What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on the power steering pump then, just in case. I wonder if that’s part of my fuel economy problem as well, I don’t think mine has ever been changed, and I’m at 235000 miles on it.

Out of curiosity, what’s normal mileage for you? I’m getting 14-15.5mpg on average, and I know part of it is I need 4.10 gears, but I wonder if there’s more going on as well, as I would expect higher economy than that with all my freeway driving.

I set the cruise control whenever applicable, cruise set, 55mph rural two-lanes I get 23+ easily. On the expressway, which I drive a specific 200 mile round trip once, sometimes twice per week for work, I had been getting 19.5-20 once the weather got a bit nicer, with properly inflated tires. Cruise control set where safe to do so for as long as I can, 69-72mph.

This week, re-doing the calculations, I gained 1mpg, and have averaged 21.4, seeing as high as 21.9. I'll take that. I'm still looking for a 30mpg economy car on the used market for those drives... it's not the $25-$30 in gas per trip, or the comfort (or lack thereof) in the Jeep, it's that I have 148,000 and climbing and I don't want to accelerate wear and tear on the vehicle.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed the 265-75-16s my mileage went to 14-15, 2 weeks later when the 4.10s went in back up to 21-22 on the highway at 75 plus MPH
They are a dog with larger tires installed, that why even with the 265-70-16s on my 03 I installed 4.10s, makes driving a pleasure
The gears are my next big project on the Jeep. I’m hoping to find a cheap front axle somewhere with 4.10s. The rear axles seem to be all over, just can’t find the front around here.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set the cruise control whenever applicable, cruise set, 55mph rural two-lanes I get 23+ easily. On the expressway, which I drive a specific 200 mile round trip once, sometimes twice per week for work, I had been getting 19.5-20 once the weather got a bit nicer, with properly inflated tires. Cruise control set where safe to do so for as long as I can, 69-72mph.

This week, re-doing the calculations, I gained 1mpg, and have averaged 21.4, seeing as high as 21.9. I'll take that. I'm still looking for a 30mpg economy car on the used market for those drives... it's not the $25-$30 in gas per trip, or the comfort (or lack thereof) in the Jeep, it's that I have 148,000 and climbing and I don't want to accelerate wear and tear on the vehicle.
I don’t mind the wear and tear on the vehicle for now, but I’d love to get more than 200-230 miles out of a tank, I don’t like paying that much, especially in the summer when my work is slow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not much to report other than an oil change today, mainly to get the battery properly load tested.
I am very pleased to see after 8 years Midtronics reporting 957CCA.
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like I may get 10 years from The Odyssey !

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
The gears are my next big project on the Jeep. I’m hoping to find a cheap front axle somewhere with 4.10s. The rear axles seem to be all over, just can’t find the front around here.
I also had a question or 2 about regearing...not sure if I should make a new thread though.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a question or 2 about regearing...not sure if I should make a new thread though.
I know I’ve asked a fair amount of questions about gearing, I may have some answers based on what I’ve learned on this forum. But it’s not something I’ve personally done, Tom has just answered all my questions.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
ask away
not rocket science
Nah, more like rocket surgery. Or brain science.
Been browsing some posts, and I've seen references to just swapping what I have now for a scrapyard rear. Now I've swapped rears before, 07 to 07 3.73s, but the 4cyl 4.10s have a different ABS? Also seeing 2 dates of 4.10 while searching from 4/18/05 and through 4/19/05, which adds to the confusion.
TLDR; Is there a particular year/type I need to swap into a 2007?

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been browsing some posts, and I've seen references to just swapping what I have now for a scrapyard rear. Now I've swapped rears before, 07 to 07 3.73s, but the 4cyl 4.10s have a different ABS? Also seeing 2 dates of 4.10 while searching from 4/18/05 and through 4/19/05, which adds to the confusion.

On 07's it might be better to put the R&P in your 07 diffs.With new master install kits.
That's how I did my 07.
I think (I may be wrong) 05 and up use metric bolts on the ring.

Gyro

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Regear your diffs, I may have a full set coming in soon. 4.10s front and rear, whole kit for both ends

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Regear your diffs, I may have a full set coming in soon. 4.10s front and rear, whole kit for both ends
Aww, was hoping to go the easy route :p . It's good to know though, glad I kept my old rear end up on blocks. Thanks for the info, y'all have been great time and again (Especially Encyclopedia Mudd) Time for more research and pricing...

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving it and admiring it, especially when you did a Wax Job good enough that when it heavy rains it practically washes the Jeep for you.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone know what the sensor (?) in the center of this picture is? This is on an engine out of an '08 KK. My '05 engine doesn't have anything there.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's not a sensor; that's a block heater.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started looking for a cheap route to 4.10s for the 02... nothing came up.

Still still poking around trying to figure out why my 02 front sagged while the 03 didn’t

Only variable was the shock used - OME vs Bilstein

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Started looking for a cheap route to 4.10s for the 02... nothing came up.

Still still poking around trying to figure out why my 02 front sagged while the 03 didn’t

Only variable was the shock used - OME vs Bilstein
For the 02, 4.10 diffs from 4 cylinder gassers are still out there, just had a guy tell me of a set at the gas station the other day
( I have people that know what I want in gas stations, parts stores etc and when they hear of anything will let me know )
But last front and rear I picked up was 350 bucks I think for both and 20 minutes away from me. Only had 50 some thousand miles on them before son rolled it.
Start looking, calling junk yards, looking them up online

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
For the 02, 4.10 diffs from 4 cylinder gassers are still out there, just had a guy tell me of a set at the gas station the other day
( I have people that know what I want in gas stations, parts stores etc and when they hear of anything will let me know )
But last front and rear I picked up was 350 bucks I think for both and 20 minutes away from me. Only had 50 some thousand miles on them before son rolled it.
Start looking, calling junk yards, looking them up online
That reminds me, all I need is a rear. Also ideas on any sites? I know LKQ, anything comparable?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered that route Tom, might just do that. Or possibly DuraCoat.
Powder coating held up pretty well on the KJ hooks over the years. Granted they didn't get a whole lot of use, but they did come in handy from time to time.
And I have a coworker that is all set up to powder coat in his garage.

Latest posts

Members online