Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to do my transmission filter this weekend, and will need to ad fluid obviously. My issue is, I have a 2007, which as a lot of you know has no dip stick. Other than measuring how much I drain out, what can I do to make sure I have the correct level of fluid in my transmission after this is said and done? I've had the Jeep for a year and it's at 146k, with no service records, so wanting to get some of the maintenance items done to it.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I've heard you can get a dipstick from an 06 and it will work.I think there is some goofy special tool that is a glorified dipstick that cannot be left in. Other than that I'd just drain, measure and refill with fresh stuff with whatever volume you drained.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, slip in an 06 dipstick, not earlier than that (diff trans). Chrysler started to cheap out in 07 and used plugs instead of dipsticks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, stupid question. I have an '03 so I actually have a dipstick - exactly HOW are you supposed to refill if there's no dipstick? Is the tube still there or what?

I find it hilarious that car manufacturers had to remove dipsticks to keep people from putting the wrong spec fluids - or the wrong type of fluid altogether - into their trannies.

Anyway, humor me if you would :icon_wink:

Bob

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's still the tube, but instead of a dipstick there's a plug that says something to the effect of "we want your money, bring it to the dealer."

I may be paraphrasing, but same basic idea

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
42RLE. No idea how much Chrysler pays for a dipstick versus a plug. Let's say they save a dollar by installing the cheap plug instead of a conventional dipstick. One million vehicles = one million bucks saved. Gee, thanks for that cost saving plug! Here's the procedure using the special dipstick: http://asttool.com/pdf/INSTRUCTIONS_CRY933.pdf

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 will not fit in and 07 it will be to long. Different tube different pan the bolt pattern is the same. The change was done for warranty issue not just to be cheap. If I remember correctly the pan has a bit of a dimple so the stick doesn't rub.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The change was done for warranty issue not just to be cheap.
Translation: to more guarantee the dealer gets the work because that's what the plug says to do. Apparently, most owners nowadays are too stupid to check and fill the fluid level correctly, and in some cases they're right.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Translation: to more guarantee the dealer gets the work because that's what the plug says to do. Apparently, most owners nowadays are too stupid to check and fill the fluid level correctly, and in some cases they're right.

No people were putting in the wrong fluid because they didn't know what the correct fluid was or didn't care. This caused many warranty issues with the transmissions so Chrysler removed the problem altogether and plugged it up.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No people were putting in the wrong fluid because they didn't know what the correct fluid was or didn't care. This caused many warranty issues with the transmissions so Chrysler removed the problem altogether and plugged it up.

Like I said, too stupid to do it correctly! ;)

blackpowder

Reaction score
06 will not fit in and 07 it will be to long. Different tube different pan the bolt pattern is the same. The change was done for warranty issue not just to be cheap. If I remember correctly the pan has a bit of a dimple so the stick doesn't rub.

i have a 2007 [purchased last week] with the trailer package .external oil cooler for transmission ...

would like to know if the 2006 dip stick will fit ?????? if not what other options do i have ??????

i used the search button but did not get a 100% positive answere ...