What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There's someone in my area who has either a 02 or 03 Renegade exactly like mine, down to the color and the missing rock rails. Theirs still has the covers on the light bar lights though, and their dents are in different spots than my dents. I will always park next to a fellow liberty if I can.

You must be registered for see images attach
I always park near, but not close. I want them to walk out and say "Wow, look over there !! " :) :)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Iron Rock Off Road control arms would work on the KKs as well ??
I wonder. I don’t see why not since they are adjustable, correct?

We are leaving on a trip with our camping trailer this weekend, so I will need to use OEM this time. No time to wait for shipping.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
Bert is getting brighter! Ran out of wire, so have to finish after this week’s short research excursion. Testing out some prototypes for a stonework tool company and collecting seeds of native plants for one of the many research projects in my labs.
I like those switches and the mounting location a lot! What switches are those? I'm looking at adding some spot and flood lights to the front of my Jeep. Eventually, I'll add some reverse lights like yours to the back.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I like those switches and the mounting location a lot! What switches are those? I'm looking at adding some spot and flood lights to the front of my Jeep. Eventually, I'll add some reverse lights like yours to the back.
Those are the “Nilight” brand off of Amazon. I found them to be extremely well designed and very affordable. They are available in a variety of styles and backlight colors and there are lots of laser etched options to choose from.
I got these first three in a prewired three gang configuration as it was cheaper than buying them individually due to a flash deal. I removed them from the anodized aluminum back plate and the used it as a template to cut the dash panel.
Note I did have to cut out some plastic out of the dash structure to clearance a good fit. That did not compromise the over all structures however.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All did not go according to plan, LOL. The gas tank skid plate on the 2011 Renegade had been cut up and recycled when the junk yard emptied the tank. Oh well. I am now tracking down a 2010 Renegade at a yard about 2 hours away. I would need to fetch it later this week. Wish me luck.
No dice on the second skid plate junkyard option. It was rotted out just like mine. :( 0/2

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out OTRATTW, large selection of switches etc
think I have the letters right
just remember ,
Over The River And Through The Woods
;)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
No dice on the second skid plate junkyard option. It was rotted out just like mine. :( 0/2
I have had this issue with skid plates too. Raise your spirits by looking at what folks are charging for them all rusty on eBay...almost as much as buying them from Mopar...the OE shields for the diff are just as obscenely priced for a bit of stamped 22 gauge steel with black paint...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

Mshack

Reaction score
So today...spent 4hrs rearranging my man cave/tool room/parts room. Could not get to my tools from all the parts ordered and boxes everywhere. I think I bit off more than I can chew.

With rain all around, started on the right side, pulled wheel off and did some inspection b4 starting this complete frt end swap. Took some photos. See what y'all think of this? Interesting stuff.

How bout that brake line? Quality work there!

Attachments

• 20211005_174412.jpg
    20211005_174412.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211005_174304.jpg
    20211005_174304.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211005_174235.jpg
    20211005_174235.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211005_174201.jpg
    20211005_174201.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211005_174139.jpg
    20211005_174139.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211005_173347_03.jpg
    20211005_173347_03.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 10

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue with skid plates too. Raise your spirits by looking at what folks are charging for them all rusty on eBay...almost as much as buying them from Mopar...the OE shields for the diff are just as obscenely priced for a bit of stamped 22 gauge steel with black paint...
I may ask Joe from my local Jeep shop fabricate a new skid for me if decent Mopar ones can’t be sourced anymore.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Jeep back with new shiny black rear control arms installed. :cool: These arms are not Mopar, because they are tube shaped instead of rectangular in cross section. But they are beefy and should be plenty strong for the next 180,000 miles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the KJ it is the gas tank plate I am most worried about....they are the Pinto of the 21st century!
If you can find a Kilby gas tank skid grab it, best out there
Was rearended 4 times in the 04 and no issues at all
Pinto gas tank issues were way over rated , stupid people more than anything

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So today...spent 4hrs rearranging my man cave/tool room/parts room. Could not get to my tools from all the parts ordered and boxes everywhere. I think I bit off more than I can chew.

With rain all around, started on the right side, pulled wheel off and did some inspection b4 starting this complete frt end swap. Took some photos. See what y'all think of this? Interesting stuff.

How bout that brake line? Quality work there!
You need everything WOW, talk about completely worn out
and that brake hose has been replaced and not installed right

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Oh, I know…that’s one of those jokes the youngins don’t get. I’m used to driving with a non ventilated tank over my lap with all the wiring connections between. Hahahahaha

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Never heard of them…time to dive deep into the wayback machine…

Mshack

Reaction score
You need everything WOW, talk about completely worn out
and that brake hose has been replaced and not installed right
I pretty much got the "not installed right"
That's why I shared that pic. KNEW you would appreciate that one!

So those bolts in the bottom control arm...never done these before and there are adjusting cam looking things on both. ANYTHING I should need to know about putting those in when I put the new arm in? Kinda nervous about this part of the replacement process.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kilby skids have a great reputation on the KJ but unfortunately they never made one for the KK. Asfir Skids has one for the KK, made of aluminum and $400 shipped from Israel. That’s a bit more than I want to spend.

Tom, I located a KK Renegade with the Skid Plate package and only 70,000 miles on it at a junkyard near your old stomping ground in northern OH. May be worth a day trip next week when I’m in southern MI visiting the in-laws. What are the chances of a 70k mile-old skid not being rotted away in the salt belt?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I know…that’s one of those jokes the youngins don’t get. I’m used to driving with a non ventilated tank over my lap with all the wiring connections between. Hahahahaha
Model A Ford? Or are your Volkswagens designed this way too?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I pretty much got the "not installed right"
That's why I shared that pic. KNEW you would appreciate that one!

So those bolts in the bottom control arm...never done these before and there are adjusting cam looking things on both. ANYTHING I should need to know about putting those in when I put the new arm in? Kinda nervous about this part of the replacement process.
Mark the cam on each bolt so you can get the new bolts installed correctly and close to being in alignment

Members online