What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out my leaky transmission sensor today. I call it a oil pressure sensor. I think someone else refered to it as a transducer. I am not sure got it from
Amazon. Mopar sensor was about $50. Seems to have been my leak. Fingers crossed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
while you may find trophy hunting to be disgusting...rest assured knowing that people like that "rich jerk" do way more to help with conservation efforts than people who wish death on hunters. i am not a trophy hunter, but what people don't know is that usually tags for lions are auctioned off (usually for well over $250,000) and not only does that auction price go towards conservation efforts but the hunt itself is used to eliminate an invasive lion that is threatening a pride that is actively breeding or an older lion who is no longer breeding but still trying to kill other alphas and cubs. the invasive lion would kill all the cubs and the alpha and then try to mate with the lioness. in this instance, yes a lot of shady stuff seems to have gone down, (land owner was not permitted to sell a lion tag).

i always find it funny that people seem to care more about what social media tells them to then things that actually affect them.

:happy175:
Two completely different topics
This was not an auction to see who could bid the highest to go on a hunt
This guy went behind everyones back, hired two locals to lure the Lion out, then shot it, completely ILLEGAL
I am all for hunting when it is done right and legal
Just like if I see someone taking a deer out of season just for the heck of it I will report them

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
" what people don't know is that usually tags for lions are auctioned off (usually for well over $250,000) and not only does that auction price go towards conservation efforts but the hunt itself is used to eliminate an invasive lion that is threatening a pride "

I wonder how much of Tom's Land Rover excursion went to conservation? Probably about as much as the PETA type groups donate to wildlife.

Bob

Just for your information, the fees paid to go out are paid directly to the parks in Tanzania. My wife is Tanzanian and I know possibly a little more on how these things work. The Safari company is also owned by two friends of mine. The fees paid help maintain the parks directly, they help pay for guards that make sure no one poaches any of the wild animals in those parks and that everyone is safe, both humans and animals.
I am NO way asscoitaed with PETA nor do I share their beliefs I do though like to make sure not only animals but also humans around the world are treated with respect.

Although some humans are way down on my list

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Jeep back, got the new HVAC control unit installed. Compressor still wouldn't kick on even with Defrost on. Just for the sake of it, ran a jumper on the low pressure switch, compressor kicked in and started working. Hooked up the AC Can, took about half an hour of meddling with the AC to remaximize the charge but AC works again and it is nice to have ICE COLD AC in the Jeep.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took possession of my 2005 Liberty Limited today. First thing I did was try out the 4WD (wasn't allowed to do that on the test drive). A little scary, something hit the undercarriage hard, but no leaks.

Then I decided to remove the bug shield from the front of the hood. I hate the look of those things. The detailer at the dealer wouldn't do it because he said he thought the paint would come off with the rubber bumps. I figgered it was the same as taking the badging off my old car.
  1. Removed 4 screws from underside of hood.
  2. Heated the area & peeled the rubber bumps off.
  3. Used my fingernail to remove the thick rubbery glue left behind (a plastic putty knife works too).
  4. Put a little vegetable oil on a terry cloth rag and rubbed until there was no glue residue left.
  5. Cleaned with auto wash soap and rinsed.
You can't tell the bug shield was ever there.

Then I read the owners manual from cover-to-cover.

Sorry if that's boring, but it's my first day. Whataya 'spect? ;)

Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took possession of my 2005 Liberty Limited today. First thing I did was try out the 4WD (wasn't allowed to do that on the test drive). A little scary, something hit the undercarriage hard, but no leaks.

Then I decided to remove the bug shield from the front of the hood. I hate the look of those things. The detailer at the dealer wouldn't do it because he said he thought the paint would come off with the rubber bumps. I figgered it was the same as taking the badging off my old car.
  1. Removed 4 screws from underside of hood.
  2. Heated the area & peeled the rubber bumps off.
  3. Used my fingernail to remove the thick rubbery glue left behind (a plastic putty knife works too).
  4. Put a little vegetable oil on a terry cloth rag and rubbed until there was no glue residue left.
  5. Cleaned with auto wash soap and rinsed.
You can't tell the bug shield was ever there.

Then I read the owners manual from cover-to-cover.

Sorry if that's boring, but it's my first day. Whataya 'spect? ;)

Jim

Never heard of not being able to try out the 4 WD on a test ride, how the heck do they expect you to know if it works!

Welcome to the craziness by the way
Now that you have read through the owners manual, plenty to read on here and LOSTJEEPs regarding what to do as far as changing fluids/ making it your own

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. I'd have told 'em **** or gotten cash off, expecting to replace the t-case because it's broke. the place I bought mine from had a lot next door I drove it around in. the test was easy... turned off traction control and nailed it in 2WD, then nailed it in 4WD. it was dead obvious the 4WD worked. :D

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a new grease gun and greased all my fittings then did an oil change. I ran a bosch filter for almost 3k this time and I will say this. NEVER AGAIN. The amount of crap that came out that should have been caught by the filter! Put in some full synth and a Napa gold on (which is what I normally run).

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a new grease gun and greased all my fittings then did an oil change. I ran a bosch filter for almost 3k this time and I will say this. NEVER AGAIN. The amount of crap that came out that should have been caught by the filter! Put in some full synth and a Napa gold on (which is what I normally run).

I tried Bosch a few times awhile back and had the same result on a couple different vehicles. Wasn't impressed. Overall I like my Wix. I've used the NAPA gold on my Subaru and look like they may be the same as the Wix?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Bought a new grease gun and greased all my fittings ...
I hope your mom didn't catch you. :happy175:

Seriously, though, we have fittings? Where? If there is something I need to be greasing I am totally unaware of it. :icon_confused:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of not being able to try out the 4 WD on a test ride, how the heck do they expect you to know if it works!
agreed. I'd have told 'em **** or gotten cash off...
It's called "trust." One of the benefits of living in rural America. I've known Jack, the dealer, for 40 years. He has been a friend, a customer (floors) and I've been his customer (various businesses) many, many times over those years. He also has an excellent return policy. If I find any problems, I know I can return the vehicle for a full refund or repair (the refund is good for 7 days and he won't sell my trade-in until after that time).

Not everything you've heard about used car dealers is true. ;) Maybe in the big city... :shrug:

Anyway... lookin' forward to hanging with you guys and learning what I can from your experiences and wisdom. I won't be wrenchin' much because of my health, but that won't make me less an enthusiast. There are some great mechanics here because this is 4WD country.

One thing I noticed different from driving my previous ride. That car had a beefed up suspension and horse power and I really loved driving the twisty paved roads around here. But driving aggressively in the Liberty requires a boost in oxygen - instead of 3 or 4 LPM, I need to crank the regulator up to 4 or 5. It's that exciting. I'll just have to remember to take a couple more tanks with me. :gr_grin:

Jim

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seriously, though, we have fittings? Where? If there is something I need to be greasing I am totally unaware of it. :icon_confused:

Unless someone swapped in some aftermarket parts (ball joints etc) with zerk fitttings, the stock stuff is not greaseable as far as my 02 is concerned.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nada stock. But I have JBA A-Arms, grease-able U-Joints and tie-rods.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called "trust." One of the benefits of living in rural America. I've known Jack, the dealer, for 40 years. He has been a friend, a customer (floors) and I've been his customer (various businesses) many, many times over those years. He also has an excellent return policy. If I find any problems, I know I can return the vehicle for a full refund or repair (the refund is good for 7 days and he won't sell my trade-in until after that time).

Not everything you've heard about used car dealers is true. ;) Maybe in the big city... :shrug:

Anyway... lookin' forward to hanging with you guys and learning what I can from your experiences and wisdom. I won't be wrenchin' much because of my health, but that won't make me less an enthusiast. There are some great mechanics here because this is 4WD country.

One thing I noticed different from driving my previous ride. That car had a beefed up suspension and horse power and I really loved driving the twisty paved roads around here. But driving aggressively in the Liberty requires a boost in oxygen - instead of 3 or 4 LPM, I need to crank the regulator up to 4 or 5. It's that exciting. I'll just have to remember to take a couple more tanks with me. :gr_grin:

Jim

Glad you have that out there. The last guy I "trusted" retired from wrenching over 20 years ago. Since then i've seen nothing but a gradual downfall in general in terms of shops knowing the difference between a 6pt and 12pt socket, much less doing jobs right and fairly.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave it a 15 second long thought as it drove my John Deere Gator the 400 yards from our lake cabin to the marina. The 270 hp Volvo Pinta in the boat removed all thoughts of Jeep.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled the driver's side wheel to check the brakes. Slow speed rattle only with light braking. Had to "tighten" the clips the pads ride on and put new boots on the slide pins. Hope that does it. Noticed the front upper ball joint boot is toast. Looks like the passenger side is okay but of course I'll replace both arms. Driver's side looks like a real PITA. Can't even see the bolt under the brake plumbing. :favorites68:

Think the front shocks are starting to leak too. They sure feel like they are shot. Gotta go buy a lottery ticket. :shrug:

I guess one or two (maybe six or eight) cold ones will make it all better.:party52:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jim

Yea these jeeps can be very tame at times. Once you open her up she will go. I installed a flowmaster to get her to scream a little. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/E8eywgTs93o

This helps my blood flow a little better.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the driver's side wheel to check the brakes. Slow speed rattle only with light braking. Had to "tighten" the clips the pads ride on and put new boots on the slide pins. Hope that does it. Noticed the front upper ball joint boot is toast. Looks like the passenger side is okay but of course I'll replace both arms. Driver's side looks like a real PITA. Can't even see the bolt under the brake plumbing. :favorites68:

Think the front shocks are starting to leak too. They sure feel like they are shot. Gotta go buy a lottery ticket. :shrug:

I guess one or two (maybe six or eight) cold ones will make it all better.:party52:

battery and battery tray have to come out. PDC has to be moved out of the way. I needed a deep well socket and 2 long extensions to get enough clearance to the front of the engine to swing the wratchet. bashed my knuckles on the water pump a couple times. that's for the rear bolt. the front bolt is a cake walk comparatively. This is also one of the reasons to get JBA arms; they have replaceable ball joints.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea these jeeps can be very tame at times. Once you open her up she will go. I installed a flowmaster to get her to scream a little. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/E8eywgTs93o

This helps my blood flow a little better.

Very nice sound. Lack of real mud in that video was disappointing though. ;) So, was that just a Flowmaster, or a cat-back system including a Flowmaster? I haven't had a chance yet to look under mine, so I don't know if a cat-back should be on my wish list, or just a better muffler and tip(s).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.