What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
wish mine had no rust.
previous owner didn't take good care of it, and I'm dealing with the aftermath.
Rust is a badge of honor on a KJ. These Libertys that still run well carry rusted out side rails and skinless doors as a testament to half donkey engineering and low quality construction materials like a champ which moxy. And contrary to the 1980s thinking, there is nothing wrong with bondo oncology and primer black coats.

In particular us rust and salt belt owners have the challenge of living in microclimates that attack our vehicles daily.

Remember that most vehicles are designed to be disposable. By Hexk, you wanna see rust? Look under any air cooled VW in any climate! By repairing rust, you are flying a big finger to the man and earning your “built not bought” bragging rights.

why be Mall Rated when you can be Fail Rated with pride!?!?

on the other hand, seeing an intact Bert makes me happy. I’ve got a double roller coat of Herculiner for a reason!

:Laughter:

Last edited:

CHIPPER146

Reaction score
Actually, I do have a couple of bubbles forming in a weird place; just right of the third brake light up on the roof. It's deep under the paint. When I tap it it's solid, no crumble. At some point I'll have to get it fixed, but for now it's not an emergence.

There are a few spots on the roof and hood where the clear coat has peeled. That's the reason for the bra. The base coat is fine, just the clear coat is in need of attention. The underneath frame and body has VERY little surface rust. For some reason the transmission pan was missing most of its paint and was rusting. I had to wire brush it and paint it with black POR.

The front suspension has surface rust, but I'm having all those components changed next week. I'll paint them with the same POR I used on the pan afterwards. Then I'll spray the entire underneath with "Fluid Film". I love that stuff. I spray it on my tractor and implements to keep the rust off them and it's worked for years.

I have a 2015 RAM pickup and it has more rust on the frame and underneath components than the KJ. At 140000 and 18 years old I have to wonder how much the KJ was driven in the snow. It originated in NJ, found its way to south central PA and now it's in NEPA, so we'll see if all my preemptive work pays off.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Actually, I do have a couple of bubbles forming in a weird place; just right of the third brake light up on the roof. It's deep under the paint. When I tap it it's solid, no crumble. At some point I'll have to get it fixed, but for now it's not an emergence.

There are a few spots on the roof and hood where the clear coat has peeled. That's the reason for the bra. The base coat is fine, just the clear coat is in need of attention. The underneath frame and body has VERY little surface rust. For some reason the transmission pan was missing most of its paint and was rusting. I had to wire brush it and paint it with black POR.

The front suspension has surface rust, but I'm having all those components changed next week. I'll paint them with the same POR I used on the pan afterwards. Then I'll spray the entire underneath with "Fluid Film". I love that stuff. I spray it on my tractor and implements to keep the rust off them and it's worked for years.

I have a 2015 RAM pickup and it has more rust on the frame and underneath components than the KJ. At 140000 and 18 years old I have to wonder how much the KJ was driven in the snow. It originated in NJ, found its way to south central PA and now it's in NEPA, so we'll see if all my preemptive work pays off.
Yeah, but your body is intact! You have normal wear and tear and likely live in a sunny place with high UV.

Many of us deal with gaping holes in the aft wells of the rear doors as the knuckle heads designed the wheel well liner to tuck UNDER the body creating a nice pouch to collect water and salt. The lower exterior door skins rot notoriously along with the side rails.

kmitch

Reaction score
Got the lower control arms replaced on recall. Dealer couldn’t put the tow hitch on, frame was too rusty.

So can an aftermarket hitch be put on instead?

Assuming I knock any loose rust off the frame.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the lower control arms replaced on recall. Dealer couldn’t put the tow hitch on, frame was too rusty.

So can an aftermarket hitch be put on instead?

Assuming I knock any loose rust off the frame.
One of the main reasons dealers do not install a hitch on is the bolts in the frame are too rusty
Check them before buying or finding a hitch setup
I've had them in my shop where there is no way I would even attempt to try and get a bolt in, nut and frame both too rusted

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil change day. 183,249 miles.

For the first time I tried using the ‘remove the headlight’ trick to reach the oil filter. It’s brilliant! Never going back to the old method.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

5 tires rotated also.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
remove the headlight? must be a KK thing.
Yup. The KK with the skid plates makes it nearly impossible to reach the oil filter from underneath. It can be done with long enough, thin enough arms, plus a filter wrench & extension, and a willingness to lose some skin. The headlight trick is great by comparison.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in time for pre-hibernation reptiles and amphibians… Bert got ditch lights today. Next have to figure out where to mount the rear floods so they don’t interfere with the Roadhouse tarp…
How did you mount them?

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

found a sister Liberty at the local grocery store. I just so happen to have some of my ducks on me.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask! Mine were not working due to dirty sockets. Then discovered the OE bulbs are garbage- you can't see anything. Replaced mine with these and can now see well or blind tailgaters.... <evil laugh>

Keep in mind you may need to add a load resistor to the circuit when going LED. I did not have to on Bert. Then again Bert is a KJ.

Best I can tell from the OE parts lists, you should be able to use a 3157 T25 unit also.
Just picked up a set of Sylvania Zevos for my reverse lights. I will report back with my impressions.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some body work on the doglegs at the rear doors on the 07 and
touched up the underside with fluid film.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
How did you mount them?
Drilled and bolted to the ABS panel at the bottom corners of the windshield. You can sort of see them in this photo. Clearer shot in my build journal thread

Attachments

• E32CE321-655B-453D-98DF-374038DE415B.jpeg
    E32CE321-655B-453D-98DF-374038DE415B.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 10

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearly you folks don't live near the ocean. It gets pretty odd looking when the die hards have their 60 gallon coolers and 20 fishing rods mounted on the front bumper.
A part of me wanted to say it looks like fishing rod holders but I didn’t know it’s actually a thing. I tie mine down up top or pull em part toss em back

CHIPPER146

Reaction score
Put Sylvania LED bulbs in the map lights. They go off and on when I pull the key, but when I'm driving the lights stay on very dim. Any others have any observations regarding LED's in the map and rear dome lights?

As an aside, they're so dim it's not a bother. And they do fade to off when I leave the vehicle, so if this is how it has to be I can live with it. Just wondering if anyone has had this occur.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put Sylvania LED bulbs in the map lights. They go off and on when I pull the key, but when I'm driving the lights stay on very dim. Any others have any observations regarding LED's in the map and rear dome lights?

As an aside, they're so dim it's not a bother. And they do fade to off when I leave the vehicle, so if this is how it has to be I can live with it. Just wondering if anyone has had this occur.
It's quite common for the led replacements. I don't know the value needed for these vehicles, but adding some resistance is usually the ticket.