Want Tow Package for '02 KJ (hitch, wiring, etc.) -- any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my hitch and wiring from eTrailer last night, $198 shipped.

Mine has the power steering oil cooler, is that standard on all KJ's or did mine have the towing package possibly and someone removed the hitch? I don't have the gas tank skid plate and the bolt holes look like there is ghost of something that was there.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine has the power steering oil cooler, is that standard on all KJ's or did mine have the towing package possibly and someone removed the hitch? I don't have the gas tank skid plate and the bolt holes look like there is ghost of something that was there.

Interesting. I definitely have the skid plate, but what does the power steering cooler look like? Care to take a photo so I can see if I have it as well?

BTW--what was the shipping turnaround through eTrailer?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's likely because there's a lot more involved in the tow package than just the hitch... there's extra HD cooling as well.

You can get away without the HD cooling if whatever you're towing is lightweight. Sometimes what you're towing needs the hitch, but weighs relatively little (within a couple of thousand lbs). I mean, put it this way, if you saw some of the friends that drive around with me occasionally, I'm pretty sure I'm close to the 3k 'non-hd cooling' limit right there. SHOCKED.gif

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you're towing less than 3000lbs, I think you'll be fine without the HD cooler, as long as there are little to no hills.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got it ordered last night, so its not here yet, and i the tracking number isn't showing me the details yet, i assume because it was just shipped today.

I would take a picture of the cooler but the KJ is in the body shop until tomorrow afternoon to take care of the deer hit.

Its a rectangular finned cooler on the drivers side of the grill, if you have it you will see it plain as day in the first grill opening on the drivers side, aluminum piece thats vertically mounted, maybe 5 inches wide?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I can't remember, but depending on the model years some KJs already came with the Power Steering cooler and transmission cooler STANDARD, towing package or not.

All that needs to be added is the fan in these cases. I'd personally go "factory" as I don't like the "look" of aftermarket hitches.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember, but depending on the model years some KJs already came with the Power Steering cooler and transmission cooler STANDARD, towing package or not.

All that needs to be added is the fan in these cases. I'd personally go "factory" as I don't like the "look" of aftermarket hitches.
All '02 KJ's had the P/S cooler standard.When the 42RLE trans went in the used a stand alone cooler for the trans which really ***** at controlling temp spikes that can happen.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What fan are you guys using? I have a 2002 (comes with the separate p/s cooler). Since it has the mileage computer it should also have the wiring in the back for the hitch. I am getting ready to order a hitch to pull a popup but understand the liberty will handle 5,000 if I plan to prepare it to handle that for future possible use.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have a WK now but I wouldn't dare tow with it as is. Why? Because if my temp gauge goes up while waiting at Burger King (everything is perfectly fine), I KNOW I shouldn't tow anything with it.

I wouldn't hesitate at ALL to tow with my sister's KJ, as it is properly fitted with the 5000lb towing package from the factory.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fan are you guys using? I have a 2002 (comes with the separate p/s cooler). Since it has the mileage computer it should also have the wiring in the back for the hitch. I am getting ready to order a hitch to pull a popup but understand the liberty will handle 5,000 if I plan to prepare it to handle that for future possible use.
Just becuase you have the trip computer does not mean you have the trailer wiring already.You only get that with the OEM tow package.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just becuase you have the trip computer does not mean you have the trailer wiring already.You only get that with the OEM tow package.

My research was that the plug behind the right rear panel was part of the factory wiring harness that included the overhead mileage info panel. If the mileage info panel was absent (sport?) then the plug and play plug in the back would not be there and you had to use the trailer hitch wiring kit that spliced into the taillights.

I don't mean the actual trailer wiring... just the plug on the wiring harnes where the trailer wiring kit would plug into the jeep behing the panel.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My research was that the plug behind the right rear panel was part of the factory wiring harness that included the overhead mileage info panel. If the mileage info panel was absent (sport?) then the plug and play plug in the back would not be there and you had to use the trailer hitch wiring kit that spliced into the taillights.

I don't mean the actual trailer wiring... just the plug on the wiring harnes where the trailer wiring kit would plug into the jeep behing the panel.
Okay I understand now,but it does not matter all KJ's have that plug in the passenger side/rear cargo area.I don't have the overhead computer and I have that plug,I know since I plugged the OEM trailer flat 4 wiring to it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
tjkj is right... it depends on how your KJ was originally equipped. EVIC has nothing to do with it. I believe you have the "Premium BCM and/or Wiring Harness" as long as your KJ has the following options:

Keyless Entry
Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Fog Lights

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
For $260.00 Canadian Dollars, I had a Class Three rated hitch mounted and a four pin flat wire connector installed.
The only problem the installer had was the fact that there was too much dried mud and rocks embedded up underneath the under carriage!:D
The installer said, "This is the very first Liberty that I have ever seen that has been "Offraod"!
I felt so bad that this installer got dumped on with mud and rocks that I gave him a $50.00 tip!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
$130 for a Curt Class IV hitch and $45 for the (piggy back style, no splicing) wiring kit all from my local Uhaul. No splicing no cursing just sore knees from holding the hitch up while I bolted it on.

And those are CDN prices .. I'm sure your prices are even better

Cheers,
Luke

P.S. I had to use a lot of liquid wrench and a very small wire brush to clean out my weld nuts, one of which was very bad.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
$130 for a Curt Class IV hitch and $45 for the (piggy back style, no splicing) wiring kit all from my local Uhaul. No splicing no cursing just sore knees from holding the hitch up while I bolted it on.

And those are CDN prices .. I'm sure your prices are even better

Cheers,
Luke

P.S. I had to use a lot of liquid wrench and a very small wire brush to clean out my weld nuts, one of which was very bad.

Gotta love Canadian weather eh?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to look at mine again when it gets back today, i think mine has the seperate trans cooler also. The only thing i don't have is the added fan shroud and the engine driven fan to make it a true OEM towing package but i don't plan on towing anything heavy so i'm not going to worry about it.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Please post pictures when you're done with the installation. Would like to see how that hitch looks on the car.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a picture of the cooler but the KJ is in the body shop until tomorrow afternoon to take care of the deer hit.

Its a rectangular finned cooler on the drivers side of the grill, if you have it you will see it plain as day in the first grill opening on the drivers side, aluminum piece thats vertically mounted, maybe 5 inches wide?

Hmm...maybe I simply don't have this--but I don't see anyting that looks like this description. We're talking about the power steering cooler, correct? Is it anywhere near the power steering reservoir? If when you get your car back you could take photos I'd appreciate it--thanks.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the delay getting back, its been a crazy weekend here!

The trans cooler sticks out like a sore thumb if you have it, take a step back from the front of the Jeep, look at the drivers side of the grill in the first slot of the grill, you should have a small aluminum cooler hanging there with lines coming into the top of it. It's too dark to go out and get a pic taken otherwise i would right now.

My hitch will be here Tuesday by UPS so i can take some pictures then of the the install.

Anyone got a garage and a light that can take a picture of the power steering oil cooler before me? I got some snapshots of the Jeep from this weekend, i will see if any of them show the front well enough to see the cooler.