Wanted - broken round KJ dash vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'm looking for some round KJ dash vents to experiment with. A few at first, then maybe as many as you can break.

My idea is to use the outer and inner ring as a base for a gauge mount. I'm installing a boost gauge in a gauge mount that isn't available anymore. No problem except I want to add an exhaust gas temperature gauge next to it someday when the exhaust manifold, or head have to come off. (Tapping and plugging EGR port in exhaust manifold for enhanced EGSRD)

This might seem like a CRD "banana" thing to all of the "orange" gasoline KJs but some among you might want a transmission temp gauge or... whatever.

I'll shop the local junk yard but it's a small place without many KJs passing through.

Silver lining of this project might be that I might be able to reconstruct some functional dash vents from the bits of the broken ones.

Reactions: klc

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some round KJ dash vents to experiment with. A few at first, then maybe as many as you can break.

My idea is to use the outer and inner ring as a base for a gauge mount. I'm installing a boost gauge in a gauge mount that isn't available anymore. No problem except I want to add an exhaust gas temperature gauge next to it someday when the exhaust manifold, or head have to come off. (Tapping and plugging EGR port in exhaust manifold for enhanced EGSRD)

This might seem like a CRD "banana" thing to all of the "orange" gasoline KJs but some among you might want a transmission temp gauge or... whatever.

I'll shop the local junk yard but it's a small place without many KJs passing through.

Silver lining of this project might be that I might be able to reconstruct some functional dash vents from the bits of the broken ones.
Gah. Recyclers mine a while back.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm due to have something break. I'll let you know if it happens to be one of those.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Where do you live? I'll have ***** stop by and break two. Leave the window open or he'll break that too.

("G.u.i.d.o" is a bad word???)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
A "g u i d o" is a term for a guy from NJ who goes to the gym six times a day and spends the rest of his time getting a suntan. It was also the first name of my wrestling coach in HS.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, this was also the nickname of our athletic director in high school. He was of Italian ancestry, and also looked the part. He responded to the nickname and thought it was funny — it did not seem to be a slur used behind his back or anything. Maybe the term is used as an anti-Italian slur by some people, and we have made some forward progress since the ‘80’s.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My wrestling coach in HS was back in the 70s and no negative connotation was attached at all back then. I think it came to be a slang way of being snarky, kind of like calling a Spanish person a "P e d r o".

My understanding of this usage of Gui.. is that it is more derogatory of a lifestyle choice than an ethnicity, kind of like referring to someone as a "metrosexual".

But I think I may be distracting from the original poster's attempt to buy broken stuff, so I will shut up. :D

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My wrestling coach in HS was back in the 70s and no negative connotation was attached at all back then. I think it came to be a slang way of being snarky, kind of like calling a Spanish person a "P e d r o".

My understanding of this usage of Gui.. is that it is more derogatory of a lifestyle choice than an ethnicity, kind of like referring to someone as a "metrosexual".

But I think I may be distracting from the original poster's attempt to buy broken stuff, so I will shut up. :D
Depends on where you’re from. In the rust belt it is derogatory for Italian Americans.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
In Italy G.u.i.d.o is just another Italian name. Now I'm feeling all racisty so apologies to all Guidos and Jerseyans and Italians.

A "professional" will be by to bust profdlp's dash vents.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Italy G.u.i.d.o is just another Italian name. Now I'm feeling all racisty so apologies to all Guidos and Jerseyans and Italians.

A "professional" will be by to bust profdlp's dash vents.
He’s a legitimate businessman in the salvage industry!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Jeepers, the mail truck burned up so all the damaged dash vents (round) you all generously sent me have semi-melted down. Would you please send more?

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh I read this thread thinking I might learn something about how to replace a broken vent or two to only have my heritage burned and scorned. Damn now I understand what it is to be young and woke ......

Not ......

fuhgeddaboudit

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Gosh I read this thread thinking I might learn something about how to replace a broken vent or two to only have my heritage burned and scorned. Damn now I understand what it is to be young and woke ......

Not ......

fuhgeddaboudit

Tip the dash vent down from the top and continue pulling the top toward you, the vent will pop out. There's an inner ring held by 4 locking points. Gently work the inner ring loose past the locking points. The flap assembly will drop out, maybe in pieces. It consists of the middle flap with the manual adjustment lever, four smaller flaps, and a transfer bar, or strut. If the transfer bar and the small pins that fit in it are OK it can probably be reassembled good as new. If a flap, or its' pin are damaged the vent will function better if you just leave it out. This should work on all Liberties with round vents regardless of body color, state, or country driven in. Woke, slept, awakened, WHATEVER. Should work the same for everyone.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tip the dash vent down from the top and continue pulling the top toward you, the vent will pop out. There's an inner ring held by 4 locking points. Gently work the inner ring loose past the locking points. The flap assembly will drop out, maybe in pieces. It consists of the middle flap with the manual adjustment lever, four smaller flaps, and a transfer bar, or strut. If the transfer bar and the small pins that fit in it are OK it can probably be reassembled good as new. If a flap, or its' pin are damaged the vent will function better if you just leave it out. This should work on all Liberties with round vents regardless of body color, state, or country driven in. Woke, slept, awakened, WHATEVER. Should work the same for everyone.
I clipped my phone mount to the broken one, lol, so I don’t have to look at it.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I clipped my phone mount to the broken one, lol, so I don’t have to look at it.
Trade ya!

Picked up some dash vents from an '04 that timed the tides wrong. On the hunt for some metal to make a fixture to hold them and then the meltdowns and shrapnel can begin. Still interested in broken/extra dash vents; willing to trade!

Noticed a herd of old rusty VW bugs and the yardman said an 83 year old friend had owned them; had a heart attack chasing a moose with a stick.

Reactions: klc

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have one. it's not broken but it doesn't stick to the registration properly. pops out when pointed down too much. would trade for a driver side, side mirror that has auto dimming and heat :D

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
i have one. it's not broken but it doesn't stick to the registration properly. pops out when pointed down too much. would trade for a driver side, side mirror that has auto dimming and heat :D
None of my mirrors do any of that magical stuff!

Check your vent mounting pins in the dashboard to make sure they're not damaged. There are different sized mounting pins on each side of the vent. They only install one way unless someone used a hammer to install it. The inner ring of the dash vent has the pins and it's one of the parts I need but I might end up with odd parts that might help you so take a close look and see where your damage is.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online