What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. for point of reference, may 2021 the car got all new brakes, all new brake hoses, all new caliper pins related hardware. it's only been driven ~8000 miles since then, and the vast majority of that is long trips to western PA, so hundreds of miles with barely anything but go pedal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
W
Got my 4.10s today. Probably be spring before I get everything changed out. Had to take the opportunity while it was there. Pulled from a 2.4 gasser in Toledo. Southern car with low miles. Poor guys engine blew in town. Very happy!
wish I still lived in Swanton, 3 car garage , heated, we got of gotten you fixed right up in a very few hours
simple swap
used to have KJs from 3 to 5 states there at least once a month plus folks who had built the KJs/KKs etc come out

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
W

wish I still lived in Swanton, 3 car garage , heated, we got of gotten you fixed right up in a very few hours
simple swap
used to have KJs from 3 to 5 states there at least once a month plus folks who had built the KJs/KKs etc come out
I definitely would have taken you up on that. I can change parts but learning as I go. Would be great to have the experience there!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I replaced the gas struts on the rear flipper glass. It hasn’t opened this far or stayed all the way up for quite a while!

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, some weird weather is moving in after raining all day.

Winds are picking up. Heading for home.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Today I replaced the gas struts on the rear flipper glass. It hasn’t opened this far or stayed all the way up for quite a while!

Windy in Ohio today as well

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Went out to replace one of the work lights on the rear. Looks like I may be replacing the roof rack next spring. One of the bars is rusted almost clear through. Been planning on taking it clear off and cleaning it up but looks like I waited too long...

I think what happened is that water got inside the tube and just sat there. Most of it is solid steel but parts are hollow tubes.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting on KJforums. I just bought a 2005 KJ, CRD LIMITED, with 117k miles. Got a great history with clean carfax and perfect maintenance which I will continue myself. It's in wonderful condition, inside and outside; I just took it on a 1500 mile road trip and it performed beautifully. Averaging 75 mph, I got 25 mpg out of my 2.8 diesel. The previous owner had a 1.5" spacer lift installed along with 245/70/16s, grimace, 'professionally' at the local 4WP shop, 'grimace again'. I've already read a good bit on all the threads; I know the spacers are awful, and Four Wheel Parts is questionable; but WHERE do I go from here. I've got plans for my KJ; I want to run Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts at 265/70/r16 on the stock rims; I know I need an OME lift at 2" minimum. I've got the heavy diesel motor along with a steel bull bar and 30" light bar; My jeep must sit level! Also it's my daily driver so I need it to ride well on the road. What part numbers do I need, and where on earth do I order the OME parts? The diesel has plenty of power for the new tires, but I will still regear if I can; are the gear ratios different for the diesel? I have the 5 point selec-trac transfer case, but where do I find the Lok-Trac rear diff? Is it an automatic LSD, or is it a controlled Lsd/locker? Also where do I find skid plates? I can't find a transmission or transfer case skid plate anywhere. It comes with an engine plate already, but I've got a stamped steel transmission pan that I could puncture with my hammer...

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my OME stuff from off-road warehouse.com . You might try deadjeep.com or justforjeeps.com for skid plates, but the transmission plates are very rare.

Enter your VIN here to get your build sheets:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

you almost get your teeth knocked out, first time opening it with the new struts? :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting on KJforums. I just bought a 2005 KJ, CRD LIMITED, with 117k miles. Got a great history with clean carfax and perfect maintenance which I will continue myself. It's in wonderful condition, inside and outside; I just took it on a 1500 mile road trip and it performed beautifully. Averaging 75 mph, I got 25 mpg out of my 2.8 diesel. The previous owner had a 1.5" spacer lift installed along with 245/70/16s, grimace, 'professionally' at the local 4WP shop, 'grimace again'. I've already read a good bit on all the threads; I know the spacers are awful, and Four Wheel Parts is questionable; but WHERE do I go from here. I've got plans for my KJ; I want to run Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts at 265/70/r16 on the stock rims; I know I need an OME lift at 2" minimum. I've got the heavy diesel motor along with a steel bull bar and 30" light bar; My jeep must sit level! Also it's my daily driver so I need it to ride well on the road. What part numbers do I need, and where on earth do I order the OME parts? The diesel has plenty of power for the new tires, but I will still regear if I can; are the gear ratios different for the diesel? I have the 5 point selec-trac transfer case, but where do I find the Lok-Trac rear diff? Is it an automatic LSD, or is it a controlled Lsd/locker? Also where do I find skid plates? I can't find a transmission or transfer case skid plate anywhere. It comes with an engine plate already, but I've got a stamped steel transmission pan that I could puncture with my hammer...
You need OME 2790 front springs and preferably OME front shocks, in the rear 2948 rear springs and either OME 132L shocks or one s for a 99 to 04 Dodge Dakota 4X4 CLUBCAB
then teraflex front bumpstops ( have to call them to order and two hockey pucks perside bolted down to the lower spring perch in the rear
265 70m16s will not work well on stock 7 inch wide wheels , stick with 245 75 16s with stock wheels

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need OME 2790 front springs and preferably OME front shocks, in the rear 2948 rear springs and either OME 132L shocks or one s for a 99 to 04 Dodge Dakota 4X4 CLUBCAB
then teraflex front bumpstops ( have to call them to order and two hockey pucks perside bolted down to the lower spring perch in the rear
265 70m16s will not work well on stock 7 inch wide wheels , stick with 245 75 16s with stock wheels
Gotcha so far. Does it matter specifically which front struts I use?
What's wrong with the 265? Too wide for 7" rims? What about 255?
I flex tested the suspension in the current setup and the rear is definitely hitting the bump stops, but the front doesn't hit at all. Is that because of the spacers, why do I need new ones?
I checked my vin and here's what I found:
5-SPD AUTOMATIC 545RFE TRANSMISSION
LOCK-UP TORQUE CONVERTER SELEC-TRAC FULL TIME 4WD SYSTEM
TRAC-LOK DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE ;)
Differential is a 3.73; at what point do I have to regear? I've got 300lb Ft. of torque at 1800 rpm; driving isn't my concern, but my MPG is sure to go down.
I'm new to the KJ community, mostly only studied the TJ; all my questions are for information, I'm not trying to argue ;-)

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working too much have three vehicles and just keep sinking $$$$ in it got it out of the shop three weeks ago paid 345$ to replace the ignition pin actuator, Alternator twice, battery and again the battery is dead * rolls eyes *
That’s practically robbery! It’s less than a 1 hour job!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've put about 3-4 miles on Bluebert since putting the front end together and my driver's side cv boot split open. Is Napa remans still the best? Only reason I ask is they are charging $33 and change for shipping. I know, not a big deal but I don't remember paying shipping when I replaced the other one.

Reactions: JRB

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Thought about driving mine. Its sitting lonely and neglected in the apartment parking lot. See circle on picture. :)

Reactions: JRB