Transmition ATF4 low will not move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAYAKER2

Reaction score
This morning I had to add 2 quarts ATF4 to get the CRD automatic to move
Nothing showing on the stick when running.

Temp. 5.deg F The block heater was plugged in. No leaks were found. What could cause fluid to disappear? Has been shifting fine.

Parking inside to warm it up today and then checking the level in better light.
I am going over service records to find out when the dealer changed the torque converter. And if it could be a Euro converter upgrade they put in?

I asked myself Do you feel lucky?
kayaker2
Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to have a leak or something , ATF fluid just doesn't disappear overnight. How often do you check the fluid levels ?

KAYAKER2

Reaction score
I agree just can not disappear. Not in my driveway or at work.
I Just picked it up last week I did not check the trans level until this morning. I always check all fluids before I buy a used vehicle. This time I didn't check the trans level. there were no leaks.
Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your coolant level been gaining, and looking oily? The in-radiator trans cooler could have split open.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking the trans cooler split too which would explain the loss without the drip.

KAYAKER2

Reaction score
Maybe found the problem. I'm glad it wasn't mixing with the coolant. trans cooler lines very wet and dripping. Not loosing ATF while sitting. only under pressure running down the highway.

Man there is not much room inside these engine compartments.
looks like a power steering hose is a bit wet also.
I am getting a P0700 Trans-axle Control System Malfunction also
Kayaker2
Bob

Attachments

• trans cooler lines 2-18-15.jpg
    trans cooler lines 2-18-15.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

KAYAKER2

Reaction score
Almost three weeks have gone by and no noticeable low level on the stick. The 18th was the first time I checked it in two weeks prior to purchasing it. shifts fine now code is gone I have not seen any problems yet. other than replacing hoses.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Mine came back from the torque converter recall two and a half quarts low. I only drove 300 miles before I checked it during an engine oil change. Dealer mechanic told me tc warrenty work only allows adding 1 qt. If more gets spilled/thrown out it doesn't get replaced. Polite call to dealer got hang-up. Polite visit, got thrown out.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i dropped my trans pan today to fix a leaky gasket instead of replacing the trans with atf4 i added it to my engine oil then could not for the life of me figure out why she wouldnt shift into gear hmm maybe cause that dipstick says engine oil you dip sht so do an oil change buy more atf4 whole ordeal cost about $120

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
OY! Don't feel too bad... it's just your turn. Years ago a roommate asked me to look at his car. First oil chance he'd ever done and now it wasn't running right. He'd filled it to the bottom of the oil cap. No concept of dipstick.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow yea my turn indeed next time i will know mistakes happen