Transmission Pan Gasket Fluid Leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mopar makes a OEM transmission skid, but it's pretty flimsy in off-road situations. Better than nothing, however. It mounts on the crossmember to the front and rear of the transmission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank You Jayme!
Even though My Rocky Mtn Edition came with fuel,transfer, front suspension skids, I had no Idea one was available in from Jeep for ******. Interesting ..Thanks!
I just searched the OEM One and around $55 and found install pdf guide as well.http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/82210003/partinfo.aspx?DivisionId=1&Year=2005&VehicleId=24&_Model=M&Series=M&CategoryId=1006&GroupId=2034&SubGroupId=3160&pc=27195 will call the dealer here to get Can$ quote!
The Skidrow http://www.skidplates.com/Engine_02_KJ.asp#is expensive at $286 but I am sure it is bulletproof. They also state that...
"It's attached in several locations and if your Jeep came with a factory transfer case skid plate, it requires no drilling for installation."
I just tried cleaning the transmission pan and it looks like I got some left over road salt corrosion happening. The dealer did have it cleaned up ok. Time for a good under body wash...pan could use painting too...and one more skid plate!
37847[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• TrannyPan3.jpg
    TrannyPan3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer Dec 12th re-sealed the transmission pan. Last night Ryan wiped the pan with his hand & it was all wet on bottom of pan. Looks like same place, same bolt leak.
Back to Dealer again, this *****.
Going to take skids off Sat as I need to access the Steering bushing.
So will take it in the week following, to get the pan addresses again.
39731[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• LeakingAgainSameSpot.jpg
    LeakingAgainSameSpot.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

brewandlinz

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Just bought it recently. Took it to the dealer multiple times and they currently working on it now. They are putting a dye in to see where the leak is coming from. Id like to know what they figured out on your Jeep.

Just know I feel your pain!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
On mine it is leaking through the el cheapo stamped pan at one of the bolt holes.
My hopeful solution will be to install a new PML pan.
39907[/ATTACH]"]

May be a while before it arrives here though.
Also link to topic:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48608

Attachments

• PMLTransmissionPan.jpg
    PMLTransmissionPan.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

brewandlinz

Reaction score
Great idea... Ill tell my dealership this is what they need to do or else pay for a new transmission. Hope that will solve it! Much Appreciated!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to Jen for "getting down and boggie" over to Blaine Washington to parcel pick up for me!
Goodbye to the OEM stamped pan with the darn leak at bolt hole!
The 42RLE PML aluminum pan with magnetic drain plug has arrived!
Instructions says 2-4 quarts above stock capacity...hmmmm Lots of ATF+4 now needed!
40538[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• PML42RLEinfo.jpg
    PML42RLEinfo.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out for you. Very nice!

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2nd bolt back from the front, on the drivers side, according to the shop manual needs to have thread seal to prevent leaking.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to note. The bolt that was leaking on stock pan was 2 up from rear, driver's side.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the 2nd from the rear-not sure from memory-I know it was 2nd from somewhere on drivers side. I sealed the correct one cause no leaks. I just used ultra black and made sure to go around holes good and degreased the holes and the bolts on the side that needed thread sealer.
Check out the FSM to be sure which one it specifies.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like very good quality Ryan.
I was thinking of painting it, but would have to use high temp rattle.
Just a layer of anything to the pan may add insulation and not cool as well.
probably going to leave it the white look, what ya think?
I will be happy with it if it actually seals better (more level) and new bolts stop any leaks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the corrosion from salt (not that we get any here)
What color hmmm...
Silver-DK Blue- Red- Black?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Black High Temp auto Paint rattle sounds good.
Just got off the phone from PML.
The rim or mating surface is machined (aluminum Silver), but the interior is textured white.
I was curious if this was sprayed inside and external or what.
Apparently after the sand cast they end up dipping the whole thing in a chemical bath, that is oil impervious, and then machine rim and drain hole etc.
When asked would the external corrode in salt?
There answer was probably not but having an extra coat of paint would not hurt and now is the time to do it as it is perfectly clean.
We offer powder coating. (too bad not a big choice of colors)
So anyways, will see if I can find some proper rattle paint and do the external.
The inside should not get contaminated in any way with the ATF+4...good!
40548[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• PML42RLEInterior.jpg
    PML42RLEInterior.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to order a 42RLE LUBE LOCKER gasket and give that a try as long as the mating surface on ****** is not scored by previous RTV removal.
I have had no luck with RTV whatsoever on the stamped pan.
Since this is going to be the cleanest install possible, a LubeLocker will eliminate RTV.
I have had good luck with lube locker gaskets in the past, never had a leak on other vehicles, so I am also going to get one for the 8.25 diff while I am at it.
42RLE LubeLocker link: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Transmission-and-Transfercase/Transmission-Pan-Gasket-by-LubeLocker.aspx?t_c=69&t_s=381&t_pt=3657&t_pl=103397&t_pn=LULLLR-A042
8.25 LubeLocker link: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Chrysler-8-25in-Lube-Locker-Differential-Gasket.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4018&t_pl=9726&t_pn=LULLLRC825
Ya I know the 42RLE is not the most machined surface or level, which is why all say Use RTV....sorry got to try something new here, and will report hopefully solid non leaky news.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Over At Ryan & Jen's tonight got a bunch of work done including spraying the PML Pan.
Used Tremclad 1200F matt finish. Used masking tape around the bolt holes and may have to do some touch up work there.
40595[/ATTACH]"]

The 42RLE LubeLocker gasket on order form 4wheelparts and should arrive in a week.

Attachments

• PmlPanPainted.jpg
    PmlPanPainted.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0