What did you do to your jeep today?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by TheQ, Feb 13, 2012.

1. sota

sota Full Access Member

Told ya I'd get argument. :D

And i'm not disagreeing with the intent/design of the sensors, but I can tell you from experience with multiple vehicles (interestingly, all chryslers, and all NGC 4-plug equipped vehicles) when the downstream O2 sensor has problems weird things can happen. I get it it's a sample of 1 person, but considering (for at least my 2007 KJ) the upstream and downstream sensors are the same part number, and they're $25.79 over at rock auto, doing all 4 at once isn't going to break the bank. If anything I'd be more worried about the cat connected to the glowing manifold.

edit before post: I just looked up a 2002 on Rock Auto, and it has 4 different part numbers for each of the 4 sensors. Wild.

2. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Full Access Member

Well ya I should've elaborated more instead of being lazy. Yeah the test runs each time the car reaches the OBD set points to run the test. Then after a few fails the light comes on for the rear o2. It's been a thorn in my side when I first got the car since my 03 regal does this test and making tuning a pita. So to remove it , I had to use dhp to extract my bin and then tiny tuner to remove the test. HPtuners does not allow that, which is what software I used. A friend of mine removed it for me. The earlier years 97-01 didn't have to worry about it and tossed on an emulator. I posted a video of the regal of anyone is interested or just look for 03blackgsx on YouTube ;)

3. Aceofspades

Yup ordered both uppers today for $73 after tax.
    NTK 23138 and 23139
    My other cars when I did headers I just a simple non-fouler and stacked up to remove the rear o2 from the exhaust stream so it would "see a change"... and never got a light
    The jeep shouldn't have any issues as it's going to remain stock performance wise as my daily / winter vehicle

4. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Yes some vehicles that have cat codes or downstream O2 codes can force the system into a preset tune,that is to reduce the chance of causing a issue like the cat's burning so hot they can catch fire.

Every manufacturer has a slightly different approach but those downstream O2's are 100% solely to monitor the cat's.Does not matter if the part # is the same or not between the upstream and downstream.They can configure the wire harness to use the same sensors or not depending on what they need to work around.Then you got newer vehicles that use wide band O2's for upstream and normal O2's for downstreams.

Take Ford,if a misfire is detected the PCM will actually shut off the injector for that/those cylinder(s).

5. Aceofspades

Changed out both upper o2's. Took an hour for what should've been half that time.
    Man that driver side was a stupid set up. Luckily being lifted - just crawled under and did most of it underneath

6. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

Isn’t it a brilliant design?

7. Tog

Tog Full Access Member

Oil change and new plugs for the OK. Oil change for the KJ tmrw

2004 3.7 limited

8. Damotee

Damotee Full Access Member

Got it back from the shop with new rear moog problem solver control arms and a front pinion seal.Its driving much better now, no more wobble! The mechanic did notice that the ball joint in the rear upper tri link is worn out. He showed me when it was up on the hoist; the whole diff slides loose around the joint when he just pushed on the wheel. I guess thats the next job. :yucky:

9. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Buy MOPAR for the tri-link, none of that other junk:gr_grin:

10. smittyfromPA

smittyfromPA Full Access Member

I bought a u-haul hitch 9 years ago for the KJ and got the $5 lifetime warranty. Confirmed today after an inspection that they will replace the rusted out hitch with a new one (free!)once the part comes in next week. :pepper:

11. sota

sota Full Access Member

Spark Plugs (NGC ZFR6F-11G/6987). went 36k on a set of plugs, and they was WORE OUT.
    air filter
    battery

finding the plugs was a *****. think I might need to just pick up an extra set or 2 next time I'm out.

12. tommudd

Had trouble finding the plugs??
    Strange, of course they always try to sell me those crap high dollar ones first but always have what I want

13. sota

sota Full Access Member

yea I was shocked too. NAPA didn't have them in stock, and wouldn't sell me only 6, as they had to "order" them in boxes of 4. I walked out.

14. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

May not be the best pricing, but they are always available:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZGV3E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or packs of 4, gives you two spares or saves you about $10 next time around:

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-ZFR6F-11G-Spark-Plug-Pack/dp/B00BPH9XXM/ref=pd_sim_263_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MPMXDV7NQHQ7W4MMX4QN

15. sota

sota Full Access Member

I kinda needed them now, as I'd pulled the old ones out already and they were DONE. :D

16. tommudd

Dang those are expensive 4.16 each ???
    last set I bought were 2 something each, below 3 bucks I know
    That was just couple of months ago though

UPDATED: Just went and looked at my receipt, with tax they were 13.65 for 6

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  17. Damotee

Damotee Full Access Member

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering which brand to get. I nearly pulled the trigger on a mevotech model, but thought id wait to see if I got any advice on here. Cheers!

Edit; are these spark plugs ok to get?: More Information for NGK 6441

Edit 2: Is the Moog rear upper trilink ok to get as the mopar is not available on rockauto? Given I live in Oz, rockauto is my main supplier as they ship to Australia.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  18. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Get the Copper core NGKs, not Iridium
    and no on the Moog trilink. Can any dealers get you a Mopar one?

19. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Parked it next to an IMMACULATE red 2002-04 Columbia Edition KJ. Took a peak inside and the drivers seat wasn't even smooshed. Wheels weren't tarnished, biblically clean (I think even HJ would be jealous)
    Looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor, except for the sagged out suspension that is...:emotions34:

20. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. Where'd you see it? I love the Columbias.

Today: took my new pump and pulley to the shop to get the pulley put on, $5 and 15 minutes later it's ready for me to f!ck up I mean install this weekend. :D