Camshaft Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtbagjack

Reaction score
About a year ago my jeep liberty died, today it is alive and well. I towed it to my parents house and worked for a few seasons and bought parts to fix it. My dad is an engineer and helped me. We did an engine rebuild and it ran for a bit then it wouldn’t start. After that we replaced the fuels pump/filter because it wasn’t getting fuel, then we checked the plugs and coils and it still wouldn’t start. She was throwing all sorts of codes that seemed to be random and these codes “problems” did not need fixing. Last week we decided to check electronics/sensors and found that the camshaft position sensor wire was all messed up. We replaced the sensor and the wire and she fired right up. No issues thus far! I’m gonna drive it across the country to keep working as a river guide after breaking the engine in a little more. Wanted to post this info in case people were having the same trouble, because ut was quite frustrating to be playing with this thing for weeks trying to find the problem. Hope this little bit helps with any issues y'all have! :)

joshcsmith13

Reaction score
Love it! Thanks DBJ.
I'm wondering if there's something similar, but much less severe, going on with my son's '02. It burns a bit of oil, but generally runs pretty well. However, once you get above 3000 RPM, you can hear some clattering in the engine. I'm in no position to do an engine rebuild, but I'm wondering what kind of checking I could do in an effort to prevent major damage.