Replacing 20028 TPMS Sensors with 29227

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine very few Liberty's still have a working TPMS, but I thought I would post this for those that many need it. Many years ago, I replaced the factory sensors with the 20028 Schrader TPMS sensors and all was well. Had no issues training them with the magnet and they lasted many years. Recently one of them simply died, no low battery or anything. The Jeep kept thinking I had replaced the tire with the spare and would show its pressure, which I keep around 40 PSI. When I tried to buy another 20028 sensor, I discovered they had been replaced with the 29227 sensor which looks completely different. They are fairly cheap from Rockauto, so I grabbed two just to have a spare.

I replaced the sensor but could not get it to train with the magnet. I have an Autel scanner which lets me access the overhead console and I could see the original sensors, but it wouldn't let me reprogram the new sensor. Not sure if that's just a limitation of the Autel or what... Anyway, after thinking about it, I decided to use the Autel to trigger the new sensor while programming the sensors like you normally would with the overhead console. Sure enough, the new sensors cannot be programmed with the magnet, you must use some sort of scanner to trigger the sensors. Could not find this on Schrader's website.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your autel scanner plug into the obd2 or just go wireless? I have the simple one that is limited in what it can do. Can you enter the mode with existing id's and clone the last one that worked to the new one? Mine can't program but can clone.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It plugs into the OBD2 port but it can trigger and read the sensors as a stand alone unit.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it clones or not. I need to play with it some more to figure out everything it can do.

Something else I just noticed, the new sensor is noticeably lighter... I'm interested to see if the wheel will need to be rebalanced.