What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like a local celebrity lmao everyone loves seeing how capable the liberty is.

It feels good to get that kind of validation (and yes, my ego DOES need it). I always found it exceptionally capable off-road, even with IFS. Removing the rear sway bar does make a huge difference for the rear though, I've found.

Also, proper tires.. good Lord does that make a huge difference in capability.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
North Jersey is as specific as I'll get in public lol if youre local pm and I'll bring you next time.

That's all I wanted to know and sort of what I figured. I spent alot of time right across the Delaware river in Pike county and the terrain looks similar. I appreciate the invite. I'd love it but the old stocker I daily drive wouldn't be able to handle that trail. Maybe someday... :gr_grin:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a weird vibration & "noise" that seems to be coming from the front end, at speed (>60mph.) odd part is it comes and goes. at first I thought it was just road noise, but now i'm not so sure. also odd, it appeared after I had the most recent alignment done.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my light bar wired in recently. Now to check her over for my flagpole Run next weekend and last trail of the year I think.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotated tires. let's see if the vibration and pulling are affected.
also de-plow-config'ed it the other day, since the forecasts are saying nothing until after christmas.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the snow. But damn. Nothing till next year? That's a crazy weatherman you got there

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the recall done. New hitch, some module and a new transfer case switch? I dunno.
I asked about the 4Hi shifter lever not staying up and falling back down into 2wd and no one seemed to care...
the 03 it's definitely a tight feeling and stays locked in.

Also my center shifter bezel seems to not fit correctly as if the plastic shifter surround with the PRND21 part is raised up slightly ?
Dealerships suck

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also my center shifter bezel seems to not fit correctly as if the plastic shifter surround with the PRND21 part is raised up slightly ?
Dealerships suck

Mine does that too. Ive been able to get it sitting more flush by taking it off a reseating it, but I have two switches on that bezel that tend to push it up slightly.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too. Ive been able to get it sitting more flush by taking it off a reseating it, but I have two switches on that bezel that tend to push it up slightly.

Yea I think it was when they removed the console something got wonky
The strip of plastic thst moves with the shifter would pop out towards the radio from under the bezel when going to park. Had to bend it a bit to keep thst from happening
The dealership was shocked how clean it was underneath and asked about the lift kit tho... but everything else feel on deaf ears of course

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires came in today, the tread on them looks like it will ride nice and quiet, espewcially compared to the duratracs or the old discoverer A/T3's i have ran in the past. the wheels should be ready to go in december.

been eyeballing a set of the JBA total control coil-overs for the front. i have almost 75,000 miles on the BDS springs right now, also looking at a pioneer in dash LCD deck and a back up camera, i ditched the idea of buying a new truck so i am going to add some creature comforts and upgrades to the jeep.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone educate me on the symptoms of...
bad front wheel bearing.
bad u-joints in the driveshaft(s).

As I explained to someone else recently, I've spent my life in FWD vehicles, so this RWD/4x4 stuff makes noises that I don't know are normal or not.

justjeeps

Reaction score
bad front wheel bearing.

As I explained to someone else recently, I've spent my life in FWD vehicles, so this RWD/4x4 stuff makes noises that I don't know are normal or not.

The noise will be the first thing and you might notice it get quieter when you start to slow down. If it is bad you should feel / see some movement, if you jack up the suspect wheel and try to move the wheel in and out / top & bottom of the wheel.

I had to have safety inspection on my 02 to tag it and the left side wheel bearing was bad, there shortly after "few month" the road noise was louder but I thought it was the alignment or the lack there of. I finally got around to having the alignment done and the mechanic said the right side bearing was going.

Should of changed them both at the same time but a new one resolved the issue and noise. It is actually really quite now.

U-joint noise - As far as I know it starts with a clunk when the car starts to move or at least that what I remember. Luckily I have not had to contend with them.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
bad front wheel bearing.

" Most times" a wheel bearing will give you some noise going around curves, more one way than the other for example , low rumble type sound
rear CV in the front driveshaft will be a vibration more than real noise, unless its really bad

Whats yours doing ?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing a whining/groaning/grumbling noise, that almost feels/sounds like road noise, coming from the front end. The other day it seemed to come and go as I was driving, and today it seemed pretty consistent. Yesterday I had some steering shake as well, but not today (longer, faster drive.) It showed up the day after I got an alignment done. I don't want to "blame" them as it could just be coincidence. Jeep has 70k miles on it now; do wheel bearings go out quick on these things?

I also get what I feels like drive line lash (from the bad old days of having a CV joint go bad where would clunk dramatically as you got on and off power) so i'm wondering just how "sloppy" the driveline is as a matter of course, versus is that what it feels like when a UV joint is failing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm at 168k on my OEM wheel bearings, at 70k I'd think you'd be ok but anything can happen. If they're that noisy and vibrating they should have play in them.

Not sure about the drivetrain slack, since yours is a DIY shifter. :D

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 168k on my OEM wheel bearings, at 70k I'd think you'd be ok but anything can happen. If they're that noisy and vibrating they should have play in them.

Not sure about the drivetrain slack, since yours is a DIY shifter. :D

Yea I don't know how much is driveline versus whatever slop is in the transmission. She doesn't bucking bronco like one car I have, but then that one has all kinds of other issues going on with it as well that probably aren't helping. :D

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went puddle hopping in the rain and ended up with a p0138. 5 minute session with my propane turbo heater and it went away haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk