What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm barely functional in that pic. Most difficult fossil hunt ever. And, the locals LOVED Bert's "jeepkj.com" build...brodozers and pavement princesses complimenting. 58 $&@"&!?&@@$ rubber ducks in 72 hours.
I’m so glad ducking isn’t a thing in my neck of the woods.

It reminds me of a post on FB, though. A girl ducked this guy’s jeep, and she went into the store. On her return, she was met with the same duck back on her jeep, only it had been decapitated :D

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just discovered that bolt that holes on the rear passenger brake assembly apparently sheared and now it's only being held on by whatever is pressing it to the flange at the top. since it's loose the rotor seems to just barely kiss it sometimes and howl at low speeds. any thoughts on how to fix this without having to take the entire rear axle apart?

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Finally repaired my son-in-laws Laredo...which he dropped off two days before I left on my trip...

Dang thing kept throwing all sorts of random codes, random limp mode, but nothing truly diagnostic beyond gremlins in a high mileage vehicle. Was seriously considering a wire harness issue.

So, I decided to just drive it all over and get codes read anytime I saw an auto parts store in case my readers might have been malfunctioning.

Had to jump it to start it first thing, but had been sitting for two weeks...

Fifth set of random codes, no limp mode, and it wouldn't start.

Then I remembered a post from here about how Christlers (pun intended) act wonky with lousy power.

Slapped a new new battery in and problem(s) solved. I had and had tested the battery twice and it read acceptable.

I guess leaving it in the driveway to think about what it had done was all it took.

Drives like a Bert, rides like a couch.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Got rack and pinion today it’s a TruGrade/Endurance Rack & Pinion 64243 from of course the zone. Limited lifetime warranty let’s hope I don’t have to use it. Finally getting the chance to use the rack bushings that I had sitting for a while. Rack went in smooth only thing is the steering coupler isn’t aligning with the rack, the steering wheel was locked in with seat belt prior to starting job and I didn’t have the best alignment before hand either. Any way I can angle the steering coupler to sit without damaging clock spring?

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide how much it is worth it to have the dealer flush my cooling system as opposed to trying to do it myself.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I might or night not be on "vacation."
Punctured tire. Had to but a plug kit at the Dollar Store. Pretty sure the spare is OE to the jeep. I should fix that when I buy new tires.
AC quit. Smell of roached electrical from the engine bay. Something tells me the ac clutch just died.
And I'm ... not... anywhere near my tools.

picking up a 66+" belt tomorrow to keep on hand just in case.
hope I can install it on the side of the road w/o tools. if needed.
bought a cheap VOM and some clip leads tonight. tomorrow I'll do some testing to see if the clutch is toast.
no one has one in stock, so I can't even attempt a field repair.

Last edited:

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep had its annual MOT. (First one since in my possession) It failed on the UCAs as expected, I had already bought replacements. Otherwise all good APART from discovering the rear sill had completely rusted out! So a big welding bill coming.
You must be registered for see images attach
Seems that the plastic trim is a complete water/mud trap? Is the answer to bore some big drain holes in the trim?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep had its annual MOT. (First one since in my possession) It failed on the UCAs as expected, I had already bought replacements. Otherwise all good APART from discovering the rear sill had completely rusted out! So a big welding bill coming.
Seems that the plastic trim is a complete water/mud trap? Is the answer to bore some big drain holes in the trim?
Weld it up, new ebay sills are galvanised so acid etch and paint (i used raptor), I then drilled some holes and used buzzweld cavity wax aerosols and an injection lance to coat the inside of the sills. Hopefully a long term fix. Both my Jeeps have other bits of rust, if it ever stops raining I want to strip all the doors and soak the lower seams with thin cavity wax.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide how much it is worth it to have the dealer flush my cooling system as opposed to trying to do it myself.
Easier and cheaper to have a shop do it. Dealership should only be a last resort. I have Jensen Tire and Auto do mine. Costs 114$ with my educator discount.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Easier to just pop them off and rinse once in a while. Use a rust converter and auto primer to seal it. (Or pull a me and clean, repair, rust converter and bed-liner coat.) Or if you wanna get ******** convert and POR-15. can see that area pictured has been repaired before but was just primer coated. You can get a 50 pack of the clips for 10$ on scamazon since the tend to get brittle and snap.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So depending on the setting I put the multimeter at, the coil either has resistance value of 8,000 ohms, 50,000 ohms, or 327 kohms. I didn't know however if I had that the body side of the connector it is showing 14 volts when the system is trying to command it on.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easier to just pop them off and rinse once in a while. Use a rust converter and auto primer to seal it. (Or pull a me and clean, repair, rust converter and bed-liner coat.) Or if you wanna get ******** convert and POR-15. can see that area pictured has been repaired before but was just primer coated. You can get a 50 pack of the clips for 10$ on scamazon since the tend to get brittle and snap.
Thanks for the clips tip! Yes, this year I will have both sills replaced and will protect and put a regular cleaning regime in place. I need this truck to last as long as possible and am in for the long haul.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mine didn’t have such a bad tick, I’d be fixing the rockers as you plan on doing. Unfortunately, I think mine are further gone than yours.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did 150 miles in my new(er) 2.8, averaged 27MPG US or 32MPG UK cruising at 60~70MPH, not bad for a fully loaded 2 Ton brick! Suspension is horrible at speed, wondering around and getting worse with speed, hit 80 once and soon chickened out, it felt awful! Better get some bushes and ball joints on order, might finally treat it to a set of H&Rs too.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did 150 miles in my new(er) 2.8, averaged 27MPG US or 32MPG UK cruising at 60~70MPH, not bad for a fully loaded 2 Ton brick! Suspension is horrible at speed, wondering around and getting worse with speed, hit 80 once and soon chickened out, it felt awful! Better get some bushes and ball joints on order, might finally treat it to a set of H&Rs too.
Yeah, you shouldn’t be having those problems at high speeds.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H&Rs are worth every penny. Thoroughly recommend them, esp if combined with standard Bilsteins. 32 average is not bad, means you are getting up towards 40, if not more, once cruising. It's acceleration that drags it down.

Latest posts

Members online