What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question. My in-laws’ WJ comes from an era when Jeeps came from the factory with a ton of ground clearance. When I watched my MIL getting in it today to test out her new heated seats (WIN!!!), I thought maybe I should look into getting them some side steps or running boards this Christmas. They are in their 70’s so getting in and out of a tall vehicle isn’t super easy.

What brands do people like for side steps or running boards? I’d be looking for something that can support a person’s weight and won’t rust out in a year. It doesn’t have to be rock slider beefy, as the closest thing they do to wheeling is driving the forest trail on their Back 80.
Ive been looking on Amazon for running boards for the 05
Mom has a heck of a time anymore getting in it with only 1.5 inches of lift
The 05 just hauls her mainly to DR etc but need something
DeeZee has some nice ones plus APS
Just looked they have them for the WJ as well
Nice size step on both, full length

As much as I dislike them, getting her in and out is more important at this point

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking on Amazon for running boards for the 05
Mom has a heck of a time anymore getting in it with only 1.5 inches of lift
The 05 just hauls her mainly to DR etc but need something
DeeZee has some nice ones plus APS
Just looked they have them for the WJ as well
Nice size step on both, full length

As much as I dislike them, getting her in and out is more important at this point
Thanks Tom, I’ll check those out.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
This may be where I end up too. My wife says I need to learn how to weld. Hmmmmmmm.
The good news is, welding sheet metal is relatively easy and a 120v, hundred dollar wire feed rig from harbor freight will do the trick. If you plan welding anything heavier, then expect to invest in equipment.

A possible route for one or two small projects is to take a night school basic welding class at the local tech school or community college. That’s often cheaper for a one off project than buying three to five grand of gear…they often have “lab times” so you can practice for the class and most instructors welcome students to do real world practice.

This was how I learned years ago as the class was 200$ and a full VW floor pan was 1500$…:p

Got a C in the class, but the floor pan looked great and my battery stopped trying to go for a walk on the freeway.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I should add if going the 120v 100$ rig, should be a flux core wire feed. I use the Blue Demon spools with nice results.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not an awful job. I did it with all four corners up on jack stands in my back yard, mostly by myself. If you don't have a 15" ratchet extension, get one before the job. It makes the upper bellhousing bolts easy-peasy. Oh, and a universal adapter with some electrical tape wrapped once around the joint - that way, the socket doesn't just flop around, but it's easier to get the socket fully on the bolt.

I swapped mine with 79k on the Jeep, and I now have 149k on it with no problems whatsoever. I replaced the trans cooler lines not long ago and did a pan drop and filter change at the same time; there was no noticeable metal in the pan or on the magnet.

I went with a used trans from an indoor auto recycler in MI. It had lower miles than mine and they gave me a 30-day (from the install date) warranty. I did replace the speed sensors with new Mopar sensors when I did the swap, but that was it.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Not too shabby. Quick fix cheapo suspension did its job as planned. Lasted me till 5k miles and allowed me to buy the good stuf without living on ramen for a few months. Tie rod ends are shot. Putting in the good stuff Saturday rain or shine.

Of course what this really proves is one shouldn’t buy the cheapest parts on Amazon. Also proves that junk will do the job but not for very long.

GBsKJ

Reaction score
Got the OME 927's installed today, and did the pinch weld mod for new larger tires that are coming. Job was easy! I did have the springs installed at a local shop. I started compressing springs myself, but got scared. Other than that was easy. Nothing broke. I did use impact driver and breaker bar. Did a quick 2 mile drive, up/down curbs to try and settle suspension. Both front corners i belive are right around 22".

Fedex lost one of my new tires, only delivered 3. But they did pickup 4 according to FedEx. Also just got email fedex delayed my rear springs till hopefully tomorrow.

New Teraflex bump stops ordered this morning.

Last pic is with 927 installed. Back is stock till Fedex gets me my 948's

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the OME 927's installed today, and did the pinch weld mod for new larger tires that are coming. Job was easy! I did have the springs installed at a local shop. I started compressing springs myself, but got scared. Other than that was easy. Nothing broke. I did use impact driver and breaker bar. Did a quick 2 mile drive, up/down curbs to try and settle suspension. Both front corners i belive are right around 22".

Fedex lost one of my new tires, only delivered 3. But they did pickup 4 according to FedEx. Also just got email fedex delayed my rear springs till hopefully tomorrow.

New Teraflex bump stops ordered this morning.

Last pic is with 927 installed. Back is stock till Fedex gets me my 948's

Good job on the pinch welds
Have you gotten an alignment yet ??

GBsKJ

Reaction score
No alignment yet. I told the guys at the tire shop I would be bringing in Jeep for alignment though. I want to get rear springs in first. Then I'll drive to shop with the new tires. Get them mounted and aligned.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone decided to leave a shelving unit in the middle of the interstate the other night. No where to go with vehicles on either side so...I played the physics game and dropped the hammer. I lost..took out the radiator and ac thingy as well as radiator support. My Friday night: pulling out the carnage and prepping for support swap.

Attachments

• 20211015_194115.jpg
    20211015_194115.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211015_194212.jpg
    20211015_194212.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 21

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest challenge so far is I thought the radiator support was bolt in....nope, it needs to be welded. Time to call in some favors.

Last edited:

GBsKJ

Reaction score
Scored a Warn Zeon 10S for 700 bucks!! 1700 dollar winch!! Plus a few extra goodies for winch. Guy had on his Jeep for just a year, never used for recovery, then he sold Jeep and put this in storage for a year. I called Warn to get a replacement "Warn decal" for front of winch. They shipped one out for free! Guy had taken it off
so not to advertise he had a Warn. Couldn't pass it up for the price. Guy was asking 800 but would not drive 50 miles to meet me half way. He lives about 110 miles from me. Offered 700 because I had to drive. But was well worth the trip I think. I ordered a Curt front hitch mount. This will be a portable winch for my other vehicles. 10S I feel is the sweet spot. 12S too much winch for my needs.....

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Today was the day of great jubilation.
Back in May I bought Bert the ScienceMobile for 500$. My wife, friends, and coworkers all told me it wouldn’t be a good idea. A few months and a few grand in parts (some necessary, lots just for fun) I present you with this:

Bert and I have survived the desert, the mountains, and the Great Plains in search of bugs, slime and solitude together.

Would not have been possible without all the great advice from yinze.

Thank you.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, as I am ordering replacement pieces, I could use a little assistance. Directly in front of the radiator support bar, behind the front bumper there is a snap on plastic cover for a large bundle of wires (whoever thought is was a good idea to run these wires in such an exposed location...smh) what is the name of this cover? Looking on Rock Auto I see an "Air Dam"...is that what I want? I am wondering if i could raise this bundle and run it behind the front frame member where the brake lines run. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Airdam.JPG
    Airdam.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 6

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey gang, as I am ordering replacement pieces, I could use a little assistance. Directly in front of the radiator support bar, behind the front bumper there is a snap on plastic cover for a large bundle of wires (whoever thought is was a good idea to run these wires in such an exposed location...smh) what is the name of this cover? Looking on Rock Auto I see an "Air Dam"...is that what I want? I am wondering if i could raise this bundle and run it behind the front frame member where the brake lines run. Thoughts?
Hope this helps.
Here is your KJ 2006 Parts Fiche Link: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/06kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf
Let's hope all the wiring works. Not sure if there is room to move the bundle.
See attached image.

Attachments

• Air Dam KJ.jpg
    Air Dam KJ.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts