Want Tow Package for '02 KJ (hitch, wiring, etc.) -- any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called the dealer to see what it would cost to add the factory tow package to my '02 Limited--$373 for parts plus $475 more for labor. $850 for a tow package?

I could just buy the factory parts somewhere then shop for an indy to install I suppose--but is there a aftermarket package anyone would suggest?

I want to tow a very lightweight 16' boat.

Thanks!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what i'm going to do on my '03, go to etrailer.com and order up the Draw-Tite receiver and the custom fit wiring harness. About $226 total.

It's an easy install, do it yourself!!

First of all go underneath and see if you have the skid plate over your gas tank, my 03' doesn't, so all i need to do is lift the hitch up under there, plan on using a couple jack stands to hold it, and then wrench in six bolts using existing nuts welded to the frame. If you have the skid plate you have to unbolt it and put the receiver over it, just put a jackstand or your tire jack under the skid plate to hold it up and then unbolt it and use the new bolts with the receiver to install over the skid plate.

The wiring is easy, you take apart a bit of the back right corner to get to the factory wiring plug to the rear end, unplug that and put the custom harness inline, just plug and play connectors, and then route down through the grommet in the floor that they provided for the factory harness.

Go with the Draw-Tite, there is a few other makes available, but after reading some reviews on here and other sites the Draw-Tite has a longer tube that helps clear the rear bumper and gives you a bit more room to work around the spare once you put in your drawbar.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I just called the dealer to see what it would cost to add the factory tow package to my '02 Limited--$373 for parts plus $475 more for labor. $850 for a tow package?

I could just buy the factory parts somewhere then shop for an indy to install I suppose--but is there a aftermarket package anyone would suggest?

I want to tow a very lightweight 16' boat.

Thanks!

That's likely because there's a lot more involved in the tow package than just the hitch... there's extra HD cooling as well.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he was towing much more i would worry about the added cooling, but a light boat shouldn't be a problem.

There is other companies that make trans oil coolers for them also. The OEM package is overpriced in my opinion.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for so quickly providing useful suggestions.

If I go with the etrailer.com/Draw-Tite class III (5,000 lb) setup, there are 2 wiring harnesses offered:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118382.htm?vehicleid=20022402
or
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~42475.htm?vehicleid=20022402

Cost is negligible--any clue on which would be better?

I'd be nervous towing 7,500 lb in the Liberty I think...anyway--the boat I want to tow is probably 2,000 lb with the trailer and everything in it so I'm thinking the Class III Draw-Tite would be more than sufficient.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A KJ is only rated for 5000lbs max when properly outfitted(auto trans only and with HD cooling),manual KJ's are maxed at 3500lbs no matter what,you must have a hitch that uses all 6 bolt holes in the unibody and the bolts must be metric grade 10.9 or higher.You need to watch out with some of those aftermarket wiring kits,they can cause problems.

I bought the OEM hitch and the OEM flat-4 wiring for $210,granted it was 7 years ago and I worked at the dealership.I'm not sure about the price anymore but a few months ago I installed the HD cooling kit on a '07 KJ(mechanical fan,shroud,and electric fan) and the person bought it brand new from a online Jeep dealership for less the $250.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to watch out with some of those aftermarket wiring kits,they can cause problems.

I bought the OEM hitch and the OEM flat-4 wiring for $210,granted it was 7 years ago and I worked at the dealership.I'm not sure about the price anymore but a few months ago I installed the HD cooling kit on a '07 KJ(mechanical fan,shroud,and electric fan) and the person bought it brand new from a online Jeep dealership for less the $250.

Getting the factory tow package from the dealer is a bit confusing to me, but I've called all over town and the best price on the harness/wiring I can get is $141. That's a 7-way connector part # 82207248AB. I guess it used to be less but that's what it costs now.

The factory hitch receiver I understand will be hard to get. They say I need part # 82207535 -- and the price varies some but would cost me roughly $179 apparently. One dealer quoted me $195. Whatever the price, I guess I'd need to call Chrysler to even get it--no one in the city actually has one on hand. Sounds like a long wait no matter what.

So if I persevered with the above quotes I've got $320 plus CA State Tax .0875 ($28) $348.

The first dealer quoted me $373 for "everything" but I didn't clarify what that meant and should have--maybe they included the ball (an additional $33-$65 I understand). The above is a more specific breakdown on the factory package based on calls.

The dealer wanted to ****, er, charge me for 5 hours labor for this -- looks like an hour's work from the etrailer website although I'm not a skilled mechanic by any stretch.

In any case based on costs and troubles aftermarket is quite tempting price-wise especially since I can apparently avoid tax completely. I started out wanting to go factory, but now I'm confused and not so sure. I would *hope* that whatever wiring I bought wouldn't give me a problem...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better be fast about ordering on the web,they are starting to charge sales tax no matter where you live on the websites now,then you get to pay S/H also.Some fed law is closing that no sales tax loophole.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Better be fast about ordering on the web,they are starting to charge sales tax no matter where you live on the websites now,then you get to pay S/H also.Some fed law is closing that no sales tax loophole.

What about other countries tj? Hear anything about that?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the wiring kit from eTrailer thats part number 42475, its an easy install and a powered converter so it doesn't draw off the vehicles lighting circuits.

You pull back the right rear corner, plug it in, and then connect power. You can look at the install instructions on the eTrailer website. What i'm going to do, and many others have, is tap into the power going to the rear power outlet thats on that same panel. A lot easier than running a seperate wire all the way to the battery.

Unless your pulling a trailer with a gazillion lights that circuit is enough to do the job and its fused up front.

The other one is the cheesy one that requires pulling off both tail lights and plugging it in on both sides. And it draws from the lighting not a seperate power connection.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and if it takes you an hour don't sweat it, but it sure as heck ain't going to take hours like the dealer said. I bet i can get mine done in an hour, and that includes some breaks to grab a cold one.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and if it takes you an hour don't sweat it, but it sure as heck ain't going to take hours like the dealer said. I bet i can get mine done in an hour, and that includes some breaks to grab a cold one.
For the full tow package by the book probably list's 5 hours labor,even more so if you have a gas tank skid.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Again there's some issues here. You're being quoted, as you seem to be asking for the TOW PACKAGE, not just the hitch and wiring. It's going to take a few hours to install the TOW PACKAGE, of course the hitch and wiring can be done in about an hour or so.

jparts.com is listing the hitch ITSELF for $159.13. The wiring is $114.61. So a total of $266.

7-WAY WIRING
http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=222&osCsid=fb9ace6e493e4cd7bab769f045201dae
4-WAY WIRING
http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=221&osCsid=fb9ace6e493e4cd7bab769f045201dae

HITCH
http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=125&osCsid=fb9ace6e493e4cd7bab769f045201dae

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow Package for 2002 KJ:

1. Power Steering cooler
2. Extra Mechanical Engine cooling fan (you still also have an electrical cooling fan as well)
3. Different Shroud to cover BOTH cooling fans
4. Factory class 3 hitch
5. 7 pin trailer connector.

If you are towing a boat that weighs only 2000lbs than you will do just fine to purchase only a hitch and wire harness. The stock cooling fan should be able to keep the engine cool while you are towing and fresh powersteering fluid can negate the need for the cooler.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow Package for 2002 KJ:

1. Power Steering cooler
2. Extra Mechanical Engine cooling fan (you still also have an electrical cooling fan as well)
3. Different Shroud to cover BOTH cooling fans
4. Factory class 3 hitch
5. 7 pin trailer connector.

If you are towing a boat that weighs only 2000lbs than you will do just fine to purchase only a hitch and wire harness. The stock cooling fan should be able to keep the engine cool while you are towing and fresh powersteering fluid can negate the need for the cooler.

Good to know--but the dealer did not quote me for anything other than the hitch and connector. Those other things might be a part of the total package but they weren't offering me those things included in the price(s) I quoted. Also they were not offering those in the labor quote.

Would be nice to have all that though--but I'm glad to hear a small boat wouldn't absolutely require it.

Last edited: