What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Swapped out my summer rear diff for the winter one,
plus rotated tires, checked everything over for trip to North Carolina again ! :emotions34:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seasonal diffs????

Of course , doesn't everyone rotate tires and diffs as well ?:happy175:

Now Tom, you have to 'fess up that you have the NAPA NASCAR pit crew at your disposal for diff swaps, bumper installs and minor things like tire rotations. I hate to let the cat out of the bag but it's time to let everyone in on your secret

:happy175::happy175::happy175: :icon_razz:

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing a whining/groaning/grumbling noise, that almost feels/sounds like road noise, coming from the front end. The other day it seemed to come and go as I was driving, and today it seemed pretty consistent. Yesterday I had some steering shake as well, but not today (longer, faster drive.) It showed up the day after I got an alignment done. I don't want to "blame" them as it could just be coincidence. Jeep has 70k miles on it now; do wheel bearings go out quick on these things?

I also get what I feels like drive line lash (from the bad old days of having a CV joint go bad where would clunk dramatically as you got on and off power) so i'm wondering just how "sloppy" the driveline is as a matter of course, versus is that what it feels like when a UV joint is failing.

That noise you describe is very much like mine when one of them went bad. Kinda sounded like tread noise but it wouldn't go away when I rotated the tires like had happened previously. For some reason the sound didn't change when I went around corners but I finally figured it had to be a bearing. Ended up changing out both sides at the same time with Timkens. Sure enough the sound went away.

On my Commander the right front bearing was making noise but only on left turns. Similar sound as the KJ but instead of being consistent it was during turns only. Funny how the same part can show symptoms so differently from one vehicle to the next :emotions34:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now Tom, you have to 'fess up that you have the NAPA NASCAR pit crew at your disposal for diff swaps, bumper installs and minor things like tire rotations. I hate to let the cat out of the bag but it's time to let everyone in on your secret

:happy175::happy175::happy175: :icon_razz:

Bob

:emotions34:
Now Bob, you are fully aware that the papers you signed the very first time you stepped into Mudd's Garage, stated that you would never under any circumstances divulge the inner workings at Mudd's , that includes how or who does the work. :icon_razz:I'll let ya slide this time , but next time I'll be calling my Lawyer Saul Goodman !:gr_grin::gr_grin::happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:emotions34:
Now Bob, you are fully aware that the papers you signed the very first time you stepped into Mudd's Garage, stated that you would never under any circumstances divulge the inner workings at Mudd's , that includes how or who does the work. :icon_razz:I'll let ya slide this time , but next time I'll be calling my Lawyer Saul Goodman !:gr_grin::gr_grin::happy175:

Dangit! Forgot about that non-disclosure I signed. Course the 'refreshments' you served at my first visit to Mudd's may have fogged my memory :happy175:

Is Saul still at Dewey, Cheetham & Howe??? :gr_grin:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dangit! Forgot about that non-disclosure I signed. Course the 'refreshments' you served at my first visit to Mudd's may have fogged my memory :happy175:

Is Saul still at Dewey, Cheetham & Howe??? :gr_grin:

Bob

Ah yes, the "refreshments" .....:emotions34::happy175:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my inspection sticker. Should last me until I get a new vehicle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That noise you describe is very much like mine when one of them went bad. Kinda sounded like tread noise but it wouldn't go away when I rotated the tires like had happened previously. For some reason the sound didn't change when I went around corners but I finally figured it had to be a bearing. Ended up changing out both sides at the same time with Timkens. Sure enough the sound went away.

On my Commander the right front bearing was making noise but only on left turns. Similar sound as the KJ but instead of being consistent it was during turns only. Funny how the same part can show symptoms so differently from one vehicle to the next :emotions34:

Bob

I guess i'm jacking the front end up again and yanking things around to see if I feel the appropriate sloppiness.

also, any links to the preferred bearings?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess i'm jacking the front end up again and yanking things around to see if I feel the appropriate sloppiness.

When I had mine apart recently doing the right side cv and intermediate shaft the bearing felt smooth but sounded dry. It still has no play in it, but makes same noise as described when driving. I have a pair of timkens on order now. We'll see what happens.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washed the exterior/interior. Replaced the 11 year old fog light housings. The new ones are nice and clean and the led bulbs in them are crisp.:peace:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Get Timkin or SKF, I think SKF is OEM. Left/right are the same.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Today: went and got Christmas tree #1 with the KL. One of the local places that sells trees actually grows them and they get a few "wild" trees every year that kind of look like Charlie Brown trees and we love them. They had 8 to start today and had 2 left after we left.
You must be registered for see images attach

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought a live tree in at least 15 years.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Last live tree I had was in 1977, dang thing died ( had root ball to plant ) had to go buy green spray paint

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been getting them for about the past 10 or so, even in FL. Just fun to get. Usually put them up now and then run them to the burnpile long about late January.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always do, get it 2 weeks before Christmas and take it down a week after.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been getting them for about the past 10 or so, even in FL. Just fun to get. Usually put them up now and then run them to the burnpile long about late January.

My first wife and I always had live tress that were dug up to replant
Everytime I go past my old farm I see 6 nice big pines.......... and her current husband .............:happy175: