What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Pats overall , and like mentioned have a game plan all worked out . Selling one or two of my KJs to partially fund a Pat buildup. ( when that happens )
Which drivetrain did you get Jayme ?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score

It's the Freedom Drive I.

As much as I'd love to have the lower gearing in their 'off road package,' I read far too many bad things on the CVT ******. Mostly how it dies and needs replacement early in the vehicle's life - as early as 12k, 14k, 18k miles. And that's just with regular on-pavement driving. FDII with 5-speed manual is pretty rare (around here), so I went with the 6-speed auto. So, it's essentially AWD with the option of 4-hi lock if needed. I'd like to get somewhere to test that out sometime.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Pats overall , and like mentioned have a game plan all worked out . Selling one or two of my KJs to partially fund a Pat buildup. ( when that happens )

Patriots are just a pain to work on. (Sometimes)

Replaced the alternator in a few hours (it's TIGHT with a lateral motor...) only to start it up and have the power steering rack SPEWING fluid.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f263/jeep-patriot-power-steering-spraying-rack-60000/

That being said...this little Jeep had about 120k on it. Definitely not too shabby as far as mileage goes. And some things seemed significantly easier to replace than on the KJ. Rack being one of them. Oil pan being another.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's the Freedom Drive I.

As much as I'd love to have the lower gearing in their 'off road package,' I read far too many bad things on the CVT ******. Mostly how it dies and needs replacement early in the vehicle's life - as early as 12k, 14k, 18k miles. And that's just with regular on-pavement driving. FDII with 5-speed manual is pretty rare (around here), so I went with the 6-speed auto. So, it's essentially AWD with the option of 4-hi lock if needed. I'd like to get somewhere to test that out sometime.

Yes great choice

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I joke about the patriots. One pulled a hit and run by my parents house killed a lady. I say " your no patriot your a MURDERER!!!!"

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my lift ome/bilstein think i shopped around enough got everything at a reasonable price.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all I see. My husband points at them and yells Fiat when we pass one, too. It was kinda funny at first...

To be fair, if a complete lift kit and some modifications become available, it MIGHT slightly be better than rav4.
But as of now, no lift besides daystar spacer and i heard rro is working on a lift for renegade (rro wrote it on renegade forum)

Not the brightest future for renegade.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its sort of funny how we view vehicles and their capabilities and how some other parts of the world do.
EVEN stock a new Renegade is pretty good off road from various tests/ videos etc that I have seen. BUT we have brainwashed ourselves into thinking we need massive lifts/ 35s at least , Hemi engines etc just to off road. Most of us never , ever use 1/5 of the potential that our vehicles have anyways but we have been brought over to the dark side in thinking we do.
Case in point, Tanzania not a country with great roads, what are paved are rough, all side roads are dirt / mud / nothing on them at all.
BUT you never see a lifted anything , no massive tires, just ARB bumpers etc . They go places with front wheel drive cars that many of the folks here would think you'd need a fully built rig to transverse. I've taken my wifes Rav 4 with street tires on roads that I just knew we'd be walking 12 miles to her parents house ( still thinking with American mentality ) BUT with knowledge from the last 40 plus years of 4 wheeling we made it with no problems. They live on the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro so yes there are steep climbs.
So just cause its not lifted, just cause its not locked and on 35s at least does not necessarily make any of the SUVs bad .
One reason my current build ( 03 ) is lower, ( but with the best lift available more for ride than height ) etc I'm going back towards what I started out in back in the 70s , 700-16 tires/ no lift / no winch/ just going to have fun.
Look at what people all over the world travel everywhere with, heck one guy traveled all over Africa in a Porsche 911 LOL

by the way this is the good section of road to my In Laws house
You must be registered for see images attach

look out better lock it in and turn on the ARBs LOL

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing other than the one I posted in the other thread. I need to have/make more time to do that.

Where did you decide to take the KJ for the rebuild?
The local place...likely would've towed it there, so that would've taken 2 vehicles out of service then having to commute back or stay in a hotel there it would've worked out to be about the same. But I wish I could've gone there!

That's the idea.

Clearance and tires are the main thing. I hadn't had the KJ in anything that really "required" low range in probably 3 years now... and as sad as that is to say, it makes me realize how underutilized it was. :( 4-hi, used plenty of times in my cross country travels - I still have that now.

Who knows... one day if we ever get out of the midwest to somewhere more fun terrain-wise, there will probably be something more off road worthy in the mix. For now, that's not where my needs are.

Don't have low range in the WK, it works just fine. Watch some Topgear to see how far they go without low range, like the Africa special.

Marlon's WK didn't have low range...he still got it out :gr_grin:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its sort of funny how we view vehicles and their capabilities and how some other parts of the world do.
EVEN stock a new Renegade is pretty good off road from various tests/ videos etc that I have seen. BUT we have brainwashed ourselves into thinking we need massive lifts/ 35s at least , Hemi engines etc just to off road. Most of us never , ever use 1/5 of the potential that our vehicles have anyways but we have been brought over to the dark side in thinking we do.
Case in point, Tanzania not a country with great roads, what are paved are rough, all side roads are dirt / mud / nothing on them at all.
BUT you never see a lifted anything , no massive tires, just ARB bumpers etc . They go places with front wheel drive cars that many of the folks here would think you'd need a fully built rig to transverse. I've taken my wifes Rav 4 with street tires on roads that I just knew we'd be walking 12 miles to her parents house ( still thinking with American mentality ) BUT with knowledge from the last 40 plus years of 4 wheeling we made it with no problems. They live on the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro so yes there are steep climbs.
So just cause its not lifted, just cause its not locked and on 35s at least does not necessarily make any of the SUVs bad .
One reason my current build ( 03 ) is lower, ( but with the best lift available more for ride than height ) etc I'm going back towards what I started out in back in the 70s , 700-16 tires/ no lift / no winch/ just going to have fun.
Look at what people all over the world travel everywhere with, heck one guy traveled all over Africa in a Porsche 911 LOL

by the way this is the good section of road to my In Laws house

You're right. I probably don't use fraction of mine's capability. Most of stuff on mine is probably an overkill for what i'll do. I was probably too harsh against other vehicles. Ever since i got a jeep i do tend to look down on others.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right. I probably don't use fraction of mine's capability. Most of stuff on mine is probably an overkill for what i'll do. I was probably too harsh against other vehicles. Ever since i got a jeep i do tend to look down on others.

I do as well at times because I have a bada** KJ LOL
But I think we all think what we have is the best and nothing wrong with that at all we build them and we are proud of them

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
To be fair, if a complete lift kit and some modifications become available, it MIGHT slightly be better than rav4.
But as of now, no lift besides daystar spacer and i heard rro is working on a lift for renegade (rro wrote it on renegade forum)

If you talking about the MK, there IS a spring lift available.

But if you're talking about the Renegade... that I don't know. It kind of seems like they're too new for much. Maybe over time...?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
BUT you never see a lifted anything , no massive tires, just ARB bumpers etc . They go places with front wheel drive cars that many of the folks here would think you'd need a fully built rig to transverse.

Sounds like a lot of areas I've been in while in Alaska too.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the idea.

Clearance and tires are the main thing. I hadn't had the KJ in anything that really "required" low range in probably 3 years now... and as sad as that is to say, it makes me realize how underutilized it was. :( 4-hi, used plenty of times in my cross country travels - I still have that now.

Who knows... one day if we ever get out of the midwest to somewhere more fun terrain-wise, there will probably be something more off road worthy in the mix. For now, that's not where my needs are.

I use LO range when I plow and push mulch :D