What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my Father bought a Wi11ly's Jeep Station Wagon years ago...red and white and looked like a Fire Engine! My Father never paid much attention to little things like water in the radiator or oil in the engine so when the engine seized some of his friends fitted some V8 motor into it. This would never start but fortunately we stayed at the top of a hill and a good push normally got it started before it reached the bottom!;)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Yeah my Father bought a Wi11ly's Jeep Station Wagon years ago...red and white and looked like a Fire Engine! My Father never paid much attention to little things like water in the radiator or oil in the engine so when the engine seized some of his friends fitted some V8 motor into it. This would never start but fortunately we stayed at the top of a hill and a good push normally got it started before it reached the bottom!;)
There is much to be said for any vehicle one can Skateboard it to start. Drove my much missed 67 bug without a starter for two years. “Thou shalt always park on the downside of a hill.”

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the Jeep to work all week as I was waiting for a downstream O2 sensor and ELD for the Honda.

I like it, but it's 20 mpg instead of 40 mpg, and I'm well known as cheap.

Put a little brake fluid in the Jeep. It looks dirty in there. Now that the Honda is back on the road I need to get the Jeep up off all fours and ready to brake bleed. And inspect everything at each wheel. It sure does run nice, with no codes or issues. Starts every time. The last 3 weekends I had 150 miles each weekend to the Paiute trail access round trip with no issues.

I'm ready for the first oil change. Almost 9 months and I think I'm at 4500 miles or so. That's about when I like new oil. It looks down a small tad. Less than a quart, I suppose.

So I think it does burn some, but not much.

It's almost September and I still haven't been on the motorcycle. I guess I need to sell it.
dc

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you rode the bike.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Installed disposable Tyvek seat covers, loaded up my BSL-3 suit, UV-C portable room sterilizer, and a backpack sprayer of lab grade disinfectant as me and Bert are now the "mobile rapid response" on campus when the filthy animals show up for class infected.

Good news is if things keep going as they are, I'll have to take a few weeks off and head back to the desert as the campus will be empty...good thing I still have weeks of vacation time on the books...

<gleeful evil laughter>

p14175

Reaction score
A week or so ago I took off for the store, made a left and went down the street. Then the air conditioning started acting funny. Got to the end of the road. No power steering. Turned around and took the Jeep home. Opened the KJ's hood and found the serpentine belt lying on top of the engine.

The guts of the tensioner had pretty much disintegrated. FWIW, the P/N for the tensioner was 028100RAA I have no clue who manufactured the part. When the PO did the timing belt replacement he bought the cheapest tensioner he could find. The timing belt was replaced at 150k. The KJ has 175k on it now so the cheap tensioner lasted about 25k miles. The two rollers were still VM parts, but the bearings were shot.

Anyway I contacted IDParts for their serpentine belt kit. Received it in a little over a week. Went to install it this morning and, instead of VM rollers like their ad says it should come with, it had Crown parts instead. One of the rollers they sent has a bad bearing so it's getting sent back as soon as they send me a shipping tag. The VM rollers are on backorder until November 2021. I want to get the KJ back on the road sooner than that so I'll accept the Crown parts. Hopefully the new roller will show up on Thursday as they say it will.

Last edited:

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a synthetic cable in my winch and installed the Factor 55 e hook. I am working on the front suspension, but ran into a snag with the driver side clevis bolt. Someone rounded off the head of the bolt, and the nut had siezed on the bolt. Ended up having to cut the nut off in pieces, waiting for the Jeep dealer to get a new part in. I never realized how much i enjoyed driving my jeep. hopefully I can get it done before Friday when i am supposed to pick up the girlfreind and go do the pipeline with some friends!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Look what came today from JBAoffroad! :cool:

I am excited to install these. The old upper ball joints are 2010 & 2015 vintage. The lowers are Moogs from 2012. Things are getting a bit clunky over bumps. Time to do a bit of updating.

Last edited:

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced hood gas struts and found a Liberty Renegade roof rack for $20.00 at a salvage yard.

Very good price, I did not know there were different factory roof racks. What would be the advantage/upgrade of the renegade roof rack?

ic_geeps

Reaction score
Very good price, I did not know there were different factory roof racks. What would be the advantage/upgrade of the renegade roof rack?
I have a ham radio (amateur radio) and antenna in and on the vehicle. The antenna is a drilled NMO mount. When I replace the tall antenna (seen in photo) with the shorter one, the different roof rack will allow a kayak to be secured to the roof rack and it will completely clear the antenna which was not possible before. :)

Reactions: JRB

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I have a ham radio (amateur radio) and antenna in and on the vehicle. The antenna is a drilled NMO mount. When I replace the tall antenna (seen in photo) with the shorter one, the different roof rack will allow a kayak to be secured to the roof rack and it will completely clear the antenna which was not possible before. :)
73!