What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
replaced this u joint, ain't it pretty?
went ahead and replaced this one too while the drivshaft was out. Didn't feel horrible, but didn't feel spectacular either.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced this u joint, ain't it pretty?
went ahead and replaced this one too while the drivshaft was out. Didn't feel horrible, but didn't feel spectacular either.
It’s hard to put a price on peace of mind, though!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
It was RainX the exterior glass and mirrors day. If you ain't using it, you doin' it wrong.

Also: FINALLY a completely wildfire smoke-free day. We get all the Southwest farm burn smoke (Mexico, Texas and Louisiana) Jan through April, then the West coast forest fires April through September. We got the Canada smoke this year on top of it.
The gray is clouds, the white is the smoke boundary. Blue is power outtages from last night's big storm.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that its been discussed before, but I'm getting ready for a set of tires. I'm buying Falken Wildpeake at3Ws. Here's the option: P245/75/16 112T XL with 13/32, 39lbs, at $193 each; or LT245/75/16 120 E1 with 17/32, 50 lbs at $228 each. They both carry a 55,000 mile warranty. I know that the LT is stronger but I'm concerned about adding that much weight to my daily driver unless its really necessary

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I know that its been discussed before, but I'm getting ready for a set of tires. I'm buying Falken Wildpeake at3Ws. Here's the option: P245/75/16 112T XL with 13/32, 39lbs, at $193 each; or LT245/75/16 120 E1 with 17/32, 50 lbs at $228 each. They both carry a 55,000 mile warranty. I know that the LT is stronger but I'm concerned about adding that much weight to my daily driver unless its really necessary
I prefer the Toyo 10ply AT3s discussed elsewhere. Same warranty, significantly lower priced, and far less noise on pavement.

Local fella I work with running Falkens on his 2006 not lifted KJ and I traded vehicles for a day to try them both out last winter...agreement was the Toyos were a better deal for virtually identical. NOTE: I recently purchased more of these, had trouble getting them. Discontinued? Dunno. 200$ a pop via Scamazon. Original set did nearly 30k of hard time. only had to replace two due to my own laziness of not getting an alignment done after an emergency repair in the desert over a year ago. Shame on me!

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Toyo 10ply AT3s discussed elsewhere. Same warranty, significantly lower priced, and far less noise on pavement.

Local fella I work with running Falkens on his 2006 not lifted KJ and I traded vehicles for a day to try them both out last winter...agreement was the Toyos were a better deal for virtually identical. NOTE: I recently purchased more of these, had trouble getting them. Discontinued? Dunno. 200$ a pop via Scamazon. Original set did nearly 30k of hard time. only had to replace two due to my own laziness of not getting an alignment done after an emergency repair in the desert over a year ago. Shame on me!
Yes but that's not the same size tire; the toyo's are $196 for the P245, and $237 for the LT245. Anyway, I've already read hundred's of reviews for both and for my location, driving style and routine, and my offroad plans the Falken Wildpeake AT3W is the correct tire to use. My decision is whether to get the LT tires, or the P rated tires. I'm confident in the P tires since they are rated at 112XL; the stock Liberty tires are only rated at 106. And when you carry five tires, the LT's add 55+lbs. So unless one of you vehemently suggests getting the LT's, I'm probably getting the P245/75/16 112t XL 660AB.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but that's not the same size tire; the toyo's are $196 for the P245, and $237 for the LT245. Anyway, I've already read hundred's of reviews for both and for my location, driving style and routine, and my offroad plans the Falken Wildpeake AT3W is the correct tire to use. My decision is whether to get the LT tires, or the P rated tires. I'm confident in the P tires since they are rated at 112XL; the stock Liberty tires are only rated at 106. And when you carry five tires, the LT's add 55+lbs. So unless one of you vehemently suggests getting the LT's, I'm probably getting the P245/75/16 112t XL 660AB.
The extra weight is in the sidewalls. If you don’t do heavy towing and you aren’t worried about puncturing a sidewall with the places you go off-road, then the P rated tire sounds like the right choice.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So I FINALLY was able to get a proper alignment done. My usual place waited till after the attempt to tell me they could'nt do a lifted vehicle. Frustrating as they had no problem doing it two years ago...

Feel free to berate me for waiting nearly a year to get it done, however the tires were nearing end of life anyway AND off season I drive less than 10km a week.

However, I must say I am a little pleased at the before specs, since ai had to do emergency repairs last year during the now infamous flash flood/scorpion incident. Not too bad for a tapemeasure and tent-pole alignment poisoned and baking in the sun!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby
I had to bust out the brand new spare today because of a drywall screw in one of my tires. I took that to the tire shop to have it patched. Then when I got the patched tire back, I did a tire rotation and put the brand new spare back underneath since it doesn’t match the others. Glad I replaced my 5th KO2 last month… it paid off today.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dilemma:

I have a chance to pick up a brand new one of these for a lot less money than new… would you install it in your Jeep?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mine is still of course a daily driver, but one that goes offroad in the summer for my job as a forest ecologist. Living in PA, and having family in the northern states, I do drive in snow and ice occasionally.

The reason this is tempting is not only that it is inexpensive but that I can install it myself without having to pay thousands for someone to set up the gears (like for a selectable locker or Truetrac).
Do it! Makes such a difference when going off road

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered tires today. Our local L&M Supply (it’s basically a regional Tractor Supply type chain) has $50 off a set of 4 tires, which is what I’ve been waiting for. So, this week I’ll have a set of Advanta ATX-750’s coming in. They’re a cheap no frills tire, but the set I have have been awesome for winter driving. Total price with road hazard package should be around $600.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Deep cleaned, detailed and changed my load-out for East Coast operations. Lots of stuff mandatory for desert excursions that just take up space I'll need for fossils and sampling. Figure I'll end up with two or three hundred pounds of rock. Biological samples I'll mail back to the labs, but have to haul a bunch of empty space foam mailer boxes and such.

Still haven't decided if I am going to haul Ernie along- is some prime kayaking to be had in Pennsylvania, but I worry about security in the Norfolk, Virginia leg of the trip. Navy towns have always been and always be a bit sle.azy.

Members online