What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
Been hunting down a weird whining noise while driving. It doesn't happen when revving the engine in park, and only when accelerating. The engine oil, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid are good. I may try changing the differential fluids to see if that helps. Anyone here have any ideas? I may take it in to the mechanic next week to have them check it out.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been hunting down a weird whining noise while driving. It doesn't happen when revving the engine in park, and only when accelerating. The engine oil, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid are good. I may try changing the differential fluids to see if that helps. Anyone here have any ideas? I may take it in to the mechanic next week to have them check it out.
My diff has started howling on acceleration, I think it's the pinion bearing.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, technically its just the Rzeppa joint on the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. It had been clicking/ rattling in 4WD but I never actually pinpointed where it was coming from; now the joint blew out completely.

Reaction score
Yes, technically its just the Rzeppa joint on the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. It had been clicking/ rattling in 4WD but I never actually pinpointed where it was coming from; now the joint blew out completely.
You can drive without the front shaft while you get it rebuilt.
Unless you live in a region where you rely on 4X4 daily.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the CV joint needs replaced, simple and easy
driveshaftparts.com has the parts cheap

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine replacement! Wednesday at 283,000 plus miles the heart gave out. My mechanic next door said blown headgasket. I thought about it for about 2 seconds. Got an engine with 94K delivered from a local yard on Thurday. Drove it home today!

Reaction score
Neighbors a few streets over have a nice Liberty Renegade in black I'm trying to talk them out of. May get my way because they state that it keeps dying every now and again.
My 07 has been running good as far as I know.

OFF TOPIC : Today was a spa day for the F150. Washed and cleaned it, reinstalled the bed topper, rotated tires, oil change, and got my aux reverse lights back and working (had a bad ground). Next will be tie-rods as the truck likes to drive like its drunk. Virtually no tracking.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Bert and I drove out picked up the long-searched-for 1965 Porsche 911 flat 6 boxer and 5 speed transaxle to cram into the bug. Got a stupid-good deal: the entire drive train only cost me 500.

Yeah, I said I was gonna quit VWs but the chance to put 130 vintage air-cooled horses into a car designed for less than half that was irresistible...I built one like this back in the 90s and it was a true suicide machine. I didn't need a back seat in the Bug anyway...

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bert and I drove out picked up the long-searched-for 1965 Porsche 911 flat 6 boxer and 5 speed transaxle to cram into the bug. Got a stupid-good deal: the entire drive train only cost me 500.

Yeah, I said I was gonna quit VWs but the chance to put 130 vintage air-cooled horses into a car designed for less than half that was irresistible...I built one like this back in the 90s and it was a true suicide machine. I didn't need a back seat in the Bug anyway...
My brother once ended up with a bug built onto the front end of a Cadillac with a big block. That was also a suicide machine. Please post pictures of this project, I'd love to see it. I miss my baja bug sorely.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cruise set on 80, ran close to 390 miles , got 28.9 MPG ( with 5x8 trailer in tow , according to the computer
coming back, with full dress Harley on the trailer only got 23.8, turbo hardly ever kicked in

OH wait wrong forum LOL
Let me guess...you got either a turbo Renegade, turbo Cherokee or an Ecoboost F150!

Rasfetch

Reaction score
Well I changed the front differential fluid to see if that fixed the whine I’m hearing in the front, and I can still hear it :( Time to schedule an appointment at the mechanic.

The previous owner must have taken apart the front differential and did a terrible job of sealing it. There were bits of seal in the drained fluid

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My brother once ended up with a bug built onto the front end of a Cadillac with a big block. That was also a suicide machine. Please post pictures of this project, I'd love to see it. I miss my baja bug sorely.
Was it the pumpkin orange metal flake one featured in Hot VWs years ago? I met the owner and the car at a few shows out in California back in the day.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I likely will at some point...it's body off right now and out for a chemical dip and strip. Still practicing my structural welding skills as I have to seriously redesign/reinforce the pan to handle the Beast. The engine has a broken crank and the six-pack carbs need a serious rebuild... the parts alone will cost more than the entire drivetrain did. LOL Then again, I may do a factory resto on the drive train and sell it at a massive profit, then just do a subi-swap on the bug making it even more dangerous.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the pumpkin orange metal flake one featured in Hot VWs years ago? I met the owner and the car at a few shows out in California back in the day.
No, it was one he bought from a guy in a nearby town. More of a basket case. He was going to use the framework and engine to build a fiberglass gt40 kit car he had. He abandoned the idea when he found it difficult to keep the front wheels on the ground even with the engine misfiring on 3 cylinders on a quick drive around the block. Neither my brother or I have ever gone as far as to make anything pretty enough to get in a magazine.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothin' with the jeep.
"fixed" the minivan's left front caliper (pins were crusty. spun polished them, greased them heavily, reinstalled. seems fixed now.)
decided the wife is gonna divorce me. there's a 2006 PT Street Cruiser RT66 Edition 5spd for sale. current/new owner got the spikey pineapple in the exit only when he bought it, as it has a bad lump. He's pissed, but wants it gone. I can fix anything I put my mind to, so sometime after the new year i'm going to offer a stupid price, and see if he takes it.

Reactions: JRB

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have not ran a dedicated snow tire since back in the very early 70s when bias ply's were still the norm and I managed Tire Stores
BUT, today we installed a set of FALKEN ESPIA EPZ II on my new all wheel drive, very boring looking, DD
Nice looking tire so we shall see how they do
Buddy that owns a gas station here close by and still pumps your gas, does small auto repairs etc got them cheaper for me than TIRE RACK, SIMPLE TIRE , and every site I could find out there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have not ran a dedicated snow tire since back in the very early 70s when bias ply's were still the norm and I managed Tire Stores
BUT, today we installed a set of FALKEN ESPIA EPZ II on my new all wheel drive, very boring looking, DD
Nice looking tire so we shall see how they do
Buddy that owns a gas station here close by and still pumps your gas, does small auto repairs etc got them cheaper for me than TIRE RACK, SIMPLE TIRE , and every site I could find out there

Latest posts

Members online