What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Added another tool box to garage number two
Plus some more new tools
Plus , well more to come
Did not want blue but red and black were 6 weeks out, or they had white, nope
harbor freight one but it works
You must be registered for see images attach

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Few pointers as in, what size sockets etc
NOT what needed to be removed he figured that out just by looking and thinking !
you know common sense type thinking
Clearly this not a job for me: my eyesight's just not good enough now, never mind whenever I might get round to doing it, that hurts - but I have to be realistic. Is it worth paying somebody to do it, assuming I can find anyone? Probably not, I mean KJ's are ten a penny (i.e. a dime a dozen) so really have to be considered disposable, much as that flies in the face of everything I hold dear.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "short weekend project" to replace a AC compressor pulley's bearing snowballed quickly and took all day.

I got the coolant reservoir out of the way easily and unbolted the fan shroud. Everything was going great until I couldn't unhook this god-forsaken electrical connector on the fan shroud.

Yes, it's as hard to access as it looks. On top of that, both the red tab and the black tab were missing. There was nothing to push on to release it! The dang thing stole 3 hours of my day. I didn't cut the wires because I didn't have a spare connector to splice in if I did, though I did think about it.

I was finally able to follow the wires to the fan motor itself, unhook that other connector, and fish the rest back through the fan shroud. Once I had the evil connector in my hands I was able to figure out where the hangup was, and what I needed to pry on. I wish the mechanics who replaced my radiator last year when I was on a long trip had been more careful. I certainly didn't break those tabs off.

Finally got the fan shroud off, and reinstalled the short section of wire going to the fan motor. With this out of the way, I was finally able to access the compressor pulley, which was what I was here for in the first place.

This has been making noise for a while, so I figured the bearing was shot. I got a replacement bearing from the auto parts store and was ready to swap it in. Off came the serpentine belt, and then I removed the compressor clutch by unscrewing that central 8 mm bolt.

This is what I found! Eeeeewwww. Looks like a gremlin had gotten tangled up in the serpentine belt. The bearing had a small amount of play, but it still turned fairly smoothly. I cleaned off enough fluorescent green crud to find and remove the snap ring.

With the pulley off it did not look much better. I compared the bearing in the pulley to what I had bought, and while the exterior diameter was correct, the interior diameter of my new bearing was not. Oops. But this compressor needs to go to the junk pile, not get a new bearing. The green stuff is fluorescent dye mixed with R134-A refrigerant that had been slowly leaking from behind the pulley. The mud was probably clutch material mixed with the green goo. At least now I know where the slow leak in my AC system is.

One last pic before I cleaned up what crud I could and reassembled everything. I put on a brand new Mopar tensioner and Mopar serpentine belt while I was in there. Might as well have something to show for my hard work today. The Jeep runs again at least, because it is back together. I have an appointment on Friday at my trusted mechanic to replace the AC compressor and basically check the AC system. And I plan to return the incorrect bearing to the auto parts store.

Reaction score
Pumped gas and, alas, the dreaded fuel burp is back. After eight successful fill-ups without spillage I was getting complacent and thought the new charcoal canister was doing its magic. But...yesterday resulted in another pair of sneakers soaked in fuel. Back to calculating gallons needed at every fill-up and shutting it off by hand before it overflows. Sigh. I know there are fixes for this but I currently don't have the time or place to do it.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test drive to Waldo Lake.Ten miles or so of this, I need to look at the map again. Nothing technical, just lots of holes and rocks, needed to stay around ten to fifteen mph. Crossed the Pacific Crest Trail along the way.
Skipped out on errands and chores.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I’m super happy :D I will be looking into the steering column when I get home. Best case scenario, something loosened up.

Initially, I thought the clutch switch wasn’t working, but I shifted to 4 low and it still wouldn’t work. I also ran in and bought a screwdriver to short the solenoid, but I couldn’t make it happen.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the muffler with Junior....actually let him do most of it. The 18 year old loved it...warms my heart and saves my back. Jeep is running with a "put put put put" sound still. Thoughts? Plugs maybe...

Attachments

• 20220828_151848.jpg
    20220828_151848.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220828_170732.jpg
    20220828_170732.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220828_170719.jpg
    20220828_170719.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Members online