What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove it.

Dropped off a coworker at the hotel where he's staying a few nights and saw a white KJ with New Jersey tags with the rear driveshaft laying on the parking lot underneath (Best Western on Riva Rd). Anyone here and, if so, do you need anything for the job?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I drove mine & got to engage 4x4 ..
54593[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

It was even sunny Amazing!
54595[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Moountain%20Dec%20SnowA2.jpg
    Moountain%20Dec%20SnowA2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Moountain%20Dec%20Snow6.jpg
    Moountain%20Dec%20Snow6.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 0

4thefam

Reaction score
R&R Radiator (again), Thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank, compression checks....180,000 mi. took it to get christmas tree. Walla Walla WA

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gave up on getting the stuck TF case plug. $100 down the drain it's finally serviced.

Unfortunately, the shop found a bad front driver side wheel hub bearing.
FML.

The wanted ~$1000 to replace both sides.

hmm..... I think I'll just replace the one side myself. There's a timken brand from my LAPS for $160.

Is this do-able on jack stands and be able to get to the E14 bolts at the back of the knuckle?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gave up on getting the stuck TF case plug. $100 down the drain it's finally serviced.

FML.

hmm..... I think I'll just replace the one side myself. There's a timken brand from my LAPS for $160.

Is this do-able on jack stands and be able to get to the E14 bolts at the back of the knuckle?
Just take the whole knuckle off and do it on the work bench.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FML.

I did it on jack stands. Not too bad at all.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do anything with jack stands, hand tools, and balls (figuratively speaking.)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FML.

I left the hub on - but I got a good, high quality E14 socket. I didn't know how corroded it would be given I live in the salt belt. I didn't want the walls of the socket to stretch out and destroy the head of the bolt.

As it was I started torquing it slowly and the bolts came right out. You'll need a six inch extension to reach the bolt.

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 4-piece set from Pep Boys (Great Neck or something like that) and it worked perfectly. Not deep but yes, ⅜".

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impact sockets do usually flex less.

My Jeep grew up in Michigan. I didn't need the impact socket. I sprayed both sides of the bolt with PB Blaster, hit the exposed threads with a wire brush, hit them again with PB and they came loose right away with a long ratchet. Didn't even need the breaker bar.

This is the set I bought, now $11:
You must be registered for see images

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The country's largest independent hardware store is 5 minutes from my house and they carry Wright Tools - that's the E14 I used for the hub R&R. Expensive tools but dang they're nice - Ohio made, too. :waytogo:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
i LEARNED THE HARD WAY...not to accidentally hit the CAPS lock key...

I learned the hard way that when it comes to HF sockets the impact sets are 100X better than the others. They are worth the extra money if you're shopping there.

Latest posts

Members online