What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. When I flushed mine I was lucky I pulled out as much fluid as I could from the reservoir. There were bits and pieces of unidentifiable stuff coming out with the fluid. I kept refilling and sucking it out until no more bits came out. Had I just pulled a bleed on the lined I surely would have dragged those bits into the line. Mine has 140K on it. The fluid looked dark brown, too. Not sure when it was done last. This is a new to me Jeep. Pick up a turkey baster and pull the fluid and refil and pull until it comes out clean, then **** thew lines back and pull that crud out. Then you can do a down town brake bleed.

Are you sure the pistons aren't sticking in the calipers? You may have developed a ring of rust on the pistons.
I replace the fluid every time I change the brakes, so the fluid is only a a little over a year old.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I replace the fluid every time I change the brakes, so the fluid is only a a little over a year old.
Are you sure the caliper is going in and out as it should.
I have had them ( not on a KJ but ) that would seem to stick/ drag on one side and stick at times
Like the piston was trying to come out on one side more than the other, strange yes but happened
Ended up being the seal had a bad place on it causing the issues on one of them
Spot of rust caused it on another one
all got new calipers

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any problems compressing the piston back in the last time I worked on it, or any visible issues with the seal, but I guess anything is possible.
I could try and work the the piston to full ****** I supposed. if I pull the inner pad, bolt the caliper back up, then press on the brake pedal, it won't push out the piston I don't think.

As another thought, let's assume it's a heat related problem; as in the brakes get warm enough to cause something to stick, and cause the caliper to hang up.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
May very of been BUT who overfilled/ let that much moisture down in there?
I mean I have replaced spark plugs in at least 70 or so KJs and have never found that or any moisture like presence in any plug area especially in that area ( and would be 4 or 6 if someone overfilled / whatever as 5 is on the other side)
Wondering if had been parked with the hood open for a while? Never seen anything like that, even on junkers I pulled out of fields and such… unless the hood/decklid was missing/open or the vehicle went swimming in a flood.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I added 2 bottles of Techron to clean out the fuel system and remove some carbon build up, and I also purchased the NGK copper spark plugs that I'll be changing next weekend. Currently waiting on my coil spring isolators to come in so I can also install my new lift kit this month.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was TLC day for my In-Laws’ 2004 WJ.

First I fixed a broken ground wire in the door jamb area that caused the windows, locks, and mirrors all to not function. I am hoping it was also the source of a parasitic draw that had been flattening their battery. More on that tomorrow after it sits overnight.

Next I wired up a heated seat kit to the cigarette lighter, which turns on and off with the key. I did a surgery on the cigarette lighter bezel so I could put the switches in the stock location. Everything works as it should, but I haven’t installed the seat heaters in the seats yet.

Tomorrow’s task is to remove and dissect the front seats, replace the foam cushions with new, stick on the heating elements, and put the upholstery back on. I did this on my KK a few years ago and seat upholstery is a bear. I am armed with hog ring pliers though, so I will prevail!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Today was TLC day for my In-Laws’ 2004 WJ.

First I fixed a broken ground wire in the door jamb area that caused the windows, locks, and mirrors all to not function. I am hoping it was also the source of a parasitic draw that had been flattening their battery. More on that tomorrow after it sits overnight.

Next I wired up a heated seat kit to the cigarette lighter, which turns on and off with the key. I did a surgery on the cigarette lighter bezel so I could put the switches in the stock location. Everything works as it should, but I haven’t installed the seat heaters in the seats yet.

Tomorrow’s task is to remove and dissect the front seats, replace the foam cushions with new, stick on the heating elements, and put the upholstery back on. I did this on my KK a few years ago and seat upholstery is a bear. I am armed with hog ring pliers though, so I will prevail!
Wait. Aftermarket seat heaters? I’m intrigued as I have a 12v relay circuit open and am interested in not freezing my cheeks this winter …which did you use?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a kit from Ebay, about $75 or so. It came with 4 heating pads, wiring harnesses, and 2 switches. It’s a generic kit, and can be used on any vehicle. We were looking for a kit that had switches that could do a high and low setting. There are lots of options available.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a link to that kit? Gets pretty cold here in the Cleveland area.

(Spent the last two weekends installing a chimney liner and overhauling my old woodstove.)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hopefully the weather will hold this weekend. Got rained out for the third window cabinets and the rest of the lighting wiring.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a link to that kit? Gets pretty cold here in the Cleveland area.

(Spent the last two weekends installing a chimney liner and overhauling my old woodstove.)
Here is what we got for the WJ:

Similar kit but with circular switches:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s official. Strike four. :oops: The fourth KK gas tank skid plate I found was rusted out too. Bummer. I think I need to be checking Arizona junkyards instead.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
It’s official. Strike four. :oops: The fourth KK gas tank skid plate I found was rusted out too. Bummer. I think I need to be checking Arizona junkyards instead.
I've been searching around for them for you too as I search for one for Bert. Try "NOS" as part of the search, you may find some New Old Stock that way, though I have struck out for both KJ and KK.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I've been searching around for them for you too as I search for one for Bert. Try "NOS" as part of the search, you may find some New Old Stock that way, though I have struck out for both KJ and KK.
The next step may be a rusted out one and a lot of welding of donor steel.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question. My in-laws’ WJ comes from an era when Jeeps came from the factory with a ton of ground clearance. When I watched my MIL getting in it today to test out her new heated seats (WIN!!!), I thought maybe I should look into getting them some side steps or running boards this Christmas. They are in their 70’s so getting in and out of a tall vehicle isn’t super easy.

What brands do people like for side steps or running boards? I’d be looking for something that can support a person’s weight and won’t rust out in a year. It doesn’t have to be rock slider beefy, as the closest thing they do to wheeling is driving the forest trail on their Back 80.