What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of work on front suspension:
  • Replaced both half shafts
  • Replaced both lower ball joints
  • Removed, disassembled, lubricated and reinstalled sway bar

My 03 Liberty has been clunking when turning, and squeeking at even the smallest of bumps or road imperfections. When disassembling the front end suspension to replace the half shafts, found that lower ball joints had torn boots, so I replaced them too.

Squeaks appeared to be caused by dry or otherwise un-lubricated sway bar bushings.

It was a long hard fight (I only have gravel driveway, and not particularly level) but I emerged victorious.

Incidentally, someone ought to tell Chrysler that getting the half shaft out through the clevis is difficult enough that it is easier to just remove the clevis bracket entirely.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, someone ought to tell Chrysler that getting the half shaft out through the clevis is difficult enough that it is easier to just remove the clevis bracket entirely.

You got me on that one. You're supposed to remove the clevis completely, at least if you want your cv boots in one piece afterwards. In fact, you're supposed to remove the whole passenger side strut assembly. The drivers side can be pulled/installed after removing the clevis, no need for strut removal. What bj did you go with, k3199 I hope.

Sometimes we all have to be reminded to appreciate the things we take for granted...like creepers. Nothing like doing some serious wrenching laying on gravel.
You must be registered for see images attach

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ the_dealer, are you running the stock SRT-6 motor? If so that is the same motor that was in the SLK32 and C32 AMG models. I had a C32. Stock my motor was running 14lbs of boost. Had a custom cut supercharger pulley made and it was running around 18lbs of boost, stock injectors without issue. Those motors, stock, could handle into the low-mid 20's on boost. So 8-10lbs should not be an issue for you at all. I think its awesome you put that into the KJ, makes a mean little toy :icon_twisted:

Andrew

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
@ the_dealer, are you running the stock SRT-6 motor? If so that is the same motor that was in the SLK32 and C32 AMG models. I had a C32. Stock my motor was running 14lbs of boost. Had a custom cut supercharger pulley made and it was running around 18lbs of boost, stock injectors without issue. Those motors, stock, could handle into the low-mid 20's on boost. So 8-10lbs should not be an issue for you at all. I think its awesome you put that into the KJ, makes a mean little toy :icon_twisted:

Andrew

He built up a 3.7

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. OK that makes sense. Wasnt sure if he had somehow managed to squeeze one of the 3.2's in there through tons of fabrication.

Thanks for the clarification tommudd!

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the last 5 days cleaning up out by the shop.... took some pics of the potential SFA swap hardware :gr_grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is everything rusted like that up there? WOW and I thought Ohio was bad :shrug:

We certainly don't get as much road-salt due to mild winters, but because its so wet here all the time anything left to sit in the weeds decays fast. The Bronco frame that diff came from shed a whole 'skin' of rust from impact gun rattling. :icon_lol:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Road trip prepping

Starting to prepare the Liberty for a 600+ mile June road-trip to the Butler Jeep festival

• New 160amp alternator
  • Front brake spring clips replaced - cured noisy right turn problem
  • New front/rear wiper blades
  • Replaced blower motor resistor with Sebring upgraded part - fan now works on all settings an not just high

Next:
Replace drivers side power mirror.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to prepare the Liberty for a 600+ mile June road-trip to the Butler Jeep festival...

I'm going to try to make it to Butler this year. I have customers in the area so I can write it off as a business trip :mexsmoke:

What are the dates this year, Smitty?

Bob

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
the_dealer; Sometimes we all have to be reminded to appreciate the things we take for granted...like creepers. Nothing like doing some serious wrenching laying on gravel. [ATTACH=full said:
55881[/ATTACH]

Lay some big cardboard down there! That just looks painfull.

Looks like the ground is flat and smooth for the Highlander.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lay some big cardboard down there! That just looks painfull.

Looks like the ground is flat and smooth for the Highlander.

Been there done that, had to use cardboard for my knees until they started to tingle then the ''step tool box'' for a seat when I did my Mud Guards.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Or hire Uncle Fester to work under there.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to make it to Butler this year. I have customers in the area so I can write it off as a business trip :mexsmoke:

What are the dates this year, Smitty?

Bob

Registration for Jeep owners planning to participate in the 2016 Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival with their Jeep is now open! Be among the first to register so you can participate in all of the fun that will be taking place June 10-12. 2016

Latest posts

Members online