What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Rust is taking its toll on the gas tank skid plate. (All the others are fine.)

It still holds the gas tank up, so no safety issues with it. I will see if I can find another at a junkyard.

The more concerning issue I found today was rust perforation in one of the rear lower control arms (drivers side). It’s on the back/inside so only noticeable from below.

A different view, same LCA

The opposite side has an intact weld on the seam that rusted out here. All 4 control arms are crusty with rust, but only the one is visually perforated. I am thinking they all need replacing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put Sylvania LED bulbs in the map lights. They go off and on when I pull the key, but when I'm driving the lights stay on very dim. Any others have any observations regarding LED's in the map and rear dome lights?

As an aside, they're so dim it's not a bother. And they do fade to off when I leave the vehicle, so if this is how it has to be I can live with it. Just wondering if anyone has had this occur.
They make bulbs that will work, not stay on even low when driving
that would drive me batty having lights like that

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transfer case drain and fill today.

For you KK people, the service manual says to fill the transfer case 3.8 pints to the bottom of the fill hole, which of course doesn’t match up. I can verify 3.8 quarts takes you to the bottom of the fill hole. The fluid is ATF+4.

Mshack

Reaction score
Got home from running my KJ hard today.

Since I put the wrong antifreeze-coolant in it a week ago and reading the threads about what happens when the wrong fluid is used.

I jumped in Tacoma and ran to the parts store and got the right fluid NOAT. Spent the evening flushing and reflushing and reflushing again. That green stuff was trapped in every corner of the system.

Way more technical than working on my 72 chevelle or 72 skylark. These newer vehicles are a pain in the tail.

So one last flush at 10pm and left it to drain. I'll put new fluid in it tomorrow evening. Tomorrow I will be driving a real postal vehicle...boohoo

So I notice this plug and tried to get it out but it will not budge.
I think I could get a better block flush with this removed? Maybe not? IDK

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That plug is for burping the air out of the cooling system once you get it refilled. Mine was stuck too, but it is not necessarily needed. You can park on a hill, nose-up, and idle for 10 or 15 minutes with the radiator cap off. That makes the radiator cap the highest point in the system and the air bubbles will make their way out. Do this starting when the engine is cold so you can actually take the radiator cap off without burns or spray.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some painstaking work with a VIN decoder and junkyard databases I potentially located a new gas tank skid plate. The whole gas tank must be dropped to replace my rusted rear control arms on Tuesday, so what better time to swap in a new skid/tank hanger …if all goes according to plan and I can pick it up on Monday.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Salt is bad news, best of luck.
Have a good penetrating oil like Kroil, soak bolts good overnight a few times. This will greatly help to break bolts free. Got an impact gun?
I can't believe how much time I've spent keeping rust at bay each year with Pro grade Rustolium.
Keep an eye on rockers & the back braking plates too. I spray a lot of fluid film in door jams etc. Winter is harsh on our Jeeps.
Power wash Jeep whenever possible!!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks TC! The good news is the rust rot is limited to the gas tank skid plate and the rear control arms. There is no real rust on the underbody, rockers, doors, etc. I probably need to get under there at some point with the POR-15 and the Fluid Film and have at it, to keep things from eventually rusting out.

Never used Fluid Film before, but from what I read and see online it works well. I read it is lanolin based. My wife is strongly allergic to wool, so I hesitate to coat our vehicle in it!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Thanks TC! The good news is the rust rot is limited to the gas tank skid plate and the rear control arms. There is no real rust on the underbody, rockers, doors, etc. I probably need to get under there at some point with the POR-15 and the Fluid Film and have at it, to keep things from eventually rusting out.

Never used Fluid Film before, but from what I read and see online it works well. I read it is lanolin based. My wife is strongly allergic to wool, so I hesitate to coat our vehicle in it!
Shouldn’t be an issue- different proteins- and it has been rendered and denatured.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Preping my electrical. No I ain’t doing what folks call rock lights…it’s really called ground effects and it is lame…but my ditch light switch cover hasn’t arrived yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 8

kmitch

Reaction score
Check your Jeep on mopar.com it will tell you if there are any recalls. I just got one done which replaced the rear lower control arms because of the rust.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your Jeep on mopar.com it will tell you if there are any recalls. I just got one done which replaced the rear lower control arms because of the rust.
Thanks, did that. Unfortunately the recalls were for the KJ only, through the 2007 model year. Mine’s an 08. Wish I could get free replacements from Jeep though!!!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Bert is getting brighter! Ran out of wire, so have to finish after this week’s short research excursion. Testing out some prototypes for a stonework tool company and collecting seeds of native plants for one of the many research projects in my labs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 14

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score

found a sister Liberty at the local grocery store. I just so happen to have some of my ducks on me.
There's someone in my area who has either a 02 or 03 Renegade exactly like mine, down to the color and the missing rock rails. Theirs still has the covers on the light bar lights though, and their dents are in different spots than my dents. I will always park next to a fellow liberty if I can.

Mshack

Reaction score
Got the antifreeze-coolant replaced after work and church...old man worn smooth out.
Took the top radiator hose off cause looked like a pin hole leak had been spraying a spot on the power steering pump. And I was correct. Small crack on bottom side of the hose. Replaced it and replaced the fill/overflow reservoir also. Looks much better and all fresh fuild filled and no leaks!

SUCCESS

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some painstaking work with a VIN decoder and junkyard databases I potentially located a new gas tank skid plate. The whole gas tank must be dropped to replace my rusted rear control arms on Tuesday, so what better time to swap in a new skid/tank hanger …if all goes according to plan and I can pick it up on Monday.
All did not go according to plan, LOL. The gas tank skid plate on the 2011 Renegade had been cut up and recycled when the junk yard emptied the tank. Oh well. I am now tracking down a 2010 Renegade at a yard about 2 hours away. I would need to fetch it later this week. Wish me luck.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped the Jeep at the shop for new rear control arms tomorrow. This repair is bigger than I have time or tools for, and I have no driveway to work in. They will do the job right.

PS, on the KK you have to drop the gas tank to get the rear control arm bolts out.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dropped the Jeep at the shop for new rear control arms tomorrow. This repair is bigger than I have time or tools for, and I have no driveway to work in. They will do the job right.

PS, on the KK you have to drop the gas tank to get the rear control arm bolts out.
I wonder if the Iron Rock Off Road control arms would work on the KKs as well ??