What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I recharged the AC on Wednesday and proceeded to leave town. Got in the car to go to work today and it's blowing hot air. I'm going to throw in some dye today and then take it to my mechanic. Hopefully it's a cheap fix.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recharged the AC on Wednesday and proceeded to leave town. Got in the car to go to work today and it's blowing hot air. I'm going to throw in some dye today and then take it to my mechanic. Hopefully it's a cheap fix.
Hope so!

My 04 is the dreaded leaky evaporator - gotta rip out the whole dang dash.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My blinkers decided to inject some spontaneity and creativity into their blinking today. Right, left, right! No wait, hesitate!

I ordered a used Mopar multifunction switch from Ebay that should arrive in a few days. I find that used OEM almost always lasts longer than new aftermarket. The current one went 209,000 miles.
Was it in step with the music at least?

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope so!

Been there...zip lock bags, sharpee marker and painters tape: label everything! And when you get it all back to, make sure you tighten the lug for the master cable on the driver left foot kick panel, otherwise you may freak out in panic when it won't start...just saying

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
"What a difference a cabin air filter makes! This too was an early mod because the Sport model in 08 did not come with this. I got the housing from a Limited. Fieldwork = much cleaner. So is regular driving.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
4" JBA Lift with 245/75R16 BFG KO2's
AtTheHelm Recovery System & Roof Rack
Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders

M116A3 off-road trailer build thread"

Go on then, tell me, what difference does a cabin air filter make?

Last edited:

Rasfetch

Reaction score
Good luck with that. On my last Jeep, the AC pressure had to be replaced which was only $200. Hopefully it's the same issue. If it turns out to be the evaporator, I'll probably just sell the Jeep and buy a truck.
Hope so!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
"What a difference a cabin air filter makes! This too was an early mod because the Sport model in 08 did not come with this. I got the housing from a Limited. Fieldwork = much cleaner. So is regular driving.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
4" JBA Lift with 245/75R16 BFG KO2's
AtTheHelm Recovery System & Roof Rack
Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders

M116A3 off-road trailer build thread"

Go on then, tell me, what difference does a cabin air filter make?
Not breathing this

You must be registered for see images attach

Or this

Or this

They start out this way

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. On my last Jeep, the AC pressure had to be replaced which was only $200. Hopefully it's the same issue. If it turns out to be the evaporator, I'll probably just sell the Jeep and buy a truck.
Ive done it before on the 06. Not hard. Just very time consuming. Heater core gets done at same time

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Was gonna take Bert and Ernie out this morning to get a few nautical miles of kayaking in, but remembered it is a holiday and all the lakes are crowded with exactly the sort of people I try to avoid. Think Wal-Mart at 2AM on a Thursday, but on the water.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dilemma:

I have a chance to pick up a brand new one of these for a lot less money than new… would you install it in your Jeep?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mine is still of course a daily driver, but one that goes offroad in the summer for my job as a forest ecologist. Living in PA, and having family in the northern states, I do drive in snow and ice occasionally.

The reason this is tempting is not only that it is inexpensive but that I can install it myself without having to pay thousands for someone to set up the gears (like for a selectable locker or Truetrac).

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dilemma:

I have a chance to pick up a brand new one of these for a lot less money than new… would you install it in your Jeep?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mine is still of course a daily driver, but one that goes offroad in the summer for my job as a forest ecologist. Living in PA, and having family in the northern states, I do drive in snow and ice occasionally.

The reason this is tempting is not only that it is inexpensive but that I can install it myself without having to pay thousands for someone to set up the gears (like for a selectable locker or Truetrac).
Do it..I got my powertrax no slip which I hear is similar in drivability to this one ..I cant tell it's even back there until it's working on the trails

4firsts

Reaction score
Not today but over the course of last week. PCV, Spark, oil and filter. Plus had the fuel pump changed at the mechanic. The one I put in less than a year ago died. Son of a b.. I still have a check engine light to sort, plus axel seals and the rotting rocker panels.

06 Liberty

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Not breathing this

Or this

Or this

They start out this way

Thanks, I've often wondered, but I'm not convinced I want more grief & expense (a) because we managed for the 1st 100 years without them (b) I normally use public transport when in places (i.e. inner cities) where the air's like that (c) I probably drive 1/2 the time with the window down.

Oh, & I'm sure when they 1st appeared they were "pollen filters" - which straight away marked then down, in my book, as totally unnecessary. Presumably the manufacturers were told by trading/advertising standard agencies they mustn't tell lies. (&, yes, I'm a natural born cynic!)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's their uncertain behavior on winter roads I keep hearing/reading about that puts me off.
This is one of the reasons I asked here. I don’t know of too many folks who run auto lockers in the rear of their KJ/KK. Would love to hear more.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've often wondered, but I'm not convinced I want more grief & expense (a) because we managed for the 1st 100 years without them (b) I normally use public transport when in places (i.e. inner cities) where the air's like that (c) I probably drive 1/2 the time with the window down.

Oh, & I'm sure when they 1st appeared they were "pollen filters" - which straight away marked then down, in my book, as totally unnecessary. Presumably the manufacturers were told by trading/advertising standard agencies they mustn't tell lies. (&, yes, I'm a natural born cynic!)
The Canadian wildfire smoke is a good example of why it’s nice to have the cabin air filter in the Jeep. Get in, put the HVAC to recirculate, and it will strain out a lot of the particulates.

This was from a few days ago.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I asked here. I don’t know of too many folks who run auto lockers in the rear of their KJ/KK. Would love to hear more.
Many kj's, mine included, came stock with a limited slip in the rear diff. While not the same animal as what you're looking at, they are similar in behavior on slick roads. It'll sometimes want to push the front in turns or a bit quicker to slide out because both rear wheels turn together. While these might seem like negatives they are the same attributes that keep you from getting stuck in a "one wheel peel" situation. These negatives are also easily overcome by using 4 wheel drive. Now I know some are going to get all excited about using 4x4 on the streets, but the only time that becomes a problem is in high traction (dry asphalt) tight maneuver (parking lots) situations. When driving streets that are partially snowy or icy 4x4 is fine and when you pull into a plowed and dry parking lot switch to 4x2. Also my brother is running the same type of limited slip you're asking about in his Dakota which also has a chrysler 8.25 and we spoken extensively about his vs my setup and he agrees with my assessment. He does get the occasional pop in certain situations.