Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious to hear some feedback on this:

Wife's transmission has been slipping for a few weeks, maybe longer. I just hear about it when it gets bad. Has a P0700 code. Don't know when it was serviced last, gets driven hard and put away wet. Mostly city driving. It's getting to the point where it needs to get repaired. A quote from a local and reputable rebuilder is $2500 which is for transmission rebuild, TC, pumps, clutches, etc. No JY parts. 2 yr/24k mile parts and labor warranty. This is out of my league to work on and just curious to hear from others on the pricing versus what's being provided.

Thanks in advance.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, P0700 is just a generic, "Hey, the TCM found a problem" code... I'd say take it to the dealer and have them read the code on the TCM (you cannot use an OBDII reader for this and need a special Dealer tool). It may need a rebuilt transmission, or it may just need a sensor replaced.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies...I should have been clearer. I had it scanned with a WiTech/StarScan a week or so ago and was told the torque converter and clutches were slipping. The fluid temp was high and level was low. That, in addition to the other driveability problems leads me to think it's time for a complete rebuild. At 145k my wife likes the vehicle and would prefer to keep it for a while rather than get a monthly payment.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used one installed for about $1400. But that was a favor, no paperwork with it, payed cash. With mileage that high, I would do the same. Even if you get 50-60k out of it, that's pretty good for the mileage you're at. I'm actually looking to get another one soon. I have a feeling this one will go in less than a year. I gave up on servicing it before I even managed to service it once because it started doing some whacky things right away. But about 70k miles later I still have the trans in. So.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you can verify mileage on a used ******, I'd be really hesitant of installing one that's 5,000 from throwing craps.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where i am at as well rebuild replace or keep sitting on it till she dies completely. Then i will hack her up in to little pieces and feed her to a new liberty.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used transmission on eBay from an auto recycler with a boatload of good feedback, documented miles (fewer than mine) with a short warranty and installed it in my backyard. That was 18,000 miles ago without a single issue.

With new sensors, new fluid and filter, 2 cans of line/cooler cleaner, new oxygen sensors, new exhaust bolt retainer things, engine oil & filter, serpentine belt and tensioner, new battery, air filter, pcv valve, plugs, new front & rear brake pads and rotors and something else I can't remember at the moment, I still spent under $1000.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all. I'm kind of over the barrel on this one: she needs the car sooner rather than later (returning to work), I'm away for stretches of time and can't work on it myself, and my cars are strictly off limits. This is the perfect example of why I hate last-minute repairs. Two weeks earlier, even one week earlier, and I would have had more options and I know she's paying a premium compared to the options. My only hope is that she keeps the Jeep for another several years where the sting won't as bad.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she plans to keep the Jeep for a while, I'd go ahead and have the trans rebuilt.

novratil

Reaction score
Throw some slick 50 high milage conditioner. Remove the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. It clears the codes. Worked great for me. Change the filter first. Add ****** fluid and the slick fifty.
I swear by the product. I also added slick 50 engine oil treatment. 145000.00 miles now and still going strong. P0700 is a generic ****** code saying you have issues. This may give you more life out of the ******. Also install a ****** cooler. The 13 bolt trannys run hot.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, it has issues. Just saw it opened and some of the components taken apart. I've never seen that volume of metal shavings in one pan. And I don't think there should be random pieces of metal chunks floating around in there either.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's transmission has been slipping for a few weeks, maybe longer. I just hear about it when it gets bad.

I get the same thing with my kids. "My car is making a noise when I turn". "Did it just start doing that"? I ask. "No, it's been doing that for a couple few weeks". "Why didn't you just wait till the wheel fell off then". I say.
Earlier detection may or may not have helped you. But waiting certainly didn't do it any favors. Do you have actual metal chunks, or shavings in the pan?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she plans to keep the Jeep for a while, I'd go ahead and have the trans rebuilt.

That's where I am with my Liberty. It's been paid for, and with the price of new cars - or even late model used cars - it will take a significant event for me to dump the KJ. I've already swapped most of the drivetrain out (with the exception of the transfer case) and even then I've run the numbers and I'm still ahead of where I'd be if I'd purchased a new vehicle.

Only thing that would/will force me to get rid of the Jeep is body & chassis rust. That bloody cancer gets expensive to repair properly and even then - once it starts - there's not much that can be done.

If the OP's wife enjoys the Libby that much I say put in a rebuilt ******. Even at $2500 that's less than a year's worth of car payments and insurance on a new(er) vehicle.

Bob

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal chunks and shavings. After seeing it firsthand, I'm impressed it drove as long as it did. The fluid was dirty, smelled burnt, and at this point, I think it's money well spent to get it back on the road in a few days.

Bob - Not much rust at all. Just some spots at the bottom of the door panels. Good point about the cost vs payments; I quickly did some math on a newer used Jeep or another smaller SUV and the cost is the rebuild is about half of the higher insurance premiums, not even taking into consideration the loan, etc.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chunks and shavings? Yikes...I'm impressed it was still going at all.

Mine only had shavings (along with chunks of friction material) and it had no reverse whatsoever. Actually, it only had 2nd gear.