Transponder in key removable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know can the transponder in an '06 key can be removed from the board while still retaining the functionality of the remote buttons?
You must be registered for see images attach

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transponder is a chip such as used at supermarkets or clothe shops where they fit them on some articles to sound an alarm as you leave the premises if it has not been de-activated.

So it actually is not battery powered....battery is only for the remote key functions. Try pull out the battery and see if the Jeep will still fire up!

When the key is inserted into the ignition slot there is a wire "loop" encircling it which comes from the SKIM module mounted at the top of the steering wheel.
The skim module energizes the chip and reads back the code.

Some owners have opened up the keys and removed the chip and re-inserted it into a pre-cut new key.....so you will need one key to lock/unlock the doors and another key with the chip to operate SKIS ant-theft.

For me it would not be a problem having a new key cut, remove the chip and insert it into a new key as I have a separate fob to open/close the doors...the ignition key has no buttons on it!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can take the guts out of your factory key and move them to another key (like one of those ebay blanks) and then get it cut - good as new. I've done that countless times.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take the guts out of your factory key and move them to another key (like one of those ebay blanks) and then get it cut - good as new. I've done that countless times.

Yep. I’ve done the same thing. Even bought some unprogrammed Chrysler fob of the right kind frequency (miscut keys) and used those oem guts in a new key blank.
There are a lot of choices but none as tough as the oem which I cannot find a equivalent of. The very cheap replacements have a screw holding in the key blank (I had one of these break) , some of the better ones actually fit the oem board and rubber seal/buttons, seem to be working fine so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I probably should explain that I wanted to take the chip out so I could glue it near the ignition cylinder. That way I'd be able to use a plain old cheap copy and still be able to start and drive the car.

I opened up the original key, and, what I think is the chip, is soldered onto the board. It looks similar to this one:
You must be registered for see images attach

I think the solder just holds the chip in place rather than making any electrical connection to the rest of the device. De-soldering it seems like a risky venture, though, esp. considering it's the only working key I've got.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trouble with this plan is that if anybody gets a blank key duplicate then the SKIS system is overridden and your Jeep is gone!

Rather get some new keys cut and programmed.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew someone who taped a key near the transponder in the dash so he could use regular keys.
I’d rather have the security system work as intended over convenience, but I get why you’d want to creat a work around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
How many keys (w/ transponder!) do you have currently? If you have at least two you can buy a third for around $20 and program it yourself.

My Jeep got broken into four years ago and the only reason I still have it is that the transponder security system saved my bacon. I'm in the camp that says to let it do its job as designed. The crooks did $2,000 damage, of which I was on the hook for a $500 deductible. Even having to pay the dealer the outrageous sum they charge would have been better than trying to disable the security system.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many keys (w/ transponder!) do you have currently?

I only have one =(

I checked with a local locksmith and he said he could make another one for $75 (non-remote one, I assume). Not a clone, but a programmed one similar to what a dealer would do for $240. I'll need to go with a remote one since, for some reason, opening the driver door with the key sets the alarm off every time.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have one =(

I checked with a local locksmith and he said he could make another one for $75 (non-remote one, I assume). Not a clone, but a programmed one similar to what a dealer would do for $240. I'll need to go with a remote one since, for some reason, opening the driver door with the key sets the alarm off every time.

On my 2002 Export CRD if I lock the doors using my separate key fob and then unlock the door using the key instead of the key fob remote....the alarm goes off!

Obviously to stop someone with a cut key from breaking into the Jeep.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have one =(

You can buy remote keys on ebay and likely Amazon that will work when programmed. I had the 2 keys from the factory and I programmed the new ones using info from the owners manual after having them cut at a hardware store.

Once you have 2 programmed keys(not clones) you can have a few others cut and program yourself

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That $75 key sound like it’d likely be a clone on the key you do have. Not a bad option.
To add a new key they need to program your Jeep to accept the new key. If they clone it all they need is your working key at their shop. You’ll need a new key added in the computer ( for a total of two different transponder signal keys) to be able to program you own in the future.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
check with some local Ace hardware stores.

That is a good suggestion. I have seen their display in the store claiming they can make you a "factory" key for a lot less than the dealer.

As for your dealer wanting $240, the price I was quoted here in Ohio was $150. Maybe check with another dealer?

I was fortunate and had two keys. I made an extra spare for me which I keep separate from the dealer spare (so I can't lose them both at the same time) and also made one which I gave my wife to keep. I hope I never need that one because it will take her three weeks to find it in her purse...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ace hardware will clone it.
My 3rd hand mazda only has one transponder key, I think it was $150 quoted to me.
Also the style of the cloned key set will not be OEM.

Latest posts

Members online