Transmission in neutral but Dashboard shows Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThierryL

Reaction score
Hello

I encountered an issue with my Jeep Liberty skyslider when I came back after almost two months. It started well but I wasn't able to move the shifter out of park. I used same technic as last year: force a little bit :-/

I was able to go in reverse, but unable to then move in Drive position. Even Neutral was hard to hit. So I put back the lever to Park mode (still with force) and stopped the engine. Now is starting the problem: my Jeep is in Neutral on the gearbox side as I am able to push it freely, but the dashboard light sees the transmission in Reverse mode so I can no longer start the car.

I checked my rear stop lights and they are working while pressing the pedal, I checked the transmission oil level motor not running so not sure it is a good test, I remove the gear shifter (and broke a piece while removing it so I know I have to buy a new one :-/ ) ...
I tried to move the shift cable manually but nothing is moving. I didnt went under the car to ensure there is no wild dead animal blocking the shift cable.

Question: what can cause this issue where I cannot go from park to reverse to drive and back ? could it be just a sensor or any kind of valve ? (I am a french guy living in Canada and find easier to work on manual gear box than automatic ones. )

Thank you for your response. Good day.

Thierry

garyelledge

Reaction score
Hello

I encountered an issue with my Jeep Liberty skyslider when I came back after almost two months. It started well but I wasn't able to move the shifter out of park. I used same technic as last year: force a little bit :-/

I was able to go in reverse, but unable to then move in Drive position. Even Neutral was hard to hit. So I put back the lever to Park mode (still with force) and stopped the engine. Now is starting the problem: my Jeep is in Neutral on the gearbox side as I am able to push it freely, but the dashboard light sees the transmission in Reverse mode so I can no longer start the car.

I checked my rear stop lights and they are working while pressing the pedal, I checked the transmission oil level motor not running so not sure it is a good test, I remove the gear shifter (and broke a piece while removing it so I know I have to buy a new one :-/ ) ...
I tried to move the shift cable manually but nothing is moving. I didnt went under the car to ensure there is no wild dead animal blocking the shift cable.

Question: what can cause this bloxd io issue where I cannot go from park to reverse to drive and back ? could it be just a sensor or any kind of valve ? (I am a french guy living in Canada and find easier to work on manual gear box than automatic ones. )

Thank you for your response. Good day.

Thierry
Based on the information you provided, it sounds like you have a faulty shift interlock solenoid or a broken shift cable. The shift interlock solenoid is a device that prevents you from shifting out of park unless the brake pedal is pressed. If the solenoid is stuck or damaged, it can prevent you from moving the shifter or cause it to be misaligned with the transmission. The shift cable is a metal wire that connects the shifter to the transmission. If the cable is broken or stretched, it can also cause the shifter to be out of sync with the transmission.

To diagnose the problem, you will need to access the shifter assembly and the shift cable. You can try to manually override the shift interlock solenoid by inserting a small screwdriver into the slot next to the shifter and pushing it down while moving the shifter. If this works, then the solenoid is likely the culprit. If not, then you will need to check the shift cable for any signs of damage or slack. You can also try to adjust the cable by loosening the nut on the cable end and moving it until the shifter and the transmission are aligned.

Members online

No members online now.