What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably get ripped apart for this question, but here is goes...

One of my calipers seems to be sticking. With Easter around the corner I won't have time to swap it out for probably 2 weeks. The rim is getting very hot, disc is discoloring a bit (charcoal) with a smell but it is working for the time being. I will try to keep the driving to a minimum, hopefully I don't scrap the disc of pads (just changed them on the weekend).

The question is, has anyone ever tried the red coated calipers from RockAuto?
Power Stop Performance Red Powder Coated Calipers with Brackets

Only reason I would ever consider this is I'd hope the coating would give some protection against further rusting, and it will be more obvious when they do start to rush as I wouldn't see the red as much through the wheel. I can get both sent to me for under $110 (shipping, taxes, duty included).

ACDelco's are only about 20$ more per pair... I should probably go that route. I only do 10k per year, trucks already 10 years old, doubt it will be in the driveway for more than 5 years... I dunno, just throwing out ideas. Is the coating worth anything?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably be better off just getting remanned ones locally and throwing your choice of caliper paint on them.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt ones locally are $70 (+$50 for the core which gets reimbursed) each.
So with tax it'll be $160 for both... unless I just do one side but my thinking is that if one is bad the other might not be far behind...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You'd probably be ok to do just the one for now. If it's not broke don't fix it. But FWIW both my rear ones failed at the same time originally.

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rewrapped the wiring.. Took off/fell off, cut off old loom split coil, replace with new, tied the ends with electrical tape since I only have silver duct tape and secured then with ties. It came out looking nice and will keep the wires dry and in place

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the newly ujointed and balanced driveshaft in and... still have the vibration.

Really starting to regret buying this money pit POS.

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the newly ujointed and balanced driveshaft in and... still have the vibration.

I had a shimmy like what your describing in my truck. Changed out the inner tie rod ends and it took care of it. Have you ever changed those? They are cheap

Trust me I know how aggravating a mystery issue can be but victory is o' so sweet when you finally figure out what it is lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered new rear brake lines. Going to order new right rear caliper too. Then then install them and flush the brake fluid this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit.
rock hit the windshield right in my line of sight, pulverized the glass on the outside and spidered to the size of a quarter.
now i gotta have my windshield replaced. I hate that.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

is your vib under power and goes away while coasting?

Updating your signature also helps and avoids questions like, are you lifted, how high, etc which are coming.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit.
rock hit the windshield right in my line of sight, pulverized the glass on the outside and spidered to the size of a quarter.

Now that ***** :favorites68:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your vib under power and goes away while coasting?

Updating your signature also helps and avoids questions like, are you lifted, how high, etc which are coming.

No. Consistently from 75-90mph. Doesn't matter the gear or in neutral. Only thing left to change is the prop shaft and get the alignment checked. If that doesn't work, seriously considering dumping it and eating the loss. ***** ... had such high hopes.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
shit.

Try the DIY Rain X kit from walmart. Fixed a huge nasty bulls eye on my LR3, invisible now.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also... updated my signature, but not sure if y'all are seeing it. If it was lack of signature that caused the vibration...:happy175::happy175:

And...nevermind. Now I see it's showing up

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No. Consistently from 75-90mph. Doesn't matter the gear or in neutral. Only thing left to change is the prop shaft and get the alignment checked. If that doesn't work, seriously considering dumping it and eating the loss. ***** ... had such high hopes.

So does it no matter if on the power or off?
Does it only from 75-90?
Also does it in neutral ?
Have tires been checked ?

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does it no matter if on the power or off?
Does it only from 75-90?
Also does it in neutral ?
Have tires been checked ?

Off or on - no change. No visible wear. Had the tires rebalanced. Front axles, drive shaft, new LBJ's. I do have the prop shaft, but can't break those tiny 8mm bolts - can't get on 'em tight enough outside a box end. Also does it in neutral... up hill and down and any level ground between when you get to go 'sled mode' in the mountains.

I knew it was still there when I felt a vib 36-38 (1/2 of top start). In the music world of vibrations, any doubling is an octave. But I ain't going for 150 to prove my point lol.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably get ripped apart for this question, but here is goes...
This is a gentle rip, not for asking the question, but for asking it in the "What did you do to your jeep today" thread. It actually applies to anyone who is about to use this thread to ask technical questions like this, instead of actually telling us what you did to your Jeep today.

Here's my reasoning: It will make an excellent discussion all on its own and, in its own thread, will get all the individual attention it deserves. That is especially true when someone else comes along next week or next year with a similar issue. A thread about sticking brake calipers, or about red coated calipers from RockAuto or the ACDelco's will show up much easier in the forum search results, especially if you first searched thread titles. And Google (and other search engines) are far more likely to give search results on a thread with the term in the title than a post among almost 14-thousand posts in a what-did-you-do-to-your-jeep-today thread. In other words, it helps a lot more people than just you.

Unfortunately, staff here don't (at least not that I am aware of) move posts like yours and its replies to make new threads out of them. So, it's up to us members to remember that not all of our posts belong in the catchall topic of what we did to our Jeeps today. What I try to do is ask myself, do I want to tell my KJ friends about what I did to or with my KJ today, or do I need help with some specific part or issue I'm having with my Jeep - something that others have had in the past and some will have in the future? If the answer is the latter, then I click the New Thread button instead of the Post Reply button (or the Quick Reply).

I'm just trying to be helpful here. I know how hard it is to find relevant information I need among 13,599 posts in this topic. ;)

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the DIY Rain X kit from walmart. Fixed a huge nasty bulls eye on my LR3, invisible now.

I'll get a picture, but this isn't a bulls eye alone. it's spidered out in I think 10 directions, and the glass in the middle of the spot, about the size of a pencil eraser, is pulverized and falling out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh. It might work enough to hold it together and keep it from getting worse. Not sure how it reduce it cosmetically but it might. For $10 it's worth it since you already thinking of replacing the windshield.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Local shop had an opening. 30 minutes and $130 later, the new prop shaft is in.

And finally after all the hassle and dejection, it's fixed! :big_banana_Dance:

While it was up on the rack, I checked it out and will be needing to replace the rear UCA in the not too distant future, but I'm just going to drive it as is for a while.