04 KJ Trans and towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Semi's are a different animal mainly because the trailer hookup point is ahead of the rear axles. Makes a very big difference.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok.
waiting for every pickup with a trailer load bigger than them to crash in 3... 2... 1...

You must be registered for see images attach

there's one of these parked near me all the time, usually loaded with 3 vehicles not 2. they and another truck (similar to below) apparently haul wrecks around, probably for insurance companies if I had to guess.

(i'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think his load is at least 5x as heavy as the pulling truck. even if it's not a bumper pull.)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably also has an air brake system on the trailer otherwise stopping would be 'interesting'.
It's strange how different the laws regarding towing change around the world. A Jeep KJ auto here can tow a maximum of 3500kg with brakes and 750kg without. The manual has a lower rating as its not full-time 4x4. I pull a small trailer and a much larger caravan, the Jeep doesn't struggle with either.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was deciding if I wanted a Liberty or something else, I looked at all the specs, especially what the euro ratings were. Either lots of europe is flat as hell, or they just don't care as much (or your lawyers aren't as evil.) Regardless, I'm comfortable with the highest I've ever towed/weighed, and I keep all parts of the rig in top shape

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
ok.
waiting for every pickup with a trailer load bigger than them to crash in 3... 2... 1...

there's one of these parked near me all the time, usually loaded with 3 vehicles not 2. they and another truck (similar to below) apparently haul wrecks around, probably for insurance companies if I had to guess.

(i'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think his load is at least 5x as heavy as the pulling truck. even if it's not a bumper pull.)

A 1T pickup is also rated for a much higher load than a scrawny Liberty. That’s a gooseneck trailer with excellent braking vs a no brakes bumper pull too. Compare apples to apples, not mangos. That 1T is also DOT certified rated and inspected to tow that load. The driver is also licensed differently than a simple driver’s license. How do I know? I had one when I drove a DOT certified/registered 3/4 ton hauling a 7x14 trailer loaded with Harley Davidson motorcycles for a dealership.

I’ve pulled many different very large things in this lifetime and hauling a larger load than a small vehicle is rated for asking for an underwear dirtying accident.

Your bumper hitch is rated at 3500# total pull weight. Guaranteed that trailer and load exceeds your rated capacity.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hitch is rated to 7500#, my draw bar is rated to 16,000#, the most the trailer weighed (estimated) was about 6,000#, my trailer brake controller is hydraulic over electric.
And I happen to know this dude personally...

Who drove that combo like that for over 10,000 miles without any issues.

But hey you do you.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a difference of could be done and should be done. I've got a camper about that size and while I can pull it with the kj, (only done it once across town for just a few miles) I much prefer to use the 3/4 Yukon XL. It just works better in every way.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
In the US, there is no Liberty rated to pull over 5k pounds. Here’s a link for your edification on simplified safe towing. If you’re ever in an accident with that rig, you will be sued and your insurance won’t help.

Now, you go right ahead and do whatever ya feels like. Some days you can’t get thru to people.

Latest posts

Members online