TPMS System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kameechewa

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Limited and for years now my tire light has been flashing off and on which the manual says indicates a system fault and I've come to the conclusion that the RKE module needed replaced. Well I got my tax return and thought I'd take it to get fixed. I went to Tire Rama and they said all the wheels are reporting and batteries are full so they couldn't find any issue. They told me to go to the dealer, which made me cringe instantly, and have them check it out. So I take it in and the dealer tells me that the spare and front left tire were set as the front left which caused an issue. They said they did a hard reset on the module and repaired all the tires. Cost me $136.40. Then he says "that should fix the issue, we drove for 7 miles and the light was off the whole time. If it comes back on just come in and we'll have to replace the module, but it's gonna cost a lot more". And as usual, I drive a couple miles away and the light comes back on. So I go back to the dealer, they ask for my car back and I say that I can't because I am already late for work and I'm everyone's ride home when we close so I need my car. He seemed irritated and had me make an appointment for the next day same time.

So I drop my car off, 3:12 later they leave a voicemail saying "Hey Dakota this is Paul, we did figure out what's going on with your Liberty. It does look like it needs that wireless control module. With the wireless control module you have to get keys as well because the keys you have now will now will not communicate with the new modules. So give me a call and I'll give you some prices and we'll go from there. Thanks". So I'm upset because they've had my car there twice and they have fixed nothing, only to tell me what I already knew.

Also, I told them when I got there that the module was bad and it needed replaced, they said they would check it out instead. The first time he also said it would only take 45 minutes to an hour to check it out and I didn't get it back until 3:10 later. Now here's another annoying part. When I dropped it off the second time he asked if I would be staying or picking it up, I said I'd be picking it up but not until late because I work, he said we close at 7 so we can just park it on the street for you to get later, I said ok. So it's 12:30 at night, I'm finally having a friend take me to get my car, and go figure, it's sitting in their lot locked in so I can't get it. Now I'm even more mad.

Back to the keys, I don't believe them. Either there really is a new module that is fundamentally different and needs new keys or they're trying to get more money from me. Because if it's just a replacement module then my existing keys can just be reconnected. Also, he told me there's currently a service bulletin out for my same problem, I asked him about it and he said it doesn't actually do anything for you, it's not a recall, it's just Jeep saying it's a common problem. So like why isn't it a recall then? Why am I paying for a defective part? Do I have any grounds to do anything? I'm not made of money and it just seems like they want to throw me a around until they get bored of me. I'd like to at least get what I already paid discounted from when/if I actually get the module replaced, or go somewhere else. Sorry if this is structured poorly, I'm ranting at 1 am.

Update: So they called me and said it's going to cost $978 to fix. LOL I don't think so, what a load of shit. Is there anywhere I can go and have it done cheaper?

Update 2: So they gave me a quote still with the part numbers and all and the only thing they're replacing is the SKREEM PN: 56053020AG. It's my understanding that this part has to be paired with my car or my car won't run for more than 2 seconds as it controls the key fobs. So I wouldn't be able to replace the part myself unless I hauled it somewhere afterwards to have the computer stuff done.

Last edited: