What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found over the years that working at what I'm good at and paying someone else to do what they're good at, painting house, mowing grass, etc results in better work than I could do myself. The trick is finding somebody who's good at what they do, and has a bit of pride in it.

Bob

I can agree with that. Also, it's really too freaking hot down here to be doing the work myself. :happy175:

Just heard back from the shop, bearings are fine, the noise is 'cupped tires'. Guy suggested I just live with it, since I have good tread, which is what I'm going to do. Next year a lift goes on anyway.

Brake pads are new, but apparently the rotors are shot. So they are putting new ones in. I'm betting the dealership just pad slapped it when it came in for trade. :emotions34:

Everything else checks out and is ready for my cross-country trip. :gr_grin:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wanted it to give me a precise reading on my coolant the other stuff is extra. Only cost $20 cant beat it. Thanks for the info i would like to see the trans temp i am not seeing it being possible.

The ****** monitor doesn't use PID code so the ****** temp might be possible if you can get your elm327 to connect.

Torque has a free app version.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ****** monitor doesn't use PID code so the ****** temp might be possible if you can get your elm327 to connect.

Torque has a free app version.

I couldnt find torque for apple. So whats some good numbers my intake was 135 degrees and my coolant temp showed between 195 and 205 is this something i should worry about

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldnt find torque for apple. So whats some good numbers my intake was 135 degrees and my coolant temp showed between 195 and 205 is this something i should worry about

Nope. The thermostat, if it's stock, should be a 195 degree unit. A 10 degree temperature variation isn't anything to worry about, I'm not sure where the e-fan kicks in at, but it's probably right around your high temp point.

Intake air temperature is the temperature of the air going into the engine. The air is drawn from what is, basically, under the hood (or alongside the radiator). Sitting stopped, this temperature will be warmer than the outside temperature by a bit, but at highway speed it should drop down a little.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question twobobs noticed his temp drop pretty good when his mechanical fan kicks on from what i can see my mechanical fan is always on i cold started this morning and it was spinning right away is this normal maybe he miss worded it for the e fan.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question twobobs noticed his temp drop pretty good when his mechanical fan kicks on from what i can see my mechanical fan is always on i cold started this morning and it was spinning right away is this normal maybe he miss worded it for the e fan.

Yeah, the mechanical fan is on a viscous clutch. It's full of fluid, and when the fluid warms up, it increases pressure and the fan spins faster. However, the fan will always spin when the engine is running. Keep in mind that not all KJs will have a mechanical fan, only those with the HD cooling (and, I think, some very early ones).

He probably meant the e-fan.

And i forgot to say thank you nullptr

No problem! Glad to be of help.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bob has HD cooling w/ the clutch fan.
When the clutch fan is engage there's a roaring sound.

There's a section in the FSM on how to evaluated the clutch fan performance.
Involves a thermometer or a thermal couple and a strobe device to measure the fan speed.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i got a pre april 2002 jeep it has the tow package with hd cooling i didnt know is would spin faster thats good info thanks. And now that i think about i have heard the roaring sound. there might be an easier way to check it nowadays. For now i will trust it is working to its fullest potential.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i see you had the same question uss2defiant. Hey did you ever find a use for those hooks.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled it out of the garage for the first time in over 2 weeks
heart transplant scheduled starting today hopefully
well motor, transmission, transfercase, full exhaust system and some other updates
Just have to keep it running until 2024:icon_lol:
What are you doing to it?

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the mechanical fan is on a viscous clutch. It's full of fluid, and when the fluid warms up, it increases pressure and the fan spins faster. However, the fan will always spin when the engine is running. Keep in mind that not all KJs will have a mechanical fan, only those with the HD cooling (and, I think, some very early ones).

He probably meant the e-fan.

No problem! Glad to be of help.

bob has HD cooling w/ the clutch fan.
When the clutch fan is engage there's a roaring sound.

There's a section in the FSM on how to evaluated the clutch fan performance.
Involves a thermometer or a thermal couple and a strobe device to measure the fan speed.

Yep, my mech fan spins all the time. But at cold startup in the morning you'll hear it roar since the viscous fluid has "settled" and that engages the clutch. When the engine warms up a bit the fan doesn't spin as fast so no roar. But when the temps climb - like this week with 90 degree heat - the mech fan engages quite a bit and it roars every time the KJ accelerates.

When I've been in traffic this week with the A/C blasting the temp is sitting right around 210 degrees initially. But as the temp gets to about 212-214 the mech fan really engages and the temp drops back down to around 200 to 205. I can hear the mech fan roaring till I get up to speed. The e-fan is running all the time because the A/C is on.

Fun watching the temps on Dash Command. The thing that's really struck me is how much of a difference there is in intake temps between sitting in traffic and driving at speed. Highest I saw today in traffic was 154 degrees; on the highway it was around 103 to 105 (air temp hit 91 today.)

Any way I can get a PID for Dash Command to get trans temps and some other inputs? :emotions34:

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took it to and from Gettysburg this long (for me) weekend.
412.3 miles and when I tanked back up it too 20.645 gallons.

think I was stretching it a LITTLE too far.... :D

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rev is putting in a new/donor drivetrain - he wants to get his KJ to 500K miles with the original body/chassis :mexsmoke: :icon_lol:

Bob
Awesome, that's about like what I'm doing, which wasn't really the plan, but hey shit happens.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way I can get a PID for Dash Command to get trans temps and some other inputs? :emotions34:

I'd love to find this as well, I tried a few once and got nothing. :(

If you have a buddy at jeep who knows, otherwise the PID for early KJs isn't floating online.
>05 is known if I'm not mistaken.

Don't suppose you can point me in the right direction?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found over the years that working at what I'm good at and paying someone else to do what they're good at...
That's a principle in Economics known as Comparative Advantage. It's mathematically provable that it benefits both parties and the economy as a whole. :)

As for the transmission temp, there was a guy who wrote a program which showed all sorts of data. I think he has a video stashed around here somewhere. When I get home from work I'll try and look it up.

Latest posts

Members online