CRD won’t start when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyoungm

Reaction score
greetings. I have a 2006 liberty CRD that is not starting when it is cold. And when I say cold, I mean parked overnight at 45° - 50°F.
It will start when warmed up by the block heater. After about 8 to 10 seconds of cranking.
It throws no applicable codes.
I replaced the original 7V ceramic glow plugs with 7 V steel glow plugs this week — No change in starting performance.
This problem began occurring about a month ago. If I plug in the block heater for an hour, the car starts.
If I drive the car, it will restart without a problem after sitting for an hour or two.
Your knowledge and experience are appreciated.
When running, it sounds great, runs like a top, gets great mileage.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a Voltmeter over the Glow plugs to see what voltage you get with respect to ground while cranking!
You can expect to some voltage drop but it should not go too low!

The winters here in South Africa are usually not too cold....I disconnected all the Glow Plugs and could still start my 2002 CRD with a lot of smoke and bucking but it started OK! :)

You may need new Glow Plugs!

billyoungm

Reaction score
Put a Voltmeter over the Glow plugs to see what voltage you get with respect to ground while cranking!

The winters here in South Africa are usually not too cold....I disconnected all the Glow Plugs and could still start my 2002 CRD with a lot of smoke and bucking but it started OK! :)

Thanks. I have new glow in it now. Still not starting when cold.
I attached a test light to thw

billyoungm

Reaction score
Thanks. But I just put new glow plugs in it. Today I was able to test the number one glow plug by disconnecting it, and a test light to the lead. It lit brightly when I turned the ignition on. It’s difficult to test the other three glow plugs

budget76

Reaction score
If power/amps to glow plug is reduced for like bad old wires, you voltage when on will be low and amps low and heat low. You need test voltage at plug while working/engaged/activated. If voltage and amps are proper, then glow plugs are not the issue. I am assuming the plugs are ok for this comment.

Members online

No members online now.