What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was oil change day. The next time I change the oil Jeepy will be at 200,000 miles!

Delayed maintenance is taking its toll though. Check out the exhaust system. I have a new one from BRExhaust sitting in the basement and hopefully will install it tomorrow afternoon. I zapped the rusted exhaust bolts with Aerokroil to see if they will loosen up overnight, but a grinder might be needed instead of an impact.

You must be registered for see images attach

The resonator is MIA.

Going in soon:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
More rust taking its toll can be seen on the gas tank skid plate. I have a new skid from ASFIR that is also sitting in the basement waiting to go in. Meanwhile, the old skid provides no protection in certain areas.

I can break large chunks off with my hand.

Refurbed gas tank hanger (non-skid type) ready to go on.

ASFIR skid will layer underneath that to provide better protection. It’s 1/4” thick aluminum with galvanized steel hangers (not shown) that bolt to the stock locations.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I drop the tank to replace the hangers I am thinking of doing the fuel pump at the same time. Mine still works, but will be 200K miles old soon. Also, I have intermittent no start when hot, which may mean the pump seals keeping the gas from leaking backwards in the fuel line are not as good as they used to be.

I picked up a fuel pump from a 2012 at the auto wreckers that only has 80,000 miles on it that I can swap in.

I am a little concerned that it seems to have some crud inside, like it sat on a shelf and picked up a bunch of warehouse dirt. What’s the best way to clean it out before install? I wiped as much out with a shop cloth as I could.

Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I know the feeling. Lately (not Jeep-related) I feel like I really need a victory or two to get my "can-do" spirit back. I know it sounds like new age hippy-dippy nonsense, but the only way through it I can see is to keep plugging away. In the past when I've been in this situation there usually comes a time when things just start working out right again. Not sure why the down periods start or what actually makes them go away, just that they usually do. Sure wish problems could be spread out a little more to make them more manageable...
Nice to know I'm not alone - as I sometimes feel I am :eek:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I drop the tank to replace the hangers I am thinking of doing the fuel pump at the same time. Mine still works, but will be 200K miles old soon. Also, I have intermittent no start when hot, which may mean the pump seals keeping the gas from leaking backwards in the fuel line are not as good as they used to be.

I picked up a fuel pump from a 2012 at the auto wreckers that only has 80,000 miles on it that I can swap in.

I am a little concerned that it seems to have some crud inside, like it sat on a shelf and picked up a bunch of warehouse dirt. What’s the best way to clean it out before install? I wiped as much out with a shop cloth as I could.

Use some compressed air and a shop vac, maybe?

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Worked on the 04 KJ today swapped in a new battery and also changed the spark plugs. I know it’s not right but I installed (6) laser platinum spark plugs. The spark plugs were just sitting there and I wanted to see how much of a different it will make and it made the Jeep more zippy I’m able to break tires and do little burn outs, lol other Jeep owners that were there stood with a surprised expression that a Liberty can kick up smoke. Can’t wait to tend to the saggy throttle pedal and get some more torque for the low. (If laser plugs start acting up I’ll just swap them out for oem spec ones, this is a get power for cheap experiment)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Worked on the 04 KJ today swapped in a new battery and also changed the spark plugs. I know it’s not right but I installed (6) laser platinum spark plugs. The spark plugs were just sitting there and I wanted to see how much of a different it will make and it made the Jeep more zippy I’m able to break tires and do little burn outs, lol other Jeep owners that were there stood with a surprised expression that a Liberty can kick up smoke. Can’t wait to tend to the saggy throttle pedal and get some more torque for the low. (If laser plugs start acting up I’ll just swap them out for oem spec ones, this is a get power for cheap experiment)
Wont take it long till you have missing etc

Power, 4.10 gearing

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Been having a lot on my mind so went out today and just drove. Felt so good I didn't want to turn around and come home. I may do the same tomorrow and this time I might just keep on going. I was calculating how long I could stay on the road before the money ran out and the idea of a year of being a wandering bum with no obligations is pretty tempting.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall someone here saying the Jeep’s not yours until you drill your first hole in it. Did two today for the hockey pucks. After scurrying out to find a right angle adapter for my suddenly-too-large drill.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall someone here saying the Jeep’s not yours until you drill your first hole in it. Did two today for the hockey pucks. After scurrying out to find a right angle adapter for my suddenly-too-large drill.
That's my line , many years ago on a buddys brand spanking new TJ , he couldn't do it so I had to drill the first two holes in it LOL
I guess drilling holes in pucks count since they end up on a Jeep

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Jeep needed holes installed for the bolts. I thought the pucks would stick around longer that way.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Grand falls aka Willy Wonkas chocolate falls trail ridin..only a few times out the year will these falls be running like this !

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened after getting gas, today:

Also, the speedo says 75, but the GPS says 70. Once I find the issue and fix it, I will probably still end up factoring for the five over.

Reactions: JRB

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Been having a lot on my mind so went out today and just drove. Felt so good I didn't want to turn around and come home. I may do the same tomorrow and this time I might just keep on going. I was calculating how long I could stay on the road before the money ran out and the idea of a year of being a wandering bum with no obligations is pretty tempting.
Yeah, driving always does it for me, every time - I unwind as the miles do; that's why there has to be a very good reason why my Saturday morning is spent on a 70 mile round trip (with breakfast 1/2-way) in my local National Park (that's Dartmoor for any other Brits. reading this)* & why, up to 2019, I did an American road trip every year (& hope to start again soon).

For years now my son's had this nagging fear that I'd buy a van - & disappear over the horizon. Well I bought one maybe 7 years ago & 2 weeks later went to Berlin, but that's the furthest it's taken me.

* one of the reasons I never did get under the KJ this weekend.

Reaction score
Some Grand falls aka Willy Wonkas chocolate falls trail ridin..only a few times out the year will these falls be running like this !
Greetings from AZ!
One of the most fascinating places in a state of superlatives. Greetings from AZ!

Latest posts

Members online