What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver's side is the easy side. :Insane: The other side will make you yell a little bit.

It looks like that's mainly a matter of taking a bunch of other stuff out first though, after which the bolts will be accessible without too many issues.

Or am I being way too positive about this? :icon_confused:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like that's mainly a matter of taking a bunch of other stuff out first though, after which the bolts will be accessible without too many issues.

Or am I being way too positive about this? :icon_confused:

It's good to start with a positive mindset. :winner_third_h4h:

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the engine out and on the stand so I can give it a good once over.

Immediately noticed drivers side motor mount was completely torn and passenger side is cracking.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Twice now in my life I had a vehicle end up like that when I was supposed to be only doing a "tune up"

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just pretend it's a ferrari. you're doing the required engine out service.

justjeeps

Reaction score
The driver's side is the easy side. :Insane: The other side will make you yell a little bit.

Looks like you picked the EASY one first....ha ha - had to do that twice on my old 03.. first time I used the cheap 100$ spacer / gaskets, and after a few years had to do it again with some Felpro.

I broke a cam / oil basket bolt the first time, when I refused to pay that much for valve cover gaskets. I used black rtv and when it started there wall a h'' of loud grind, turned it right off of coarse but the damage was done.

Drove several thousand miles on it before I opted to "Not pull the timing chain and drilled and tapped for a new bolt" on that cam / oil basket "not sure what it is called but it on the back of the sprocket to throw oil..

Sorry those gaskets are for clearance to......

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to start with a positive mindset. :winner_third_h4h:

It actually wasn't too bad, and less frustrating than the driver's side (although in hindsight, I probably could have made things a lot easier for myself there by taking out the battery and battery tray).

After I put everything back together and started the engine smoke started coming from the engine compartment. Initially I thought it was coming from the valve cover, and that maybe I had not torqued the bolts enough. However, upon further inspection the smoke turned out to be coming from the Y-pipe, in front of the catalytic converter. I'm thinking/hoping it's just caused by coolant that spilled and dripped down when I took out the overflow tank. An exhaust leak suddenly developing out of nowhere would be quite a coincidence.

The only bad thing actually happened when I tried to tighten down the bolts on the driver's side a bit more. Of course, one of them broke off... So far it's looking like the other bolts are holding everything together well enough to prevent any leaks. I really hope it stays that way, I really don't want to have to take it apart again and try to extract that broken bolt.

Last edited:

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you picked the EASY one first....ha ha - had to do that twice on my old 03.. first time I used the cheap 100$ spacer / gaskets, and after a few years had to do it again with some Felpro.

I broke a cam / oil basket bolt the first time, when I refused to pay that much for valve cover gaskets. I used black rtv and when it started there wall a h'' of loud grind, turned it right off of coarse but the damage was done.

Drove several thousand miles on it before I opted to "Not pull the timing chain and drilled and tapped for a new bolt" on that cam / oil basket "not sure what it is called but it on the back of the sprocket to throw oil..

Sorry those gaskets are for clearance to......

I'm assuming you meant cheap $10 gaskets? $100 for some valve cover gaskets would be ridiculous :icon_razz:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant cheap $10 gaskets? $100 for some valve cover gaskets would be ridiculous :icon_razz:
When I had the timing gear done a few months ago I was charged $225 a piece for valve cover gaskets (AU$) I clean forgot to order them with the timing set.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the timing gear done a few months ago I was charged $225 a piece for valve cover gaskets (AU$) I clean forgot to order them with the timing set.

Wow... I got the Felpro set for $47.50 (that's the valve cover gaskets themselves, grommets, and the oil filler gasket). And that's the set for the plastic valve covers, the set for the steel ones is even cheaper.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything Jeep is highway robbery in Australia the timing gear kit itself cost me $460 to ship it over to go into an independent Auto parts supplier over $800 only reason I did thus one was it was already in the shop and I couldn't afford to wait

dhula

Reaction score
Did a bit to the KJ today. First bit of real work apart from an oil/filter change and a clean/reoil of the K&N air filter a week or so ago.

Fitted up a headlight booster wiring harness I had sitting in the shed. Probably not really needed as I don't intend to fit higher wattage bulbs but at least there is a true 12+v at the headlight now which combined with the Narva +60 bulbs (standard wattage) should mean a better light output.
Also got my hands dirty a bit when I dismantled and cleaned the MAF sensor and BP/IAT sensor (KJ is a CRD). Holly cow batman, they were filthy with the BP/IAT fully clogged with crap. All going well it should improve the po-war and economy.

Got a few more jobs on the cards to get done before I start modding to make the KJ more camping ready --> fuel filter change, Tx, Tcase and diff oil change, fix a slight rattle in the rear pass door, see if I can disable the "key in ign" chime, recovery hooks/whatever front and back plus a couple of other smallish jobs to tidy things up.

Last edited:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
returned the cv axle since they sent me a new one which is too short and not remand like i had ordered offline of course at NAPA ( Never Any Parts Available) so now i wait on the UPS man again

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I broke it again...........................

Brake checked a lowered civic(totalled it by the way,Riddler diff cover=1 and civic=0) but broke the L/F caliper and bent the mounting bracket which cut into the rim.Must have been a bad remaned caliper I guess but I did lock up all 4 wheels which is alot of stress with brakes not exactly designed for a 6200+lbs vehicle.

15 year old didn't have insurance either:favorites68:

Sorry no pics of his car but took out the bumper(and both annoying pink HID's),hood,core support,radiator/AC condenser,cooling fan,intake manifold,PS pump(and all brackets),and sheared the valve cover and cams off the head when he went under the rear of my KJ.The gas tank skid did all of that and he finally stopped when he met my rear diff cover,not a scratch on the gas tank skid(Kilby gas tank skid).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to borrow that one! LOL. My local Napa *****. 3 or 4 times I've gone in there to buy something, they don't have it. Ok. Ask them to order it. They say "Ok, but it'll be $10 shipping and it will be here in 2 days." Whatever, they're the only auto part store that charges shipping and doesn't get it in 24 hours or less. Go 2 days later to pick up said part. "Whoever took that order didn't finalize it, so it never went through. We don't have your part. But we can order it again."

Contrast to Oreillys....orders in by 11 will arrive later in the afternoon (4ish). Orders after 11 will be ready for pickup when the store opens the next morning. Never charge a dime for shipping.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Brake checked a lowered civic(totalled it by the way,Riddler diff cover=1 and civic=0) but broke the L/F caliper and bent the mounting bracket which cut into the rim.Must have been a bad remaned caliper I guess but I did lock up all 4 wheels which is alot of stress with brakes not exactly designed for a 6200+lbs vehicle.

Sorry no pics of his car but took out the bumper(and both annoying pink HID's),hood,core support,radiator/AC condenser,cooling fan,intake manifold,PS pump(and all brackets),and sheared the valve cover and cams off the head when he went under the rear of my KJ.The gas tank skid did all of that and he finally stopped when he met my rear diff cover,not a scratch on the gas tank skid(Kilby gas tank skid).

Thanks for taking another ricer off the road!:happy175:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score

great product testing :icon_razz:

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great job causing a crash! You showed him! :winner_third_h4h: