Crazy idea for a spare transmission

What would you do with your spare 42RLE transmission?

• Save it for the eventual swap you’ll need to do on your 08 KK.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Buy the 07 KJ with the bad transmission and swap it in, and sell it for a profit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the 07 KJ with the bad transmission and swap it in, and keep it as a second vehicle.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • That KJ is overpriced! Negotiate it down to… (let me know in the comments)

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 42RLE VLP transmission for $200 on Craigslist a couple of years ago that only has 80k miles on it, with the intention of replacing the one in my 08 KK when the time comes. Well, I am at 216k miles on my original transmission now and it is still running strong!

I found an 07 KJ with 130k miles on it, that looks super clean, but supposedly has a bad transmission. The 07 uses the same VLP transmission as my 08 and so the spare transmission I have sitting around would be plug and play. The KJ is listed for $2000.

What would you do?

Note: I have on-street parking with no driveway so I would have to swap the transmission at your house. ;)

Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I'm not voting because I can't believe $2000 is a good price for a non-runner or, at least, something with a major fault.

Don't know about a transmission, but I once replace a clutch by the side of the road where it failed.

Oh, & now, I'd wait 'til at least late Spring before taking upturblediesel's offer.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that’s probably wise to hold off until summer in Alaska! :cool: Although I DO appreciate the offer, @turblediesel.

I am curious how much a clean low-ish mileage KJ with a bad transmission should go for. What do you all think? @Deb'nKJ, I made a new voting option for you. :)

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 42RLE VLP transmission for $200 on Craigslist a couple of years ago that only has 80k miles on it, with the intention of replacing the one in my 08 KK when the time comes. Well, I am at 216k miles on my original transmission now and it is still running strong!

I found an 07 KJ with 130k miles on it, that looks super clean, but supposedly has a bad transmission. The 07 uses the same VLP transmission as my 08 and so the spare transmission I have sitting around would be plug and play. The KJ is listed for $2000.

What would you do?

Note: I have on-street parking with no driveway so I would have to swap the transmission at your house. ;)
last one i bought with a 'bad' transmission was my 06. I crawled under the day I went to check him out. Gal told the transmission slipped pretty bad. As I was under the jeep, I noticed the 'bad' transmission leaking fluid. Right in front of the pan. Turns out, the clip holding the cooler lines had rubbed a pin hole in one of the lines and was spitting out a fine stream. 500 bucks later, he was in my driveway. Lines patched up, topped up fluid and good to go. He needed a lot of other work, but the 'bad' transmission was a non-factor. May luck be with you. Price - depends on rusty rockers. Yes? 500 or so. No, maybe 1200 - 15oo depending on his overall looks,etc.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be amazing to find it is something insignificant like that. I am tempted to go have a look at this thing. Would it have a P0700 code for low ATF+4 fluid or not?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think the p0700 code means there are transmission codes that need to be read. Not a computer or transmission expert though.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I believe that's the ECU fault code to tell you that you need a better scanner to read the transmission controllers fault codes!

And I'd be tempted with the other Jeep but it seems expensive compared to what I'd pay here for a non runner with a potentially expensive gearbox fault, the equivalent Range Rover (the horrible 5L40E way out of its power rating on a 3ltr TD!) would be around 800 ~ 1200 here ( I used that as I guess they are as common here as Jeep are where you are)

Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I think that’s probably wise to hold off until summer in Alaska! :cool: Although I DO appreciate the offer, @turblediesel.

I am curious how much a clean low-ish mileage KJ with a bad transmission should go for. What do you all think? @Deb'nKJ, I made a new voting option for you. :)
Thanks - I voted, I mean it would be churlish not to.

As KJowner says it's difficult for us given differences in markets/prices/availability (& I'm not sure about the RR/KJ comparison) but when I bought mine (3.7, auto, 120,000 miles, no known faults), 2 years ago, for £1200, there were plenty going for £600, some with faults, mostly just scabby, many had failed inspection - or they'd simply expired. Prices generally have gone up since then, but KJ's haven't suddenly become very desirable, & they're along way off becoming collectable. Given replacing KJ is probably cheaper than just its trans. I can't see how it can be worth more than $500 (think parts/scrap value as a starting point).

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2k is only worth it if the rest of the jeep is pristine, or it has something more rare going for it (renegade gear complete and good condition, very little rust if any, and unmolested otherwise).

Whenever I am looking at a mechanic special like this, I feel out the seller though, sometimes you get total rubes who are convinced they know and that can go either way ("no low ball, i know what i have") type stuff. Some folks are painful to haggle with.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 years ago a new 42rle without the "tail" of 4x4. I have it in my garage waiting for a bad performance, functioning of my 4x4 06 kj.....
It was sold by a dealer here in Venezuela

I suppose I can swap it in my kj and add the tail to the new transmission, can't I?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. The tail section can be transplanted over to the new unit along with the transfer case.

I decided to save my spare transmission for the inevitable as well.

Members online

No members online now.