Waterpump leaking-- advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching an incredibly slow leak of...something oily from the center/drivers side of the front of the engine, I have now traced it with absolute certainty that it's coolant. I ran for a while strongly believing it was a weeping power steering hose, but I have now ruled that out. I traced an original drip from one of the bolts on the waterpump housing. I've got about 76k on the Libby now, so I figure a new waterpump wouldn't hurt.

What are the general opinions? If it's not a bad waterpump itself, is it wise to just replace the gasket? And if it's advised to replace the waterpump anyway, should I also go ahead and replace the T-Stat as well? Also, the price difference between the basic OEM pump and the super-heterodyne brand-name super-secret model made from space-aged material is about $30. Should I get the 'better' more expensive one, or just fly OEM on this mission?

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naut my only advice is this having just done mine ....you are going to have to remove it anyway to replace just the gasket ...you certainly dont want to fool with it twice down the road or have the pump eventually let loose on you one night and end up stranded ....I personally would just go ahead and replace the pump and I would always buy a NEW pump rather over a rebuilt oem or rebuilt space aged etc. Go new. Since you are in there and losing coolant a new thermostat might as well be put in...hit everything with a shot of rusty bolt loosener the night before including the tstat housing bolts. I went ahead and did a motor flush also. I just hate having to do things twice and when I am in there I like to do things once and have that piece of mind knowing its all new. J

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and see if the pulley has any play in it. Its not really expensive or hard to change out anyway..

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
There are two places the water pump can leak, from the gasket or the weep hole. If it is from the weep hole (if they have them), the pump needs replaced no matter what. No matter what, the pump has to come off, may as well put a new one on since you're at 76k miles...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Apropos of this whole thing, I was browsing through my Chilton's manual on the waterpump replacement instructions and I have to say it looks pretty darned easy. However, they noted that first, you must remove 'waterpump pulley'. Then they give absolutely no instructions on how to do this. And I'm staring at my WP pulley and wondering... How do you get the thing off? I don't see a 'bolt', I just see a threaded post sticking out of the thing. Advice?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...

I just checked the service manual, the pulley doesn't need to be removed from the pump, just the hose and unbolt...

Also i double checked on the replacement pumps with a few sources online, they all include the pulley on the pump. The pulley is included with the new pump.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm stumped why the Chilton's manual says to remove the pulley from the pump, but then i have used a couple of those manuals in the past and my experience is they are written in a pretty general form, what works on one vehicle must work on this one, etc..

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...

I just checked the service manual, the pulley doesn't need to be removed from the pump, just the hose and unbolt...

Also i double checked on the replacement pumps with a few sources online, they all include the pulley on the pump. The pulley is included with the new pump.

Thanks kb. I was beginning to wonder that, but it was such a radical idea, I felt I better not put it on record. My friend and I were looking at my engine today (as we manly men tend to do.. stand around, grunt and stare at engine...) and he suggested that the pulley might not come off.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks kb. I was beginning to wonder that, but it was such a radical idea, I felt I better not put it on record. My friend and I were looking at my engine today (as we manly men tend to do.. stand around, grunt and stare at engine...) and he suggested that the pulley might not come off.

bahaha, youre not a real man until youve done that! :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you have to add this....

Stand around front of vehicle drinking a beer, staring at engine, and saying "Yep", "Uh-Huh", "That's for sure" And so on.... etc

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes off,need a special puller but it does come off,just saying.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes off,need a special puller but it does come off,just saying.

Kay, good to know. Does the puller have a specific name, can I rent it at NAPA or Autozone? And is it necessary to take it off for replacing the water pump?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kay, good to know. Does the puller have a specific name, can I rent it at NAPA or Autozone? And is it necessary to take it off for replacing the water pump?
No need to pull it off since the new waterpump comes with one,I was just stating the pulley can come off and it's not worth the hassle to remove it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to pull it off since the new waterpump comes with one,I was just stating the pulley can come off and it's not worth the hassle to remove it.

Those are the magic words that are music to my ears. Thanks, tj. I just wasn't clear if it was necessary or not.