known for going bad and rotting away. Creative steel makes poly replacements.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No inspection here is how they are getting away with it I guess. Had to do a double take and read the tries, sure enough, car tires.

Man people are dumb. LOL
I ran my old chevy truck with non LT tires on the front, not a real issue unless you are hauling heavy loads or have a diesel

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll keep that in mind, Sota.

I went to the range and then tried a couple forest roads near it. I got a little muddy, but nothing crazy. Mostly, the roads were just lopey. Tomorrow, I’m going fishing, and I might find some more entertaining roads.

You must be registered for see images attach
Love the color coordination you got going on. Well played.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back home and investigating a funny noise from the brakes, previous owner proudly told me they had been sorted...

It has newish disks and calipers, unfortunately they didn't notice the totally solid slide pin... probably why the old pads were re used! Took a battering to get that out.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks bad, I replaced the entire caliper on mine because the pin was frozen, tried a big hammer and a wrench before giving up on it
It was a pain to get out, it gave in the end, I had to drill the first few threads out to get the bolt back in to reassemble it, the other side is just as bad, I'm having a cup of tea before I push on with it. I'll get new pins on order but for now it's going to have to go back with the old ones because I need to use it tomorrow.
Interestingly the new calipers have steel pistons instead of the plastic originals.

5 minutes later- victory ;-)

Last edited:

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Does this look right? With and without bolt and its torque down as much as I can get it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2663.jpeg
    IMG_2663.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 16

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I ordered a throttle position sensor for my in-laws’ WJ. It is throwing a P0122 code, which is low voltage on that sensor. It is also throwing a P0455 code for gross emissions leak. I replaced a cracked hose a couple of weeks ago, along with the gas cap. Evidently it is still unhappy! :rolleyes:

In other news, parts started arriving for my JBA coilover rebuild project. I got some red extended front bump stops! :cool: They look like a clone of the old Teraflex ones I had previously.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Not needed. Is a unibody. Is no frame.
It may not have a separate chassis but does underbody box sections that perform the same purpose, just like XJ's for which frame stiffeners have been available, & fitted, for years. Can't see why a KJ being prepared for similarly challenging off-road use wouldn't benefit in the same way.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back brakes today, I now have a hand brake that actually stops the car!
One rear caliper was solid and had destroyed the pads, luckily I had a good one on my spare axle.

Must have failed a while ago and been driven until it didn't drag any more! Nuts!!
I'm annoyed with myself for not checking on it as soon as I bought it, its just done a fast road trip loaded up with family and dogs, hate to think what would have happened if I'd had to do an emergency stop.
Amazingly the brakes felt OK, despite the faults, however they are noticeably better now!!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your sad news, Johnny. Never an easy thing to do even when it is the only "right" thing to do. My dog had another bad seizure a few days ago and he has got me really worried about him. He is a rotten, stubborn little stinker but I still love him.