What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJfix

Reaction score
Replaced Rear control arms and Shocks

This should be a great thread that we can keep going. That way we can all keep up with the small day to day tinkering and give some ideas to those looking to do something! Pics are strongly encouraged!!! (Cheers)

All good stuff. Needed some repair on my 2004 Liberty. Replaced both lower control arms, shocks and getting ready to replace upper control arm and Rear "U" Joints.

Only thing that has me scratching my head is the upper control arm. Should I put the car on ramps, jack up the body at the hitch a few pumps and yank the sucker?

Seems like there is a "neutral" spot where there is not as much "load on the ball joint with it lifted about 3".

Next is front bushings, joints, yadda yadda. Fun.

Thanks for having me on here.

Don

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good stuff. Needed some repair on my 2004 Liberty. Replaced both lower control arms, shocks and getting ready to replace upper control arm and Rear "U" Joints.

Only thing that has me scratching my head is the upper control arm. Should I put the car on ramps, jack up the body at the hitch a few pumps and yank the sucker?

Seems like there is a "neutral" spot where there is not as much "load on the ball joint with it lifted about 3".

Next is front bushings, joints, yadda yadda. Fun.

Thanks for having me on here.

Don

(welcome)

That's a lot of projects! Be careful :waytogo:

For the rear upper control arm, jack up the rear axle so the rear tires lift off the ground about 3-4 inches. Put jack stands under the 'frame rails' in front of the lower control arms and then drop the rear axle. That should give you enough 'neutral' to be able to pull the boomerang out. One trick: It is usually easier to remove the bracket that attaches to the rear diff rather than trying to pop the ball joint out of it when the bracket is still attached. It's kind of cramped in there especially when you need heavy tools to pop the ball joint out of the bracket. Beware - the factory used very effective LocTite on those three bracket bolts.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last weekend I finally renewed the Trans Fluid and Filters after tripping over the parts in my garage for a month or so.

This weekend was to bee coolant, water pump and thermostat, but a stubborn bleeder screw held me up? I ended up waiting for PB Blaster to loosen it, and I used an 8mm hex.....but the screw does not seem to be a hex, looked like a Torx tto me but I could not find the size.....not T50, not T55.

anybody know what it really is?

It's a 8mm hex. Good guess! :gr_grin:

CJfix

Reaction score
(welcome)

That's a lot of projects! Be careful :waytogo:

For the rear upper control arm, jack up the rear axle so the rear tires lift off the ground about 3-4 inches. Put jack stands under the 'frame rails' in front of the lower control arms and then drop the rear axle. That should give you enough 'neutral' to be able to pull the boomerang out. One trick: It is usually easier to remove the bracket that attaches to the rear diff rather than trying to pop the ball joint out of it when the bracket is still attached. It's kind of cramped in there especially when you need heavy tools to pop the ball joint out of the bracket. Beware - the factory used very effective LocTite on those three bracket bolts.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Mine is the boomerang and I have a brand new one from Parts Geek with ball already inserted. It is not like the ones on a cherokee where the housing needs to be removed. At least I don't think so. BTW like Parts Geek service very much.

I have already loosened the bolts at the end of the "V" and removed the bolt just above the differential. I stopped because I wondered if the differential needed to be in a specific position. I am expecting that the ball joint will need a little persuasion from a pry-bar to loosen. Just did not want to muck something up and have the differential on my chest. That could ruin my day.

Thanks for the quick response. Any addition direction is all good.

Thx, Don

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to painting the rest of my rims over the weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

Took my girls out to a forrest prserve.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to painting the rest of my rims over the weekend.

Took my girls out to a forrest prserve.

I do like the color of those rims - very nice!

Way to go taking the girls out into nature with the KJ. You get to enjoy a road trip and family time both - great time for sure!

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Mine is the boomerang and I have a brand new one from Parts Geek with ball already inserted. It is not like the ones on a cherokee where the housing needs to be removed. At least I don't think so. BTW like Parts Geek service very much.

I have already loosened the bolts at the end of the "V" and removed the bolt just above the differential. I stopped because I wondered if the differential needed to be in a specific position. I am expecting that the ball joint will need a little persuasion from a pry-bar to loosen. Just did not want to muck something up and have the differential on my chest. That could ruin my day.

Thanks for the quick response. Any addition direction is all good.

Thx, Don

Is the new Tri-Link a Mopar unit or one of the cheap knockoffs?
If knockoff then you'll get to change it again in a few months.
As far as removal I remove all 3 bolts and remove bracket and all. Much easier to get the ball joint knocked out when you have it in a vice or at least on the floor . Can't imagine trying to beat/ pry it out when still on the KJ
As far as how, have it sitting the way it would be sitting in the driveway. You don't want the rear diff hanging down since it puts more pressure on the bolts and ball joint making it harder to reinstall

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What's wrong with silver? :favorites68:
Out of over 110 vehicles had one silver one traded to me, huge POS and couldn't sell it, no one wanted it plus just don't like silver
although Johns is growing on me :gr_grin::happy175:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
color was down on my list of priorities.

in order...
stick
v6
4x4
sunroof
not black/silver
tow package

I got the first 3, and added the last one myself (hence why it was low on the list.)
and a recent event almost created #4 by accident! still have to repair that.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of over 110 vehicles had one silver one traded to me, huge POS and couldn't sell it, no one wanted it plus just don't like silver
although Johns is growing on me :gr_grin::happy175:

Tom,

I would have to agree with you in general on silver cars, but my wife's Liberty has really grown on me and I think it's one vehicle that actually looks good in silver!

Scott

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
color was down on my list of priorities.

in order...
stick
v6
4x4
sunroof
not black/silver
tow package

I got the first 3, and added the last one myself (hence why it was low on the list.)
and a recent event almost created #4 by accident! still have to repair that.

That

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the color of those rims - very nice!

Way to go taking the girls out into nature with the KJ. You get to enjoy a road trip and family time both - great time for sure!

Bob

Yea and my daughter falls asleep in the jeep on the way home gives me some tine to just drive. Its nice over there no street lights stop signs nothing but my headlights to get me where i am going very relaxing. I dont get that peace in the city so its a little escape.